London Rugby League - today 4pm

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

I've been ignoring all posts about the structure of the game over the past week, as I'm not going to let the Super League owners spoil my enjoyment of the World Cup, but this programme on BBC London this afternoon should be worth listening to.

It'll be available later as a Rugby League Down South podcast.

The programme will no doubt be in the usual style of informed debate and discussion, rather than ignorant bluster that we tend to get in the north.

http://ianramsdale.t...bbc-london-94-9

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

Do you have a link for the podcast?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 669 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Do you have a link for the podcast?

posted here regularly

http://www.bbc.co.uk...asts/series/lrl

#4 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

Just listened to the podcast and was impressed with the programme.
The view of Phil Caplan to ditch the word rugby from our title was interesting.
The scene below Broncos was pushed and is coming on but the Broncos are an important link in the chain, but the season coming up for Broncos could be a disaster unless a few rabbits or found in the hat.

#5 pwrightbham

pwrightbham
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Any news on stadium for Broncos??

#6 pwrightbham

pwrightbham
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

Just watching barnet on TV at the hive and that would be a great place for broncos not just to play but lay foundations. Massive training facilities, club shop & community focus. It's small but crowds of 3k-5k would be catered for

#7 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Well worth a listen. Anyone with an interest in the game down south should certainly take the trouble to download it.

#8 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

Had a listen and really enjoyed it.

Please, please, put a central fund in or something so at least 1 London club will always be in the SL (within a certain time-frame until self sustainable) so the young people from the South have a team that can take them all the way from child/schoolboy to local London boy made good for England Rugby League team.

Heck, here's a weird idea, how about giving London (whatever team in SL) a 5%-10% bigger cap to sign and keep any Southern/London lad come good?

It would help keep home grown players in the side(s) and it would also help in the development of the game because the locals would be able to relate to them.

#9 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Can I possibly get a run down of the current players from London/South who play in the various SL clubs so I have an idea what type of side you could potentially put together?

Would be fascinating to see what it would look like and see what sort of potential it would have.

Anyone think a team entirely built from the South could have a hope of winning the SL? I ask because I have no idea.

Thanks.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,594 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Well worth a listen. Anyone with an interest in the game down south should certainly take the trouble to download it.

Warning: contains Mike Calvin and his weaselly self-justification of his abusive and badly-written drivel about the Challenge Cup. 

The rest of the podcast is very good.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#11 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

could broncos change to become Westminster wizards ? only an idea as Westminster is a city that doesn't seem to have any major sporting team named after it. Along with the London skolars could be great rivalry between the two cities.

Chief Crazy Eagle

#12 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

Please, please, put a central fund in or something so at least 1 London club will always be in the SL (within a certain time-frame until self sustainable) so the young people from the South have a team that can take them all the way from child/schoolboy to local London boy made good for England Rugby League team.

Heck, here's a weird idea, how about giving London (whatever team in SL) a 5%-10% bigger cap to sign and keep any Southern/London lad come good?

It would help keep home grown players in the side(s) and it would also help in the development of the game because the locals would be able to relate to them.

What is the point of a higher salary cap when London can't afford to pay the current one?

#13 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

A 5% bigger cap, would be a reduction I beleive they already get a 10% London weighting.

What is the time frame for London not to be relegated?  They have been in SL for the full period and not been relegated once?

The down sizing of London is due to a lack of interest and money.  If the London boys and girls where being taken by their parents to watch, then there would not be an issue.

All this is based around a value judgement.  That a London club offers some intangable asset to RL.  Personally I am buying it less and less.  They have not been relegated and there is no certainty they will be next year.  However, I don't buy this protect x club because they are x club.

The problem is the RFL interfere sometimes other times they don't and there is no way to know why.  I don't like the chant everything is the RFL fault, but they certainly create moral hazard by their lack of consistency.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#14 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:45 AM

What is the point of a higher salary cap when London can't afford to pay the current one?

That's why I said they need to work out some way to have a central fund put in place, money would then be no problem and they could keep all the best players the place produces. Once a London team starts winning like any team in any sport, people get interested and start watching. With a home grown team capable of competing and winning would do wonders for the club.

It's only my opinion, but I think RL should never give up growing the game anywhere where the children obviously, want to play it.

#15 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

I totally agree that there should be a london weighting, and it should likely be more than 5-10%. The price of property and transport down there is astronomical compared to Leeds/Manchester. And I don't know how much players make, but don't forget that owt over 40k is taxed at 40% - that puts a hole in any 'extra' they get.

However - what shoud this 'timeframe' be? London have been around in one guise or another for 30 years IIRC. Is that not long enough to expect a team to become self-sustainable? Or will the magic of central funding make everything different so that they can become self-sustaining in, say, 5 years?

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

I totally agree that there should be a london weighting, and it should likely be more than 5-10%. The price of property and transport down there is astronomical compared to Leeds/Manchester. And I don't know how much players make, but don't forget that owt over 40k is taxed at 40% - that puts a hole in any 'extra' they get.

However - what shoud this 'timeframe' be? London have been around in one guise or another for 30 years IIRC. Is that not long enough to expect a team to become self-sustainable? Or will the magic of central funding make everything different so that they can become self-sustaining in, say, 5 years?

There is a London weighting.  It's 10%.

Ian Ramsdale linked to it yesterday.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

There is a London weighting.

Mark Tookey.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#18 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Mark Tookey.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOKEY!

#19 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

There is a London weighting.  It's 10%.

Nowhere near enough IMO - should be at least 100% given that house prices in London are around 3x higher than the north and rising. Where the money comes from is another matter...

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

That's why I said they need to work out some way to have a central fund put in place, money would then be no problem and they could keep all the best players the place produces. Once a London team starts winning like any team in any sport, people get interested and start watching. With a home grown team capable of competing and winning would do wonders for the club.

It's only my opinion, but I think RL should never give up growing the game anywhere where the children obviously, want to play it.

This is a rehash of the Parky 'magic wand" argument whereby all London's problems would be solved if the RFL would just invest £80 million over ten years. The sad reality is that they do not have this money and recent events would suggest that they would not have the power to force SL teams to accept this deal even if they had.

The reality check is that David Hughes loses a couple of a million a year and this isn't enough to see a competitive side on the field. The sixth richest man in the UK (Richard Branson) also found it to be too expensive.

"Find some money somehow" just isn't an answer. What do you cut to give Broncos an extra 4 million or so a year?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users