Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whatever happened to the 'Likely Lads'?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

Whatever happened to the 'Likely Lads’? yes folks, those real life likely lads at club HQ on Chorley Road.

So much for the 'new website' dedicated to keeping us mugs informed about vitally important issues, especially the so-called 'Agecroft project' - more like 'Ages project' and our coach for 2014 etc, etc. Was this to replace the usual end of term September pep talk for the supporters? I wonder!

Club website - virtually nil information, an ominous silence?, certainly nowt abaht what we want to know about.

No wonder all sorts of gloomy rumours are currently circulating amongst the fan base.

For God's sake club, if it's bad news, tell us, after all, isn't it supposed to be true that a trouble shared is a trouble halved (or quartered etc).

:tease:      :yahoo:      :prankster:

#2 LeeBriersIsGod

LeeBriersIsGod
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Well Said . Its like that at warrington! new signing and contract extensions etc are announced by the players twitters or the other club involved before we announce it ... Shocking!!
Warrington Wolves "Making History , Not living It" "We All Hate Wigan" Swinton Lions "Up the Lions"

#3 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

As comforting to know that its not just us, the signs are now looking very bad. We've missed out on signing one of our best players from the championship season (im assuming the first club he rang when he came back was us). We have lost two of our best prospects from last season, James Mendieka has signed for featherstone and we still have no idea where we are playing next year, who will be coaching, or any news what so ever about ANY players re-signing. Id like to ask politely for the club to just give us a date as to when we will know, but we all know any 'deadlines' set by the club are not worth the paper (or website) there written on. 

We make the same mistakes every single year, (apart from our championship winning year). This year I have a very bad feeling, not only are the fans not being informed but 'no club representative could be contacted' by the league express? Have the Kidds just done a runner or something?

Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#4 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

I said it a few weeks ago when Sarsfield signed for Leigh that others would follow and I wasn't wrong. The situation is now farcical, the fans havn't a clue whats going on. Has Ian Watson signed his contract i'm beginning to fear he has not, would you if you knew all your best players were going?.If we do manage to start the 2014 season we look like we will have the weakest team by far. I fear the Kidds have lost the plot and havn't the guts to face the fans, what a mess. If i'm wrong then come out of your shell and say so, I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

#5 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Well Said . Its like that at warrington! new signing and contract extensions etc are announced by the players twitters or the other club involved before we announce it ... Shocking!!

Do you want to swap problems? ;)

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#6 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 901 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

We were never going to keep all the squad from last season, we and others never do. We just haven't got the cash to do that.
It would be nice to know what's going on though!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#7 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

Have the Kidds just done a runner or something?

Considering the massive 'wall of silence' coming from 105-107 Chorley Road, it's looking odds-on that this could be the case. Perhaps only time will tell. But if this is the (dire) situation, we will need some kind of saviour/s or whatever with nerves of steel to pick up the pieces of our shattered old club. Eternally optimistic - but don't really know why.

#8 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

Well I always used to think no news is good news, then I worked in Japan for 6 months and the saying in Japan was no news in bad news........and now I am beginning to think the Japanese version of the proverb is probably true in this case...........:(

#9 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

We were never going to keep all the squad from last season, we and others never do. We just haven't got the cash to do that.
It would be nice to know what's going on though!

This is true, to be honest I was saying from mid-season that Penny would probably be at a better club, and after Sarsfields performances, again this does not surprise me or worry me. What DOES worry me, is that A. We have missed out on signing a perfect replacement for penny in the form of our record points scorer and B. We are simply losing players without making ANY signings, not even the always loyal Hawkyard brothers, Smithy or Watson.

#10 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

This is true, to be honest I was saying from mid-season that Penny would probably be at a better club, and after Sarsfields performances, again this does not surprise me or worry me. What DOES worry me, is that A. We have missed out on signing a perfect replacement for penny in the form of our record points scorer and B. We are simply losing players without making ANY signings, not even the always loyal Hawkyard brothers, Smithy or Watson.

. I really don't think that Ian Mort can be considered as a perfect replacement for Penny.The best kicker I've seen in a Swinton shirt but definitely not a winger and not in the same class as Ritchie Hawkyard at full back.

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

I agree . Mort was good in 2011. Hit and miss in 2012
He may have returned from Australia a better player and I would have been pleased if we'd signed him but I'm not too disappointed that we have missed out
Now if Ritchie isn't re-signed I would be sad.

#12 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

I agree he isnt as good at fullback as hawkyard but I still believe hes a perfect replacement for penny,a club like ours was lucky to have penny in the first place, and Mort has good footwork, excellent positioning and can finish a try. Hes no slouch either. 

Any fullback can play winger IMO as long as they possess pace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users