TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

double standards in the education system

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

a friend of mine took his kids away in school time for 4 days which resulted in snoopers going through his bins and issuing him with a fine, all seems a bit pointless when teachers go on strike willy nilly depriving kids of a days school and inconveniencing parents, do the teachers get fined in this case? think not.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hardly double standards,parents know when school holidays are.That's the point of them.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#3 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

a friend of mine took his kids away in school time for 4 days which resulted in snoopers going through his bins and issuing him with a fine, all seems a bit pointless when teachers go on strike willy nilly depriving kids of a days school and inconveniencing parents, do the teachers get fined in this case? think not.

You should be red top journo with simplistic one dimensional comments like that!

It is a parent's legal obligation to ensure their children attend school. It is a teacher's right to strike if they feel that they have a grievance, as has been the case, and indeed is, for many other sectors of society.

Your comment would have had much more validity if it had questioned the effectiveness of striking.

If you want to discuss double standards in the education system, why not discuss the governments different approach to free and academy schools as compared to LA schools.

And just for the record, teachers give up a full days pay when they strike.

#4 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

It is a parent's legal obligation to ensure their children attend school.

How can they fulfill their legal obligation if the doors are locked?

#5 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

What do 'teachers' have to do with fining children for going on holiday? It doesn't bother me one jot if a child goes on holiday in school time.

Surely this is far more to do with the government, especially as they recently changed the law so that holidays cannot be authorised any more. Also, when Ofsted come in schools are assessed on the attendance of their children. If the headteachers do not tackle attendance then the school's rating can be affected. My own school was criticised by Ofsted for not doing enough to guarantee that some children attend and a big part of this is children being taken out for holidays. What are schools to do? Let everybody be off when they like and just take the hit in the Ofsted report?

#6 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

How can they fulfill their legal obligation if the doors are locked?

If the school is closed for whatever reason then there is no legal obligation for parents to ensure their children attend school. I am not sure what your point is here.

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

Two different issues. Two wrongs don't make a right. Not all teachers were on strike and not all schools were closed.

#8 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

If the school is closed for whatever reason then there is no legal obligation for parents to ensure their children attend school. I am not sure what your point is here.

Ah, so they're only legally obliged when the teachers can be arsed and haven't spat their dummy.

#9 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Ah, so they're only legally obliged when the teachers can be arsed and haven't spat their dummy.

Why don't you give them yours

#10 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Why don't you give them yours

My what?

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

Fining parents who take their kids on holiday in term time is a tax on the middle classes. Kids from sink estate, gypsy and ethnic communities regularly disappear for weeks and the schools don't do anything about it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Yes!

#13 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

Fining parents who take their kids on holiday in term time is a tax on the middle classes. Kids from sink estate, gypsy and ethnic communities regularly disappear for weeks and the schools don't do anything about it.

I don't suppose that you can link to any stats on this can you?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#14 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

It always puzzles me why when workers go on strike they are automatically assumed to be in the wrong. But they are selling their labour and the employer is the buyer of that labour. If you try and buy a product and don't offer enough money for it the supplier will not sell it to you, that's simple commerce. Where's the difference?

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,525 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

In my experience this is pretty true. A few years back I saw a cheap holiday in October and enquired about the possibility of my (at the time) 15 year old lad be excused from 2 days at school. I was flatly refused and warned that should he be absent on those dates, there would be consequences. Like a dipstick I followed the advice.
I discovered that one of his schoolmates was constantly missing school for various reasons (non serious) and asked him what had happened to his parents, he laughed about it.

When I enquired why this person was apparently allowed to have time off, I was told it was because he had 'ongoing issues'. I asked if they were being fined the amount I had been threatened with and was told 'there's no point as they couldn't afford to pay'. Which was nice.

#16 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

When I enquired why this person was apparently allowed to have time off, I was told it was because he had 'ongoing issues'. I asked if they were being fined the amount I had been threatened with and was told 'there's no point as they couldn't afford to pay'. Which was nice.

The correct answer would of course have been "mind your own business".

#17 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

I don't suppose that you can link to any stats on this can you?

http://www.thetelegr...dings_scandal_/

http://www.thetelegr...plinary_action/

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,525 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

The correct answer would of course have been "mind your own business".

How so? Surely it's one rule for all? Besides, I was making the point and didn't really want to know what they get up to.
Either have a rule saying 'nobody is allowed out of school during term time' or don't.

#19 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

I have yet to actually meet anyone who has received a fine for taking one day off. The system is that families who have a pattern of absence go onto a period, usually a month, of monitoring. If they fail this period, the LA then take over the process of monitoring and make the ultimate decision on whether to fine.

Schools have no legal right to impose punative fines for absence, unless the process is part of any home/school agreement to which the parents have signed.

#20 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

How so? Surely it's one rule for all? Besides, I was making the point and didn't really want to know what they get up to.
Either have a rule saying 'nobody is allowed out of school during term time' or don't.

I wouldn't expect any details of my children's lives in or our of school discussed with other parents.  It's not a difficult concept, much like I wouldn't expect your doctor to tell me about anything about you if I were to ask him/her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users