Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England v Italy - Live Score Updates

• Please log in to reply
430 replies to this topic

#421 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Your right, 36-24 evidently.

I think the USA were winning at one point. It's famous for Willy Mason's claim that the pitch was dangerous to play on.

#422 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Was that game a pre-season jolly or a serious warm up game for a major tournament ?

The Kangaroo v Tomahawks Game played on synthetic grass was and end of tour promotional  game on the way home after ripping GB a new one in the Tri Nations final 44-4

http://www.smh.com.a...1577535305.html

Edited by boxhead, 20 October 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#423 7723

• Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

Don't know if this has been put up yet from SLTV.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gOcmqP1_A0U

#424 tomdooley

tomdooley
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

i dont think jet lag is an issue South Africa is i believe in the same time zone or thereabouts as the UK.

#425 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Then you think wrong!

Glad you came round to my way of thinking on McNamara bearing some responsibility for the performance.

I said that there was nothing wrong with the team that was fielded.  Of course McNamara bears some responsibility for performance and result, but the way some folk go on on this thread you'd think it was completely his fault and the players exhonerated.  By the way you responded without any elaboration saying that....

'I disagree, there are a number of things wrong with that team.'

So.  What did McNamara do so spectacularly wrong to produce the loss result to Italy?  What were the number of things wrong with the team?  Do the players take the main responsibility for their game performance or the coach?

No drivel now! ;)

Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#426 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

To be honest I think that MacB although outwardly appearing to be a decisive and thorough coach is anything but and after three years of preparing his side has accomplished nothing of that nature.

Everyone writing on here could probably put out a reasonable pack from the forwards at his disposal, they could likewise make a fist of the threequarters, even though this could cause a good deal of argument over the selective process. But he is still tinkering around with an, any two from three for his Halves, which to be frank he is nowhere nearer deciding that problem than he was three seasons ago.

I contend that the reason that Brough has been excluded is due to the inclusion of his chosen captain. He could by no stretch of the imagination have both of them within his set-up and he has taken the Decision ( twelve months at least ago) to go with KS. He has at his disposal one of the most consistent S/Offs, over the last 3 seasons in the NRL, yet has Chase mixing up what should be the halves. Considering that he has already decided, long since, that Sinfield is going to be number 7 come what may.

On a personal basis I can see the problems concerning the inclusion of Brough and why he has come to the conclusion he has done, I think I would have done the same, but whyever Chase is in the mix still at the expense of having the alternative, if required of Brough,( who would surely given the chance have chosen England for sure) well there I am at a loss to explain.

So once again this inability to make a decision it seems was put on display, yet again, V Italy, culminating in a merry-go round ( it seems) of players swopping and changing in those positions! This following three years of, supposedly, intensive preparation and with the most important match of possibly everyone of his players careers plus, his own : ONE WEEK AWAY.

That's one of my opinions of why the coach himself is possibly the main stumbling block to our being victorious in the W/Cup, hope I am wrong; however.

#427 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Here we go EW http://www.lastampa....4hI/pagina.html

Circulation: 256,203

It's time to park the camels.

#428 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Here we go EW http://www.lastampa....4hI/pagina.html

Circulation: 256,203

Quite a good article if you'll pardon the translation. A history of RL, about the Italian team, it even bigs it up "more and more speed, power, athleticism. Not by chance Sonny Bill Williams, the superman of the last World Cup won by the All Blacks, now plays in the thirteenth"

If 25% of the circulation actually read it and 10% of that were intrigued enough to find out more that's around 6.5k Italians now interested in RL. I therefore see having Italy in the WC nothing but good for the game.

It's time to park the camels.

#429 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Quite a good article if you'll pardon the translation. A history of RL, about the Italian team, it even bigs it up "more and more speed, power, athleticism. Not by chance Sonny Bill Williams, the superman of the last World Cup won by the All Blacks, now plays in the thirteenth"

If 25% of the circulation actually read it and 10% of that were intrigued enough to find out more that's around 6.5k Italians now interested in RL. I therefore see having Italy in the WC nothing but good for the game.

Seems like a good article and on the front page of the sports section. Focuses a bit too much on the Australian nature of the squad but still a very positive piece. Hopefully, it encourages some to take notice.

Is the WC available in Italy?

#430 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

To be honest ....SNIP .

excellent post which no doubt has an element of truth running through it.

I'd go a bit further and contend that Widdop is similarly suffering from McNamaras stubborn streak and indecisiveness as is Ryan Atkins and to a lesser extent Daryl Goulding. During the Italy game the coach made no less than 5 positional or substitutionary changes to his halfback partnership which, as you say, is absolutely ridiculous just 7 days before the Australia match.

#431 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

During the Italy game the coach made no less than 5 positional or substitutionary changes to his halfback partnership which, as you say, is absolutely ridiculous just 7 days before the Australia match.

It really is an incredible stat. Especially when we consider that he made his choice for stability (Chase and Sinfield) seemingly 12 monnths ago by binning off Brough and anyone else who has dared to show form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users