Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

An example of a fair and open market

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Quite so. but since so many in politics , the media and on here want to interfere with the energy companies, why not do so in a way that that benefits the less fortunate. 

People complain when energy prices go up 10% in a year but rejoice when house prices treble in ten years. Both of these disadvantage the poorest and weakest in our society...or don't we care  about that, or global warming any more?

we have one of those. It is quite revealing. Its not about being miserable and cold but about cutting out waste..and it does work.

My other gripe is with pre-payment meters and the fact that the unit prices with these  is higher than for high-use direct debit payers. 

I'm with you completely on both points. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#82 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:13 PM

Scottish power now in at 8% rise. The whole set up smells like a Fleetwood trawler.

No doubt all these companies have invested in the same "improvements" at the same time, so that they all have to put the prices up within month of each other.

#83 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,984 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Telegraph article on Ofgem story:

Ofgem estimates that the energy companies’ average net profit margin has more that doubled over the past year from £45 a household to £95

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#84 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Was that operating profit, profit before tax etc?

And ckn/ What was your profit last year...i.e. income less costs?

#85 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,984 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

Was that operating profit, profit before tax etc?

And ckn/ What was your profit last year...i.e. income less costs?

I'm sure you can accept Ofgem as a credible external source with reliable sources of information.  If so, where's the problem with their figures?  Also, the FT and Telegraph are not known as soft left-wing newspapers and they're the ones leading the story.  I think you're verging on unreasonable pedantry now defending these rises.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#86 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

A mate who works for Ofgem suggested that power companies had threatened that they would stop 'investing' in building new power stations if the regulator tried to stop excessive prices rises,  then we would be up the creek when the blackouts started.

I did ask him what purpose Ofgem serves and he was not entirely sure but after being made redundant from being a forensic scientist he was keeping his head down and not asking difficult questions of his employers.

The last government were convinced that we were there to do their bidding. They wasted vast quantities of our money in order to spy on us, intimidate us and needlessly over regulate us, whilst gold plating their own pensions and expenses. Their behind the scenes encouragement of, and turning a blind eye to, the kettling and harrassment tactics of the Police are a shameful episode in our history which we need to remember and address urgently. - Haloman

#87 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'm sure you can accept Ofgem as a credible external source with reliable sources of information.  If so, where's the problem with their figures?  Also, the FT and Telegraph are not known as soft left-wing newspapers and they're the ones leading the story.  I think you're verging on unreasonable pedantry now defending these rises.

1. Where do I say I have a problem with their figures?

2. Where have I defended these rises?

3. What profit do you regard as acceptable?

#88 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

A mate who works for Ofgem suggested that power companies had threatened that they would stop 'investing' in building new power stations if the regulator tried to stop excessive prices rises,  then we would be up the creek when the blackouts started.

I did ask him what purpose Ofgem serves and he was not entirely sure but after being made redundant from being a forensic scientist he was keeping his head down and not asking difficult questions of his employers.

From the Ofgem web site:

Ofgem does not control the prices customers pay – this is down to energy suppliers. We regulate the prices energy companies charge for transporting energy to your home through pipes and wires.

Of course, maybe they should but maybe the difference between Ofgem and Ofwat is that water companies generally get their water for nothing, so the bills we pay are for the capture, storage, delivery etc,

Still, how does it feel now that you support the Mail's stance?  see http://www.dailymail...OUBLE-year.html

Edited by JohnM, 28 October 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#89 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

The should be interesting today: see Daily Mail article

#90 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

Anyone with isupplyenergy?

Mrs the Leit reports that they are coming out as the best option for us on electricity.  One year fixed price deal.  £174 saving.  

The question I have is how come a company that I have never heard of can offer me such a saving, and the big six cannot?

#91 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,984 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:20 PM

A 21st century granny's response to British Gas's price raise

(NSFW warning)

#92 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

According to a renowned Lib Dem in The Guardian,  "About 9% of energy bills are government charges. Some 5% go on the eco subsidy. Without these policies, bills would be more painful for the most vulnerable, and higher for many others.

About 4% goes to support low-carbon electricity from renewables."

Do ALL energy companies have to pay this, or is it just the big six?

http://www.theguardi...gy-fossil-fuels

#93 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,984 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

It's been an eventful month for nPower: a 10.4% rise in prices for consumers, an 8% increase in half-year profits, a cut of billions of pounds of investment that they had planned for Britain and, to top it all off, 1400 jobs outsourced from Britain to India.

Yay for the free market.

#94 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

Go four miles west of Bradford city centre. You'll find most farms have a wind turbine. The moors beyond, owned by Yorkshire Water, are covered in them.

