Excitement

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

As a  nipper (now 72) I enjoyed the excitement of big matches. Is anyone  taking a young boy (or Girl) to their first big event?.

As an old fella I enjoy watching the enthusiasm of young people. NO I have no dark thoughts. I simply wish that I was young again.

My wife and I have tickets for all Wales group games in the World Cup and the Final. I will sing (out of tune) the Welsh National Anthem. Come on Wales.

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Good for you.

#3 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

As a  nipper (now 72) I enjoyed the excitement of big matches. Is anyone  taking a young boy (or Girl) to their first big event?.

As an old fella I enjoy watching the enthusiasm of young people. NO I have no dark thoughts. I simply wish that I was young again.

My wife and I have tickets for all Wales group games in the World Cup and the Final. I will sing (out of tune) the Welsh National Anthem. Come on Wales.

Will be taking my 2 year old (will be 3 when season starts) to her first match(es) next year. Unfortunately it won't be the Cowboys who seem to be her favourites when we've watched NRL this year, but I'm hoping York will do. :D

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#4 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

Taking my two and a half year old to the shay as I would like him to see a game but with the likely hood of him wanting to go home after ten mins I thought it best not to take him to any of the bigger games

#5 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 992 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Taking a one year old yo the WC Opener and Final and slso tee'd up a trip for a bus full from the local Scout group to go to the final!

#6 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

Taking a one year old yo the WC Opener and Final and slso tee'd up a trip for a bus full from the local Scout group to go to the final!

I hope the Scouts really enjoy it and get in to the excitement.

#7 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Before our daughter was even born she had a full Halifax kit waiting. So next year she'll be down at the shay!! I can't wait.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#8 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Some of the earliest memories I have of the game are from big Wembley games. At the age of 7, I remember going to see the Castleford v Wigan cup final as my first ever trip there, and then at the end of that year went back again to the World Cup Final.

Just remember being so excited and felt like a huge event! Loved it!

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

Some of the earliest memories I have of the game are from big Wembley games. At the age of 7, I remember going to see the Castleford v Wigan cup final as my first ever trip there, and then at the end of that year went back again to the World Cup Final.

Just remember being so excited and felt like a huge event! Loved it!

I was 11 when I first went to Wembley for the Wigan v Warrington 1990 final and I remember how excited I was - the stadium was massive, the crowd was noisy and colourful - the Rugby disappointed as a Wire fan, but even despite that it brings back so many good memories.

I look forward to starting a family over the next couple of years and being able to take my own kids to matches to experience that kind of excitment. Nothing beats live sport!

#10 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

My unborn daughter (still in her mums belly of course) will be with us at the opening ceremony.. sure she'll hear it all. Start 'em young i say.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,679 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

For the past two seasons, I've bought Bulls season tickets for my three grandkids ...  two girls and a boy. There's a considerable degree of self-interest here; I thought I would have to do a lot more babysitting after their parents split up. And season tickets were dead cheap.

First year: they didn't want to come

Second year: My younger granddaughter came half a dozen times, my grandson came once.

This year: I've given them the hard word. My elder granddaughter doesn't want to come, my younger granddaughter is really keen and my grandson says he will start coming. So it's two junior season tickets.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

We had an eleven year-old lad from Hull at the Denmark Norway game.  I gave him a few jobs to do, which inlcuded running and getting things for me as I was too lazy.  He briefly came into the changing room with me and met the players and was then one of the ball boys.

He loved it.  His Dad later told me it was one of the best days of his life.  Indeed, the Copenhagen vs Jutland game clashes with the England vs France game and the the two of them will be over to see the former game.

Those sort of things are gold.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#13 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,842 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

The number of people following the RLWC 2013 Facebook page has just topped 30,000, having risen from 20,000 in a bit more than two weeks*.

*Info provided for people who, like me, find positive RLWC news more addictive than crack.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#14 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Both of my daughters will be going to their first ever rugby match for PNG v France.

They both been to the football before though and my eldest was mascot in front of 26,000 people - so I'm afraid I can't convince that this is a big deal.

People called Romans they go the house

#15 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

The number of people following the RLWC 2013 Facebook page has just topped 30,000, having risen from 20,000 in a bit more than two weeks*.

*Info provided for people who, like me, find positive RLWC news more addictive than crack.

Haha! Love it!

#16 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Haha! Love it!

Haha! Me too!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#17 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

They let us out of school early to watch England play France in 1958, England had a winger nick-named the Cornish express, unless I am dreaming, The School was Parr Central in St Helens, a great Rugby League school, the Council knock it down without a whimper from the people of that area, the building was only about 60 years old.

#18 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

Not their first games as they're both fans and play the game, but taking my 15 nephew and 16 year old niece to the semi finals - it will be thier first trip to Wembley and while they're both trying to play it cool I know from their respective mothers how excited they both are.

At a family gathering the other week all they both wanted to do was talk about rugby.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#19 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

I was taken to my first Leeds match in 1986, and they won 5-0 (two pens and a drop). I enjoyed it so much that I became a rugby union fan.

#20 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'm taking my two daughters to the semi final double header. Not their first games but I keep trying to kindle their interest. Now they are older taking them to evening games at Headingley is getting to be more achievable, so planning on more of this in the next few season if they want to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users