TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Samoans backed by Government - with conditions...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

The Samoan team at the WC are being backed by the Samoan Government, but this comes with conditions:-

http://www.samoaobse...s-650000-on-toa

We’ve also given [the team] our advice that if they embarrass us again, this is the last tournament the government will assist with. We will stop it.

Also, there's some interesting views on RL by the Samoan PM-

Speaking about Toa Samoa’s preparations, the Prime Minister is confident the team would do well; pointing out that league doesn't involve too many technical drills like scrums and line-outs. He said all rugby league players need to do is pick up the ball, run hard at the opponent and sidestep.

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Oh..

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#3 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,421 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

How were they embarrassed last time?

#4 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

How were they embarrassed last time?

They finished bottom of their group when they were tipped to finish top.

#5 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

The Samoan government have a history of taking the ###### out of RL. A couple of years ago Samoa were supposed to tour the UK and France, it was all planned until the government decided to pull out of funding it and gave the money to Union.

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Samoa has a total population of 177, 714. 28.3 % of the Samoa population is under 15 years of age and 6.3% above 65 years of age. 

#7 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

Roy Asotasi didn't turn up for the flight apparently...

http://www.warringto..._for_World_Cup/

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:16 PM

Roy Asotasi didn't turn up for the flight apparently...

http://www.warringto..._for_World_Cup/

Roy's "lost", apparently. Odd.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

The Samoan government have a history of taking the ###### out of RL. A couple of years ago Samoa were supposed to tour the UK and France, it was all planned until the government decided to pull out of funding it and gave the money to Union.

Hard to get detailed information, but Samoa have always seemed to me to be the least open-minded of the Pacific nations when it comes to RL.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

The issue with the Pacific island Nations is most are extremely poor and rely on aid or royalties to get by.

The cities are pretty well just small towns that are in part shanties, many live in traditional Villages that have not changed much over time.

Much is expected from them that is unrealistic and without the Islanders that have migrated to Oz and NZ and been brought up, developed or born in those countries they would not really be on the RL  (or Union) map.

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Samoa has a total population of 177, 714. 28.3 % of the Samoa population is under 15 years of age and 6.3% above 65 years of age. 

What's more relevant is how many people are qualified to play for Samoa.  How many live in Samoa is neither here nor there.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Understanding Samoa may help understand what happens there.  With a population just ./2 that of Wigan MBC, things in Samo might not be what we think  they are.  No need to reply to this post if you don't find it interesting or relevant.

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Understanding Samoa may help understand what happens there.  With a population just ./2 that of Wigan MBC, things in Samo might not be what we think  they are.  No need to reply to this post if you don't find it interesting or relevant.

My point was that, from what I have been able to glean from the various local news outlets, Tonga and especially Fiji have been a lot more welcoming to our sport, as far as lightly-populated Pacific islands go.

But as you say, unless you take the time to find out in depth what things are like down there, this may just be a misconception. But the Prime Minister's comment was prime Inverdale material.

#14 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Roy's "lost", apparently. Odd.

He was supposedly struggling with an arm injury according to reports the other day and was a doubt. Strange Parish didn't actually say he was injured though.

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

He was supposedly struggling with an arm injury according to reports the other day and was a doubt. Strange Parish didn't actually say he was injured though.

I found something on FaceBook, saying he and John Sutton had been carrying injuries and needed a full off-season recovery programme.

#16 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

If, as we are lead to believe, the RLWC makes a large profit, money should be channelled into developing Rugby League in the islands  IMO.

When the NRL got its billion dollar TV deal there were sound bites about developing talent in the South Pacific.  I've heard nothing about this since. Having visited Fiji a few years back and seen kids playing both RL and RU, I would say the untapped talent in the region is enormous.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#17 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

Apparently (in 2006) 39,992 people living in Australia claim Samoan ancestry. 15,244 of them being born in Samoa.

To be honest, I thought it'd be more!
Posted Image

#18 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

If, as we are lead to believe, the RLWC makes a large profit, money should be channelled into developing Rugby League in the islands  IMO.

When the NRL got its billion dollar TV deal there were sound bites about developing talent in the South Pacific.  I've heard nothing about this since. Having visited Fiji a few years back and seen kids playing both RL and RU, I would say the untapped talent in the region is enormous.

I think it would be better used to develop northern hemispere rugbyleague

#19 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

I think it would be better used to develop northern hemispere rugbyleague

I'm not saying give them all the money, just a fair sized crack of the whip. 

If RL is to grow, the international game has to grow.  In my opinion it would take less money for the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG to be brought nearer to the standard set by Australia, NZ and England than it would Ireland, Scotland & Wales.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#20 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

So if players in an R/L game only have to perform those elements described by Samoa's PM, what does he imagine that those playing onion have to do to score when running the ball, or is he like so many onionista's, content with a downpour of penalty goals to decide the outcome of games, doesn't require much thinking about does it? 

Sorry, I completely forgot that Onion is an intellectual game played by those that are also inevitably; intellectual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users