Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

double standards in the education system

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Because we teach the wrong things to the wrong kids in the wrong schools. The curriculum is set up for pupils who plan on university. There is no provision for future hairdressers, brickies, plumbers, mechanics etc. So by 14 or so they realise they are being set up to fail and switch off. I would too

#42 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

Because we teach the wrong things to the wrong kids in the wrong schools. The curriculum is set up for pupils who plan on university. There is no provision for future hairdressers, brickies, plumbers, mechanics etc. So by 14 or so they realise they are being set up to fail and switch off. I would too

This is of course true. If a child 'succeeds' in our education system, what will they look like at the end of it? They will almost certainly be quite academic, intellectual and bookish. You could argue that a top scientist or university academic is what our whole system is geared towards creating. There is of course a need for the basics to be taught regardless of the job.

Sadly, headlines like today's, comparing us to countries like China and Korea, is likely to lead to an increased focus on this. Regardless of the fact as well that it is almost certain to fail anyway.

#43 tigersfan

tigersfan
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

we do need education aimed to produce the academic and bookish. We also need an education to produce the practical and the craftsmen. Sadly we have neither. A state sector where some succeed despite the system, but many fail because of the system.

I am a teacher.........................

#44 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

we do need education aimed to produce the academic and bookish. We also need an education to produce the practical and the craftsmen. Sadly we have neither. A state sector where some succeed despite the system, but many fail because of the system.

I am a teacher.........................

So am I. However, I don't think the system fails as much as people like to believe. It's not perfect by any means but we have some serious cultural issues that are causing us to fall behind in the international tables. Our culture by enlarge doesn't promote a love of learning or place a high importance on intelligence, if anything it actively goes against it. I don't think the same can be said of China or South Korea.

#45 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,264 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

well that depends on the age, ability and needs  of the child

there is a case to be made efor a more vocational aspect to education for some students in say the last two years of secondary education  but this should be in the form of education not training-ie the context in which children learn can be a work skills one within a work sttyle environment, but it isn't the job of schools to turn out plumbers hairdressers and so on, but it is a valid idea that some childen leave school armed with the means to flourish when they enter the world of work and their chosen careers.

It also helps that there is work for school leavers to go to when they do leave school

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#46 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Schools should be providing education as an end in itself not as a means to employment ends. The latter tends to mean pushing kids into career paths way too early, very much as the 11 plus did.

LUNEW.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users