Switching energy supplier

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:53 PM

Given that energy prices are increasing, what has anyone on here done about switching supplier.  From uswitch, I see that I ought to be able to save £200 a year by switching from BG dual fuel to Scottish Power. Anyone made this switch with what results?

#2 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

I switch pretty regularly, twice in the last 18 months. I'm now on a fixed price deal until January 2014.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#3 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

We switched once, almost instantly switched back...

And the results were almost unbelievable!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Every September I call my provider, Scottish Power, and tell them the best price I can find online for any supplier. After some haggling they usually match it and lock the price for a year. That means I get to keep a good supplier with British call centre staff and get a good price while avoiding that year's Autumn price increase.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,941 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

Have Scottish Power been OK as a supplier? Any problems re customer service?

#6 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

Have Scottish Power been OK as a supplier? Any problems re customer service?

Very good.  I switched to them in 2004 when we moved to our current house, the supplier here was EDF and we originally inteded to stay with them but I couldn't understand their Indian call centre staff accents and they couldn't understand my accent when we tried to set up the account.  It was just like a sketch show piece in how bad it was.  We then did the comparison thing to find another supplier, Scottish Power were the cheapest and we've been with them since.  I like that when you call you get someone British on the line, their self-meter reading website is very easy to use and their energy monitoring kit is quite good.  We've never had a single issue with them since we took them on as suppliers.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#7 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Try the Utilities Wharehouse, all of your bills in one and very cheap.

#8 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

We move every year just to keep them on their toes. :-)
Just moved to Flow energy for a very good fixed price deal
All was going well until we decided to get PV panels. Flow are on the list to take the FIT and a phone call confirmed as much
We put on the panels and were then told they did not have the ability to take it. They will do in the future and so applied to the regulator to be put on the list early. Duh!
After a lot of hassle got nPower to give the FIT
Not best pleased.

Edited by John Rhino, 20 October 2013 - 06:51 PM.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#9 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

My last deal with Scottish Power has just come to an end. I searched online and lo and behold Scottish Power were again the best option. Over the years I have been with NPower, EON ( twice) and BG, I've never had any problems switching but BG have always been a nuisance in their aggressive marketing in trying to get me back.

Edited by bearman, 20 October 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#10 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

Try the Utilities Wharehouse, all of your bills in one and very cheap.

Just don't use them as your ISP

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#11 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

I just switched but I've only had a mortgage for a week.

#12 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Just don't use them as your ISP

Compared to Sky the UW broadband is so much faster.

#13 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

Most people seem to be of the opinion of fixing prices for as long as possible. I was left with a dilemma.

I was given the choice of either freezing prices for 18 months or for 3 years. The obvious choice seemed to be for 3 years, however I did the maths and worked out that prices would need to go up by 22% in 18 months for me to make a saving over the 3 year period, providing I can fix again for 18 months. I decided for the shorter period because whilst they've been going up a lot, 22% is a risk worth taking.

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Most people seem to be of the opinion of fixing prices for as long as possible. I was left with a dilemma.

I was given the choice of either freezing prices for 18 months or for 3 years. The obvious choice seemed to be for 3 years, however I did the maths and worked out that prices would need to go up by 22% in 18 months for me to make a saving over the 3 year period, providing I can fix again for 18 months. I decided for the shorter period because whilst they've been going up a lot, 22% is a risk worth taking.

This is yet another example of where it's all wrong. Consumers shouldn't be gambling, they should just be given a fair price for a fair service.

#15 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:28 PM

I found out today that Scottish Power have a Warrington callcentre where all of their direct debit customer queries are handled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users