Not like farmers and multinationals to take advantage of subsidies is it?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#95 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

http://www.scotsman....staff-1-3211165

#96 Bigal02

Bigal02
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

The Two Ronnies did a 'News item' about the government having a method to lower inflation.  "If something goes up in price, they don't count it".

#97 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

On 16 October 2008, Miliband, Secretary of State for the newly created Department of Energy and Climate Change, announced that the British government would legislate to oblige itself to cut greenhouse emissions by 80% by 2050, rather than the 60% cut in carbon dioxide emissions previously announced.

In March 2009, after discussion with Peter Postlethwaite (remember him from Brassed Off?) Miliband announced to the House of Commons a change to the government's policy on coal-fired power stations, saying that any potential new coal-fired power stations would be unable to receive government consent unless they could demonstrate that they would be able to effectively capture and bury 25% of the emissions they produce immediately, with a view to seeing that rise to 100% of emissions by 2025.

Miliband represented the UK at the 2009 Copenhagen Summit, from which emerged a global commitment to provide an additional US$10 billion a year to fight the effects of climate change, with an additional $100 billion a year provided by 2020

So clearly he agrees that  we have to do something major about emissions, energy usage etc  if we as a country are to play our part in reducing the impact of factors that may affect climate change. Clearly he also thinks that he can sit on the beach Knut-style and repel the rising tide of energy price increases. But isn't that the very mechanism he put in place? So how does an unenforceable cap on elec and gas bills help reduce consumption? Make it cheaper and people will use more. Make it cheaper and people will not invest in  ways to save energy   

Of course . ®Ed could actually adopt some radical policies to enable the less well off to be protected  against this but he hasn't actually got the Balls ( oh if only, if only) the brains, of the ability to do that.  He could for instance, put up the bills for the better off and lower them for the worse off by reversing current tariffs so that the the unit price increases the more you use. Set a threshold at the average usage of a family of four in a three bed semi in Meriden , then above that, the price doubles.  Govt keeps the difference between what the utils would normally charge and  this new price structure to reduce the price for the less well off and to support the measures we have to take to reduce energy use and emissions.  Can't see that going down well in the industrial heartlands of Islington, Hampstead and Crouch End - Miliband's natural constituency.

The fact remains that under whatever govt, energy prices will continue to rise...and rise..and rise.  in the three year between 2007 and 2011, under Miliband,  the average domestic fuel( gas plus elec)  bill increased by over 20%  oh, Ed, oh, Ed, Ubi parentes, malum?

#98 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,712 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

Judging by the large volume of people lighting up there houses from this weekend to the new year the price of electricity in the Wigan area is way to cheap!

On Friday 28th March I'm taking part in the Wigan Streetsleep, raising money for The Brick charity who try to ensure nobody in Wigan finding themselves homeless spends a 2nd night on the streets and providing help and support via a foodbank.  Every penny counts so if you can spare anything at all its much appreciated - this link will take you to my sponsorship page thanks.

#99 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 15,984 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

The fact remains that under whatever govt, energy prices will continue to rise...and rise..and rise.  in the three year between 2007 and 2011, under Miliband,  the average domestic fuel( gas plus elec)  bill increased by over 20%  oh, Ed, oh, Ed, Ubi parentes, malum?

See now, I disagree with that.  Some intelligent thinking and moderate quality investment over the last few decades would have had us in a very strong position now but idiot short-termism by all parties have left us reliant on non-UK fuel sources and non-UK owned generators.  Even if the current government took the hit on the chin on behalf of the country for the next decade, and rather than panicking over messing about with the green taxes as they have, they could have diverted that into building more next-generation power plants, be it nuclear, coal, gas, oil, wind or wave.  I'd prefer the nuclear, wind and wave bits though as that does not leave us hostage to short-term foreign fuel supply problems.

This isn't a party political point I'm making, Labour were/are just as bad as the Tories and the Lib Dems have no clue what planet they're on today.  The Greens' view is daft.  The UKIP view is "green stuff is baaaad, mkay", their policy document (that I have read) is just daft but for exactly the opposite reasons to that of the Greens.  I think there's not a single party that's got a coherent energy policy that stands up to more than a cursory look into the detail.

#100 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,189 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

I think there's not a single party that's got a coherent energy policy that stands up to more than a cursory look into the detail.

agreed

"You got big dreams? You want energy security? Well, energy security costs, and right here is where you start paying."

A big supporter of having a significant nuclear capacity in the mix, I am equal;y aware of the huge (and carefully hidden) lifecycle costs.  I'll have a wager with you: if energy costs are cheaper on the day of my demise, you can light the incinerator yourself!! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users