New Signings/ resignings

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

Seems it's gone quiet on this front lately and barrow have been making a few decent moves, does anyone have any idea or opinions on what's next for us?
I'm hoping a few Tongans end up loving Workington so much they wanna stay!

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Everyone that I meet seems to be asking the same question and no doubt we will find out in due course but it is so frustrating reading about every other clubs signings in the RL papers.

No doubt the decision of the Wigan Chairman will have an effect on timings for any signings as who knows which format the league is going to take. I believe that Lenegan was wrong to stop the meeting the way he did but I also believe that the RFL were wrong to try to push through the 2 x 12, 3 x 8 format because I don't know many Championship club fans who want that system.

The Championship clubs are meeting tomorrow and no doubt they will all be supporting Nigel Wood's proposal against the wishes of a significant number of fans. Most people that I discuss this with seem to be more happier with 2 leagues of 12 with one up and down promotion and relegation but yet that seems to get very little support from Championship club representatives at these meetings.

Anyhow roll on the World Cup matches, eh!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 841 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yeah the way it at present I like, 2 up 2 down and one up one down in super league would do, keep a check on the finances and scrap the licences!! It's All gone quiet on the London front too but I'd they go then it should be Sheffield by rights that go up but if they don't want to then any of the teams equipped to go up could make that step but expect to be the whipping boys for a season.

#4 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

it is so frustrating reading about every other clubs signings in the RL papers.

Without wishing to be picky, bet you have not read anything about Swinton signings.

No coach and no players as it stands so perhaps you should be grateful!

Mind you, it is only October....

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished" - Lao Tzu

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#5 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

What about chambers?

#6 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:40 AM

We've made some signings and resignings already, the season is only over a few weeks so no need to start this annual panic, I hoped people would be a bit more patient this season.

#7 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

Fully Agree dkw, stop panicking !!!

#8 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Does anyone have a list of who's signed?

I'm sure we're in a better position than we were this time last year.

#9 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,433 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

we panic every year and we are fine every year. yeah barrows made a couple of signings but weve brought 2 new bodies in and got most our existing squad signed on.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#10 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

So who's all signed on for next year then

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

I don't see anyone who's panicking to be honest . Guys are just reacting to a supposed lack of news and maybe getting a little frustrated at how they see developments . We know we'll get there in the end , but craicing to each other about what's going or not going on doesn't mean panic .

#12 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

No panic at all just missing my local team news to be honest and seeing Dave. Rotherham in the paper asking for support that didn't amuse me one bit

#13 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Well I am certainly not panicking and I know that the club is tied up with the World Cup games at the moment, but a little bit more news about the club wouldn't go amiss during the close season. Things like where the club stands on this re-structuring of the leagues. What is the club view of the 2 x 12, 3 x 8 format and so on? It doesn't have to be about signings or re-signings or rumours of such, just gossip to keep the fans interested and informed.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#14 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Maybe I was a bit quick to say people are panicking, but going on past pre-seasons thats exactly what happens on here, its very frustrating to read every year. As for signings, Ive heard we are signing a local amateur soon, and I would expect some of our targets are involved in world cup games or on holiday etc. Is there that much happening at other clubs?

Just to lighten the mood a little, heres one of todays headline on the News and star sports pages online:-

CRONULLA SHARKS EYEING WHITEHAVEN'S ADAM SWIFT

Wow.

Edited by dkw, 17 October 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,799 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

I should hope we're looking at the WC squads , especially the ones up here . What a golden opportunity . They're not all NRL players , there may be one or two gems . And is big Jimmy still in the know with Fiji ? Can he tip us a wink on them . I know all clubs will be all over it , but we can have a dip in the water to . Italy , Tonga n Scotland fringe players will still be decent . But cost is the big issue of course . The NRL teams are looking for cheapish talent up here as a safe investment to augment they're squads and feeder teams , and if they get a gem it hasn't cost them much , so I'm not surprised they're interested in guys like Swift . Same with someone like Matt Russell last year . They see ability and potential without much impact on the Cap , and they know it's enticing for guys . Poor old Paul Jackson lost out in the Scotland squad to Josh Barlow ... Shame

#16 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

And here's me thinking Adam Swift was a St Helens player.....

#17 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Josh Barlow is a dreadful player. Amazed he's made any World Cup squad.

Posted Image

#18 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 853 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

Town have signed Nathan Lucock from Glasson Rangers, welcome aboard young man, good luck.

#19 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 759 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Town have signed Nathan Lucock from Glasson Rangers, welcome aboard young man, good luck.

Wheres that been announced HTR?  Can't see anything on n&s website or Town site.

A quick google search, would suggest he looks to be a very good prospect, and so

an excellent signing.

#20 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 853 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Wheres that been announced HTR?  Can't see anything on n&s website or Town site.

A quick google search, would suggest he looks to be a very good prospect, and so

an excellent signing.

Its on the back page of this weeks T/S toplad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users