TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 phildog

phildog
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Excuse me, I'm confused! I was of the understanding that this competition was due to be played in Britain, in late October when the weather is likely to be overcast, probably a bit on the dampish side and likely to be around 10 to 12 degrees. it appears that I was wrong!! It is obviously being played at altitude, in hot, sweaty conditions where stamina will be called into serious question. Why do I presume that? Because we've got a full squad of players jollying out in South Africa, full pay and backing from the RFL, whilst the same body can't stand up to SL clubs and TELL them what's going to happen in 2 seasons' time and be prepared to put the same money into backing their argument. They're letting SL (Lenigan in the guise of the White Night of SL, egging on the others to defiance) dictate instead of stamping their authority on the subject.

#2 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Excuse me, I'm confused! I was of the understanding that this competition was due to be played in Britain, in late October when the weather is likely to be overcast, probably a bit on the dampish side and likely to be around 10 to 12 degrees. it appears that I was wrong!! It is obviously being played at altitude, in hot, sweaty conditions where stamina will be called into serious question. Why do I presume that? Because we've got a full squad of players jollying out in South Africa, full pay and backing from the RFL, whilst the same body can't stand up to SL clubs and TELL them what's going to happen in 2 seasons' time and be prepared to put the same money into backing their argument. They're letting SL (Lenigan in the guise of the White Night of SL, egging on the others to defiance) dictate instead of stamping their authority on the subject.

What you present here has simply no logic to it.

You have tried to use your anger at the players using high altitude training to argue against the current dispute between the RFL and SLE. One does not follow the other.

The RFL are using their scant resources to ensure that the team that is representing the main host nation is as prepared for the games to come as they can be. High altitude does not only prepare athletes for matches at high altitude. Do your research before you posit this argument.  

The argument with SLE is an entirely different entity. The RFL do not have the greatest resources, but were prepared, I believe, to redistribute some of the funding from within the game to a wider range of teams. I suspect that this is one, though not the only one, reason behind the Lenaghan revolt!

Edited by distantdog, 14 October 2013 - 07:11 PM.

#3 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

I can't quite see the link either? What's worth pointing out is that the RFL's hands are pretty much tied in terms of dealing with the SL clubs. Super League is pretty much controlled by SKY, as they are the main investors in the sport at that level - and ours, for that matter. Any split would mean the loss of any SKY funds for the game as a whole. If you can think of another benefactor who would plough that sort of money into the game at our level, then good luck. Still failing to see your link between altitude training for a major tournament in South Africa and the rest of your post, I hasten to add.

Posted Image

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

You have tried to use your anger at the players using high altitude training to argue against the current dispute between the RFL and SLE. One does not follow the other.

The RFL are using their scant resources to ensure that the team that is representing the main host nation is as prepared for the games to come as they can be. High altitude does not only prepare athletes for matches at high altitude. Do your research before you posit this argument.  

The argument with SLE is an entirely different entity. The RFL do not have the greatest resources, but were prepared, I believe, to redistribute some of the funding from within the game to a wider range of teams. I suspect that this is one, though not the only one, reason behind the Lenaghan revolt!

Good post.

One point though - why didn't Wales & Scotland enjoy the same benefits as England regarding training resources?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Good post.

One point though - why didn't Wales & Scotland enjoy the same benefits as England regarding training resources?

Hmm, it's not like the RFL to have favorites!

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#6 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

I'm more worried that they are wasting their valuable resources on a proven loser like Steve Macnamara. :shout:

#7 phildog

phildog
  • 335 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

GOR, agree entirely. usually an international coach is appointed after some modicum of success at club level!! My point I feel has been made by the responses from the first two replies. SL is not actually a RFL body, yet the RFL's World Cup success bid is reliant on SL players. Let's not argue the abilities point of SL and Championship (RFL) players here. The fact is that the RFL is allowing an outside body to dictate to it in the way the RFL wishes to operate. if SL doesn't wish the RFL to help its' clubs improve and expand, then let it go its' own way. Re; training - what was the need to go to South Africa? Other teams taking part have come to this country, (Italy, PNG, etc) where the competition is, to acclimatise to the conditions in which they are likely to play i.e. wet, cold. Makes sense to me, nobody from Wales, Ireland, Scotland etc has flown to Australia or New Zealand (regulars winners of the competition) to breathe in the atmosphere of success and/or ability in their search to prepare. Sorry to upset the collective atmosphere of euphoria, but the whole thing is upside down; the tail (however rich and successful it may be) is wagging the dog.

