Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

DW Fitness

Disgusting

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

http://www.northwale...assam-in-wales/

This is sickening that DW Fitness are continuing to charge a personal trainer who is funding himself to play in the World Cup his fee that he pays to the gym in order to work there.

#2 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

I don't want people to take this the wrong way, but why are dw out of order? if he has a contract he needs to fulfil it. I feel for him, having been in Avery very similar position myself, but it's the way it is

#3 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

Great player Rob Massam
Not really "sickening" but a disappointing position to be in
Hope he doesn't miss out or lose out.

#4 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

I just wouldn't think it would cause DW fitness too much of hardship to say since you are not working and it's for a real cause you don't have to pay to be here. Most companies normally try and help out an employee doing something like this, not penalise them financially.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

I just wouldn't think it would cause DW fitness too much of hardship to say since you are not working and it's for a real cause you don't have to pay to be here. Most companies normally try and help out an employee doing something like this, not penalise them financially.

It sounds like he is self employed and renting from DW. Why should DW fund his dream?

#6 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

It sounds like he is self employed and renting from DW. Why should DW fund his dream?

They shouldn't.  But they still could. 

I've pledged.  Hopefully others will and he will have enough money to play for his country.

#7 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Whilst I don't think less of a company for not contributing as any is entitles to give or not give, I just think to still charge him given the circumstances is harsh and deserves highlighting.

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

They shouldn't.  But they still could. 

I've pledged.  Hopefully others will and he will have enough money to play for his country.

Of course they could, but what would they get for that? Maybe fund raising could have been done in advance?

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

Whilst I don't think less of a company for not contributing as any is entitles to give or not give, I just think to still charge him given the circumstances is harsh and deserves highlighting.

I still pay my bank my mortgage even if I am away on holiday for the month.

I have some sympathy but surely the Wales team will be getting paid for this tournament?

#10 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Of course they could, but what would they get for that? Maybe fund raising could have been done in advance?

I think he's been a late call up?  I might have got that wrong though.  Either way, he wouldn't have been sure of a spot in the squad until relatively recently and so I would imagine speculative fundraising would have been difficult to pull off.

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

I have some sympathy but surely the Wales team will be getting paid for this tournament?

You would think so but part-timers still have jobs to do whether they are getting paid or not.  I would guess that those who are employed have sympathetic employers as they could be out of work for six weeks but he is self employed so that's a different kettle of fish.

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

I think he's been a late call up?  I might have got that wrong though.  Either way, he wouldn't have been sure of a spot in the squad until relatively recently and so I would imagine speculative fundraising would have been difficult to pull off.

That's fair enough and I did think that when I was typing it tbh.

Personally I wish the bloke good luck, but I won't be contributing to his monthly personal bills.

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

You would think so but part-timers still have jobs to do whether they are getting paid or not.  I would guess that those who are employed have sympathetic employers as they could be out of work for six weeks but he is self employed so that's a different kettle of fish.

My point is that as he is self employed he will lose money - surely he will be earning money playing for Wales? This may be slightly less than he could earn as a personal trainer, but surely he won't lose all of his income for two months?

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

I don't want people to take this the wrong way, but why are dw out of order? if he has a contract he needs to fulfil it. I feel for him, having been in Avery very similar position myself, but it's the way it is

I guess like you, he will have to weigh things up.

I don't see it as a disgrace, why should DW lose income that they've budgeted for and have a contractual right to?  Having said that, if Dave Whelan still owns the brand then I'm firmly of the view that they should lose money :-) 

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,152 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

I guess like you, he will have to weigh things up.

I don't see it as a disgrace, why should DW lose income that they've budgeted for and have a contractual right to?  Having said that, if Dave Whelan still owns the brand then I'm firmly of the view that they should lose money :-) 

Yes - I would have thought they could have had some kind of player sponsorship deal tbh which could have turned into a real positive for the Wrexham DW branch.

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,651 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

You can't go willy-nilly breaking contract terms and conditions.  Precedentt etc. plus at the next finance meeting:   "You've given how much away?"   No. ..I think the Crusaders crowdfunding idea is the right way to do it. Maybe use kickstarter, which is global.

#17 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

What an absolute non-story.

Posted Image

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,477 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Not charging is the same as giving.  Clearly, you do think less of DW for not contributing.

There'll be many other people outside the world of sport in similar contract positions.  I've been there myself.  Nobody helped me - nor did I expect them to do so.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#19 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

His situation is no different to the other part-time players who are in the competition, who are having to take holidays/unpaid leave from their jobs outside of RL in order to take part. Are we going to have a whip round for all of those players too ?

Edited by Derwent, 17 October 2013 - 11:17 AM.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#20 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

It's pretty poor that NRL-based WC players are getting up to AUD$70k for appearing in the tournament, yet non-NRL players are getting nothing. I know it's all to do with the NRL collective bargaining agreement, but surely some of the wealth should be spread more evenly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users