Photo
- - - - -

Samoans backed by Government - with conditions...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm not saying give them all the money, just a fair sized crack of the whip.

If RL is to grow, the international game has to grow. In my opinion it would take less money for the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG to be brought nearer to the standard set by Australia, NZ and England than it would Ireland, Scotland & Wales.

Surely since there are significant populations of Pacific Islanders living in Sydney itself, and nearly all of the Tongan/Samoan/Cooks/Fijian squads are NRL based, it'd make sense for them to play internationals in Sydney during the NRL season and use money made from that to develop the game there?
Posted Image

#22 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

Samoans officially welcomed to Warrington, there is a really good haka performed by local schoolkids at the start of the video.

http://www.warringto...gton/Page1.html

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#23 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Surely since there are significant populations of Pacific Islanders living in Sydney itself, and nearly all of the Tongan/Samoan/Cooks/Fijian squads are NRL based, it'd make sense for them to play internationals in Sydney during the NRL season and use money made from that to develop the game there?

In 2001 the Samoan population in NZ was 115,000.  It has grown considerably since.  There are more Samoans living in Auckland than in any town or city in Samoa itself.

For many years Samoan RU has held trials for its international teams in NZ - which has always made snide remarks about heritage players in Samoan RL teams a bit annoying.

www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#24 WelshpoolMarauder

WelshpoolMarauder
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

No problem with the first bit - why should governments fund teams (please note, I said teams, not sports, before anyone works themselves into a froth) that don't perform to something like their potential in these sort of events? It's only the same as the way funding works over here, it's just that the Samoans have been a bit more blunt about it!

I can't imagine the Samoans have got the largest funding pot to begin with, so why not be open about this sort of stuff? They expect some sort of return on the money they're spending, which could, and probably should, be used for something more worthwhile in the grand scheme of things.

As for the second bit, it's actually pretty ironic - for years Samoa (and the other Pacific Nations) have been known in rugby union for being good at the running and hitting hard bit, but lacking in the technical departments, so quite why he feels he can get sniffy about stuff like that is beyond me.

#25 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thought I spotted Freddy Tuilagi in the touring party - is he involved?

#26 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

Not sure if Freddie is officially in the Samoa RLWC tour party, but I think he has previously held a "tour manager" title before for the Samoan national team.

I'm sure I read somewhere that he is a player agent nowadays with clients in both RL & RU.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#27 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Well they lost today. But how proud should the Samoan government be of their men?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#28 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:27 PM

After watching that the Samoans should be giving that team lifetime honours and if I was the president I would worry if that 125kg prop ever gets into politics!

Great game and has set the competition alight

#29 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

And what about Sean Long in a Samoan top - big smile well done lad on the field at the end enjoying the feeling with the players

#30 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

Well they lost today. But how proud should the Samoan government be of their men?

I've just spent 10 minutes searching for this thread!

They should be so proud it's unreal. I think someone should put the game on a DVD and show it to him.

#31 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

one can only hope he loses his next election. And I really really hope that the game gets a good airing in Samoa. Awesome stuff

#32 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

Just got around to watching the NZ v Samoa game.  If the Prime minister doesn't believe that those 17 players represented the Island with 100% effort, 100% passion, 100% physicality mixed in with no short measure of skill, he must be the thickest leader on the planet!

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#33 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,568 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

Just got around to watching the NZ v Samoa game.  If the Prime minister doesn't believe that those 17 players represented the Island with 100% effort, 100% passion, 100% physicality mixed in with no short measure of skill, he must be the thickest leader on the planet!

Judging by his comment, he is the thickest leader on the planet. A few too many blows to the head playing RU, I'd guess.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#34 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 818 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

I am hoping that Samoa will win their next two games (even if it does sadly mean the elimination of PNG) so they finish second in their group and play Fiji in the next round. Suc a match up would have to be refereed by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#35 Aucks Warriors

Aucks Warriors
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

U heard that the Samoan PM was made patron of the SRL a few years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users