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

GOR, agree entirely. usually an international coach is appointed after some modicum of success at club level!! My point I feel has been made by the responses from the first two replies. SL is not actually a RFL body, yet the RFL's World Cup success bid is reliant on SL players. Let's not argue the abilities point of SL and Championship (RFL) players here. The fact is that the RFL is allowing an outside body to dictate to it in the way the RFL wishes to operate. if SL doesn't wish the RFL to help its' clubs improve and expand, then let it go its' own way. Re; training - what was the need to go to South Africa? Other teams taking part have come to this country, (Italy, PNG, etc) where the competition is, to acclimatise to the conditions in which they are likely to play i.e. wet, cold. Makes sense to me, nobody from Wales, Ireland, Scotland etc has flown to Australia or New Zealand (regulars winners of the competition) to breathe in the atmosphere of success and/or ability in their search to prepare. Sorry to upset the collective atmosphere of euphoria, but the whole thing is upside down; the tail (however rich and successful it may be) is wagging the dog.

The RFL is governed by the clubs and others who all have votes according to their status. Hence the RFL can't dictate to these clubs unless they themselves authorise the body to do so (e.g as in the case of salary caps). Any changes to the constitution must be endorsed by the clubs via an EGM and this has yet to take place having been postponed by the RFL. I don't agree with the actions that have been taken by the SL clubs involved but there has been nothing incorrect nor unconstitutional about it, nor can the RFL tell them what to do.

Your original premise is wrong, as is this one, but do keep digging if you insist.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

I'm more worried that they are wasting their valuable resources on a proven loser like Steve Macnamara. :shout:

An easy target GOR.

Tell me, of the current British coaches who might be keen to take on the role at this stage in their careers, who would you choose that would be clearly better?

I can think of only one, and such a suggestion wouldn't be well received on this board I reckon.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

From what I read online, very few heartland supporters are going to the  World Cup games.Any of you guys going?

#11 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

Yup

#12 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,386 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:04 AM

From what I read online, very few heartland supporters are going to the World Cup games.Any of you guys going?

nah!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#13 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

From what I read online, very few heartland supporters are going to the  World Cup games.Any of you guys going?

What world cup?

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#14 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

An easy target GOR.

Tell me, of the current British coaches who might be keen to take on the role at this stage in their careers, who would you choose that would be clearly better?

I can think of only one, and such a suggestion wouldn't be well received on this board I reckon.

Of course he's an easy target BSJ, he regularly sticks his addled head above the parapet with a "shoot me" sign pinned to it. My issue with the bloke is his confused selection policies. If your idea of a good team is to pick a selection of Southern hemisphere players deemed not good enough to play for their own countries, then he's your man. If you want a team with the worlds oldest slowest and most ineffective stand off (at international level) in it - yeah, tick that box. Macnamarra often doesn't pick players on current form, but on the kind of gut instinct that took Bradford to the basement end of SL. What's the betting the starting line up will contain Sinfield at stand off and Ablett in the centre, which should guarantee the Aussies a field day down the middle. Why no Danny Houghton - currently the best hooker in the league, why no Danny Brough - the 2013 man of steel for gods sake (and I hate the little buggar) - I could go on, and probably am doing ,,, grrrrr.

I agree JK would make a far better option, but why does the coach have to be British ? How about Paul Cullen, Bobby Goulding ....anybody but PM.

#15 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hya Frank, BISSA are running a trip to the World Cup Semi Finals at Wembley ( Double Header) from the Mount in November. The trip is oversubscribed so there WILL be a bus of 56 going down for what will be a brilliant weekend. Also yesterday on local radio it was announced the game at the John Smiths stadium Eng v Ireland was sold out.

Colinb.

ps. Thanks for your long distant support of BISSA.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#16 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

....anybody but PM.

Are you dising my credentials to manage the England squad GOR? And to think I was gonna pick you and BSJ as my wingers!

#17 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Are you dising my credentials to manage the England squad GOR? And to think I was gonna pick you and BSJ as my wingers!

You missed an "h" out, PM

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#18 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

You missed an "h" out, PM

Oops so I did :lol:

#19 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 565 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

What's the betting the starting line up will contain Sinfield at stand off and Ablett in the centre, which should guarantee the Aussies a field day down the middle.

wrong..Sinfield is at scrum-half! bet Cronk and Thurston are quaking in their boots!  :no:

Edited by il cattivo, 17 October 2013 - 12:08 PM.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yep, three matches none of which involve England (I can see them on the telly).

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users