Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham Council QA session 17/10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnt

johnt
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

In the Oldham Council QA session tonight, which was available to view on-line, Jim McMahon was asked about the two main sporting clubs in Oldham.

He said that at present he couldn't envisage OAFC and ORLFC sharing a ground (quite vehement about that), that a ground share was the logical approach to take, but there is no sign that this would happen in the foreseeable future. He also went on to say that ORLFCs ambition is not matched by its finances, and that Oldham Council would give no blank cheque to the club.

Interesting views. I wonder why he appeared particularly critical of ORLFC?

#2 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Maybe because the football team owns a suitable ground, but the rugby team does not. Just stating facts really.

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

oldham council have been quick to sign blank cheques for latics....

plus no one is asking for a blank cheque...just help making whitebank respectable....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

The cheques from Oldham Council to the Oldham Athletic have always been backed up by assets from the Football club.

Oldham Rugby have no assets hence no money.

The council cannot just give money to Limited Companies, which they both are, without security.

Remember its not the Councillors own money it belongs to the Council tax payers in the Oldham and money from Central Government which is tax payers money.

The money for Capital in regard to a Limited company comes in the main from its shareholders and the good will of its bankers and its sponsors.

The only share older for Oldham RLFC is CH so he should be the first port of call. Looking at the situation in regards to the clubs debts which are over  £200k  at the present time one could  assume the club operates on a bank overdraft which leaves the sponsors which are not very large companies and many don't stay around for long.

#5 andykenny

andykenny
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

McMahon drapes his great adverts down the side of the derelict town hall telling us how great he has done. Yet the truth is the town has gone downhill on his watch. No Cinemas, No Ikea, no Marks, disappearing market, Spindles emptying. He acts as though he can't bang heads together to get ground sharing going.

He says we all want a vibrant town and good sports teams but waffles on about there being no money .At the same time he is going on about face-lifting Yorkshire St and the Old town hall and providing assistance to (wait for it) private companies who are in the area trading or who want to come into the area.

That art gallery was funded somehow, not necessarily by the council, but they would have been pushing it to the right committees for funding. Please don't tell me it pays its way and makes money for this town, It doesn't.

McMahon thinks the Metro link will resurrect things. There are certainly plenty of takeaways to go to when you get of the tram.

McMahon is not interested in the towns sporting heritage. He will pay it lip service but brushes it under the carpet. It’s not about providing the Latics or the Rugby with a free stadium it's about building one for the town with a combination for public and private money. The land for Watersheddings and Westwood disappeared into other uses so the council owes it to the town to put something in place and start proposing deals to get it done. It may not be with the current club owners but with new interest in doing something.

I've been to all the other places where it’s happened. Look at Hunslet. It's not for the rugby it's for all sorts.

With McMahon the will is not there. If the will was there it could happen. It’s about vision and banging heads together.

Its not just face-lifting shops and blowing money on street furniture that make a place vibrant. I have seen all this garbage down Hathershaw, So called new deal nonsense, blowing 4 million on what? Is the place any better?

4 million, that’s part of a small/medium sport facility there right away .We could have had world cup matches for the rugby on the go now. That’s just for starters.

Some would argue that Hamilton would not be a trusted owner of the rugby league club. This may well be true. BQ did however make the point that the council were not interested.

McMahon’s attitude bears that out.

There is little enough to keep me coming to Oldham .No cinemas, rubbish town centre, I could go on. The rugby was always the thing. Now it ain't.

Most I want to do is watch the odd away match where at least I can sit in a covered stand should the need arise.

It could and should be so different.

#6 Rochdale Roughyed

Rochdale Roughyed
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

McMahon drapes his great adverts down the side of the derelict town hall telling us how great he has done. Yet the truth is the town has gone downhill on his watch. No Cinemas, No Ikea, no Marks, disappearing market, Spindles emptying. He acts as though he can't bang heads together to get ground sharing going.

He says we all want a vibrant town and good sports teams but waffles on about there being no money .At the same time he is going on about face-lifting Yorkshire St and the Old town hall and providing assistance to (wait for it) private companies who are in the area trading or who want to come into the area.

That art gallery was funded somehow, not necessarily by the council, but they would have been pushing it to the right committees for funding. Please don't tell me it pays its way and makes money for this town, It doesn't.

McMahon thinks the Metro link will resurrect things. There are certainly plenty of takeaways to go to when you get of the tram.

McMahon is not interested in the towns sporting heritage. He will pay it lip service but brushes it under the carpet. It’s not about providing the Latics or the Rugby with a free stadium it's about building one for the town with a combination for public and private money. The land for Watersheddings and Westwood disappeared into other uses so the council owes it to the town to put something in place and start proposing deals to get it done. It may not be with the current club owners but with new interest in doing something.

I've been to all the other places where it’s happened. Look at Hunslet. It's not for the rugby it's for all sorts.

With McMahon the will is not there. If the will was there it could happen. It’s about vision and banging heads together.

Its not just face-lifting shops and blowing money on street furniture that make a place vibrant. I have seen all this garbage down Hathershaw, So called new deal nonsense, blowing 4 million on what? Is the place any better?

4 million, that’s part of a small/medium sport facility there right away .We could have had world cup matches for the rugby on the go now. That’s just for starters.

Some would argue that Hamilton would not be a trusted owner of the rugby league club. This may well be true. BQ did however make the point that the council were not interested.

McMahon’s attitude bears that out.

There is little enough to keep me coming to Oldham .No cinemas, rubbish town centre, I could go on. The rugby was always the thing. Now it ain't.

Most I want to do is watch the odd away match where at least I can sit in a covered stand should the need arise.

It could and should be so different.

I'm an exile so can't really offer too much of an informed comment, but as far as an emotional response from afar is concerned.....i think you've nailed it. The town is dying from the inside out and ORLFC has been consumed by apathy and desolation. The writing has been on the wall for many years despite the valiant efforts of the very few who have neither the resources, nor financial clout to make the dream come true. There was a time, possibly as near as five years ago when Oldham were a sleeping giant still. Not now, no longer......a generation has now been lost.......and in sporting heritage terms, that is terminal. I'm not suggesting that it can't be recovered over the long term......but once a generation has been lost, it's like snakes and ladders......back to the start we go......Championship 1 is the bottom left corner of the board!

Edited by Rochdale Roughyed, 04 November 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#7 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:43 AM

The cheques from Oldham Council to the Oldham Athletic have always been backed up by assets from the Football club.

Oldham Rugby have no assets hence no money.

The council cannot just give money to Limited Companies, which they both are, without security.

Remember its not the Councillors own money it belongs to the Council tax payers in the Oldham and money from Central Government which is tax payers money.

The money for Capital in regard to a Limited company comes in the main from its shareholders and the good will of its bankers and its sponsors.

The only share older for Oldham RLFC is CH so he should be the first port of call. Looking at the situation in regards to the clubs debts which are over  £200k  at the present time one could  assume the club operates on a bank overdraft which leaves the sponsors which are not very large companies and many don't stay around for long.

Just out of interest how does one build up debts of £200,000 with no calateral whatsoever ????  Id love to know as im going to do the same ..... :tongue:

Posted Image

#8 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

That's is a 64 million dollar question you have raised Roughyedz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users