Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

long but not sean

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,061 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

Maybe, maybe not. Nobody's been cited... deliberately so.
My old RU club refuses to pay any player and steadfastly stick to their amateur status in yorks one!
There are club in yorks two that have/are paying players and coaches. It happens and has done for years.
Sharlo is just another one of a number of clubs doing the same. I'd be amazed if this was the first the taxman has ever heard of it.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#22 Jimmy B

Jimmy B
  • 593 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Can we please stick to the original subject of this thread i.e. the appointment of Gordie Long and not keep harping on about illegal payments and the tax man.

Jimmy B

Lets not forget, Featherstone Rovers is a RUGBY club.

#23 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

Can we please stick to the original subject of this thread i.e. the appointment of Gordie Long and not keep harping on about illegal payments and the tax man.

Jimmy B

Fair enough, but who brought the subject up in the first place. Cannot sit back and be expected to take the flak

#24 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,061 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Flak?

#25 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

i don't know Gordie but i'm aware of his achievements at sharlston. i for one am gald we have decided to give John Bastian and Gordie a chance to show what they can do. rugby league is starting to get like football, with the same people just moving around the clubs, like musical chairs. it's ok clubs wanting to bring in experienced people, but they all have to get their experience somewhere. i'm confident that if John Bastian proves to be a top coach, he will not be poached whilst he is under contract, and i'm sure Gordie will show the same loyalty. i wish them both the very best of luck. up the rovers.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#26 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

i don't know Gordie but i'm aware of his achievements at sharlston. i for one am gald we have decided to give John Bastian and Gordie a chance to show what they can do. rugby league is starting to get like football, with the same people just moving around the clubs, like musical chairs. it's ok clubs wanting to bring in experienced people, but they all have to get their experience somewhere. i'm confident that if John Bastian proves to be a top coach, he will not be poached whilst he is under contract, and i'm sure Gordie will show the same loyalty. i wish them both the very best of luck. up the rovers.

Sums the situation up perfectly, OR. Together they will sort em out.

#27 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,061 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

I hope you're both correct. A lot of changes all at once makes me apprehensive and with neither JB or Gordie tried or experienced at this level it does nowt to alleviate my anxieties.
Simply just saying "they'll sort it" doesn't appesse my apprehension.
We'll see how it goes eh?

#28 philcow

philcow
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

I could not agree with you more robin , look at man u only one change there and the wheels have come off looks like rovers is becoming a bit of an old boys club to me.

#29 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I am more apprehensive about previous management allowing some of our players of note to leave the club. Appreciate that if a player is not settled, he may as well move on, but I do think that being unsettled cannot apply to every case. We have let some good lads leave who are putting it in for other clubs.

#30 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

Previous management ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#31 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

I could not agree with you more robin , look at man u only one change there and the wheels have come off looks like rovers is becoming a bit of an old boys club to me.

I hope your wrong on this one but from the outside looking in it does seem that way. I think there will be players here next year that the coach doesn't want but I don't think they will go

I just hope next September we are all saying what another great season we have had and that we make the final This year was the first without Powell and we didn't get to the GF As you say big changes are happening and lets hope we settle and start on fire we come along way over the last few year we cannot afford to drop back now

#32 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

rovers is becoming a bit of an old boys club

in what way?

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#33 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

in what way?

I think Philcow is referring to the number of ex-Leeds Academy starlets that Bastian has recruited having worked with them during his time at Headingley - plus the capture of Mendeika whom he coached at Warrington. Not really indicative of an 'old boys club' forming though. Lots of coaches like to sign players they've had a previous working relationship with.

Edited by TheTerminator, 23 October 2013 - 05:29 PM.

Posted Image

#34 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

There's no thing wrong with signing players that a coach has worked with before he will know them better than anyone I hope it pays off but I just hope we don't here they need time to settle My worry is are all these new players who the coach has worked with before better than what we have now only time will tell and we still don't know officially who is leaving

#35 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

I hope you're both correct. A lot of changes all at once makes me apprehensive and with neither JB or Gordie tried or experienced at this level it does nowt to alleviate my anxieties.
Simply just saying "they'll sort it" doesn't appesse my apprehension.
We'll see how it goes eh?

Id be more surprised if it didnt make you apprehensive, you are a glass half empty idiot. I reckon its a refreshing change from the usual same coach merry-go-round

#36 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

That is not true, Moyes was asked to keep fergies backroom staff but he chose to bring his own in, there is much more than 1 man changed there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users