RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup Final November 2013

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 597 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

McNamara's a pretty poor coach. Fact. Lets face it though, the team that played against Italy could have been coached by Warren Jowitt and should still have won at a canter. I'm also fairly sure that he won't have encouraged Gareth Hock and his fellow morons to have gone on a post-match booze up to celebrate that defeat. The events of the last week say far, far more about the mentality and professionalism of our 'elite' players than McNamara's coaching ability.

I disagree, we don't genuinely know what has happened or the issues surrounding the night out. Some say Hock smacked Graham for instance.

But what is clear about the England camp is that there is something not right and that for me has to fall with the coach. Australias pre RLWC training was done in the UK, in British conditions yet when the Aussies rolled up the England team were chilled out by a pool in South Africa.

I remember right before the RLWC furore took pace and Mcnamara was talking about how he doesnt know if this will be his last year as England coach - Uncertainty in a role which was given to him to provide certainty!

By this afternoon we may all be reassured that Mcnamara does actually know what he is doing and I hope England do go on and beat Australia later today.

I guess we'll know soon enough :drag:

*edit* Doesnt help when Mcnamara strops off when questioned on his selection: http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/24675754

Edited by funkmaster flex, 26 October 2013 - 07:46 AM.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#22 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

I disagree, we don't genuinely know what has happened or the issues surrounding the night out. Some say Hock smacked Graham for instance.

But what is clear about the England camp is that there is something not right and that for me has to fall with the coach. Australias pre RLWC training was done in the UK, in British conditions yet when the Aussies rolled up the England team were chilled out by a pool in South Africa.

I remember right before the RLWC furore took pace and Mcnamara was talking about how he doesnt know if this will be his last year as England coach - Uncertainty in a role which was given to him to provide certainty!

By this afternoon we may all be reassured that Mcnamara does actually know what he is doing and I hope England do go on and beat Australia later today.

I guess we'll know soon enough :drag:

*edit* Doesnt help when Mcnamara strops off when questioned on his selection: http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/24675754

Although the Finest Coach in SL ™ also failed miserably when attempting to get decent performances out of our elite squad last time there was a World Cup. I reckon there's just more than a smidgeon of truth in what Terminator says. RL players in general seem to be able to be far more committed to their clubs and performances than to internationals, especially when the latter take place after the end on the regular season.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#23 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Although the Finest Coach in SL ™ also failed miserably when attempting to get decent performances out of our elite squad last time there was a World Cup. I reckon there's just more than a smidgeon of truth in what Terminator says. RL players in general seem to be able to be far more committed to their clubs and performances than to internationals, especially when the latter take place after the end on the regular season.

Sinfield and chase at halfback....no chance.
"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#24 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Not a bad game that! Too many penalties and simple errors in the second half. Thank goodness for the Burgess brothers tho

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#25 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 597 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Not a bad game that! Too many penalties and simple errors in the second half. Thank goodness for the Burgess brothers tho

I agree, England played a brilliant 60 minutes and showed that though we weren't quite there - We weren't that far off.

Onward and upward :)

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#26 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

Well my prediction was pretty close

If not bang on ;)

#27 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

I agree, England played a brilliant 60 minutes and showed that though we weren't quite there - We weren't that far off.

Onward and upward :)

but haven't we been saying this for 20 odd years?

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

#28 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'm not convinced
Aussies had plenty in the tank

Aussie vs kiwis regardless of what
Is concluded from today's performance.

;)

#29 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Which ones - the ones who made loads of tackles and metres or the ones who kept dropping the ball, giving away penalties and who should have been sent off?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#30 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm not convinced
Aussies had plenty in the tank

Aussie vs kiwis regardless of what
Is concluded from today's performance.

;)

One interesting stat was the number of Aussies who are 29+. Someone could turn them over, but it probably won't be us.

:shout:

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#31 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

We just don't have the half backs to dictate the game. Cronkite and Thurston ran the game, Sinfield tries and Chase is hit and miss. Australia v NZ final

#32 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

A decent halfback combination would have pushed us over the threshold today - quite blatantly, in fact. Too bad that we don't have any other options in the squad whereby the coach could remedy this. Chase was anonymous in his restricted role, and Sinfield at scrum half? Quite possibly the most baffling (and bafflingly enduring) selection in the history of the sport.

Posted Image

#33 il cattivo

il cattivo
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

The game changer for me was when england were 10-0 to the good,and the kangaroos brought on Fifita and Corey Parker.they gave great momentum to the Aussie pack and room for thurston and Cronk to play...anyone who watched state of origin this year would know how well these two forwards played....great preperation for test rugby eh? Better that a week in South Africa me-thinks........... :-)

#34 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

A decent halfback combination would have pushed us over the threshold today - quite blatantly, in fact. Too bad that we don't have any other options in the squad whereby the coach could remedy this. Chase was anonymous in his restricted role, and Sinfield at scrum half? Quite possibly the most baffling (and bafflingly enduring) selection in the history of the sport.

Agreed. Creditable performance by the England lads though - they were better than I ever thought they would be. The game didn't alter my opinions of macnamara as a coach though, particularly his team selection. Two square pegs in round holes at halfback ensured there was no credible threat from there, and Mossop, Ablett and Cudjoe are not any where near international standard IMO. Even Charnley looked out of his depth and I thought he might be a stand out player. We should qualify to the next round, but there doesn't look much chance of us being in the final.

#35 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

Agreed. Creditable performance by the England lads though - they were better than I ever thought they would be. The game didn't alter my opinions of macnamara as a coach though, particularly his team selection. Two square pegs in round holes at halfback ensured there was no credible threat from there, and Mossop, Ablett and Cudjoe are not any where near international standard IMO. Even Charnley looked out of his depth and I thought he might be a stand out player. We should qualify to the next round, but there doesn't look much chance of us being in the final.

I hate to sound like I'm defending SMc but coaches before him have been equally guilty of the same thing (remember Farrell at stand-off). The fact is that we don't have any decent half-backs in the country who are prepared to play for England at present.

I also think we could well get to the final - we have a decent track record against NZ on our own patch - but if we did we would get hammered this time. the Aussies will have shaken off the rustiness by then.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 27 October 2013 - 11:49 AM.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#36 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

I hate to sound like I'm defending SMc but coaches before him have been equally guilty of the same thing (remember Farrell at stand-off). The fact is that we don't have any decent half-backs in the country who are prepared to play for England at present.

I also think we could well get to the final - we have a decent track record against NZ on our own patch - but if we did we would get hammered this time. the Aussies will have shaken off the rustiness by then.

Rumour has it Tomkins started life as a stand off. ;) Chase to scrum half, Widdop to fullback, Hardacre to centre, Burrow  to the bench, sinfield to loose forward Burgess (subject to availability) to second row - simples.

#37 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

Burrow to scrum half and chase to the bench.

#38 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Burrow to scrum half and chase to the bench.

Reckon Burrow is a better impact player, and he'd be covering half back and hooker - big ask if you start him.

#39 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,530 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

The RLWC games have all been great so far - something of a throwback in fact. Played in "proper" RL conditions with bags of commitment, no little skill - tough but honest.

So what if the Aussies will win it again in the end? The games in the meantime have been a joy to watch (thank you Virgin Media).

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#40 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Agreed blind side jonny and anyway, who says the Aussies will defo win? Kiwis 2008! England 2013?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users