RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mal Meninga's nephew stars as Vanuatu scrape home in historic encounter

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:40 AM

Vanuatu 22 Niue Islands 20

Mal Meninga's 20-year-old nephew could be with the Gold Coast Titans next year after starring in Vanuatu's historic, nail-biting win over international league newcomers the Niue Islands.

Rangy back-rower Joey Meninga crossed for the home side's second try in a 22-20 win at Port Vila's Municipal Stadium, a result secured in the 78th minute after Niue came back from 10-0 down to lead for much of the second half.

Sunshine Coast Sea Eagle Meninga was seen talking to Gold Coast official Matt Francis at fulltime on Saturday and it's understood the possibility of a move to the tourist strip was discussed.

“I'm not sure about next year – I'm still keen to play footy, I'm just looking for another club to go to,” Meninga told Fairfax Media.

Advertisement

“I want to have a good shot at it now, while I'm still young. My time's coming up now. I don't want to not go for it now and later regret it.

“Every week I'm improving. Hopefully something comes up.”

Joe said his family's connection to Vanuatu went back to great great grandfather Tom, who was relocated to Queensland to work on the cane fields as part of the blackbird movement.

“My great, great grandfather came from Tanna Island,” said Meninga. “He was blackbirded, to work on the sugar cane field. I think it might have been to Bundaberg.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.a...l#ixzz2hZsek423

Vanuatu seem to be developing the game well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users