Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup Referees

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Has there been an announcement about who the world cup referees will be?

I'm guessing we will have Ben Cummins & Shayne Hayne (Aus), Henry Penerara (NZ), Thierry (Fra) and a couple from England as well.

To make it a truly international World Cup, I would like to see touch judges appointed from some of the lesser nation's.  After all they don't appear to have much power nowadays and it could be a good incentive to develop officials in those countries.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#2 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

Ashley Klein is one referee also as well as the ones mentioned above. Those coming from Aus & NZ are refereeing University games on Wednesday.

#3 The Game Caller

The Game Caller
  • Facebook
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Has there been an announcement about who the world cup referees will be?

I'm guessing we will have Ben Cummins & Shayne Hayne (Aus), Henry Penerara (NZ), Thierry (Fra) and a couple from England as well.

To make it a truly international World Cup, I would like to see touch judges appointed from some of the lesser nation's. After all they don't appear to have much power nowadays and it could be a good incentive to develop officials in those countries.

You have the following;

Richard Silverwood (Eng)
Ben Thaler (Eng)
Phil Bentham (Eng)
Shayne Hayne (Aus)
Ben Cummins (Aus)
Ashley Klein (Aus)
Henry Perenara (NZ)
Thierry Alibert (Fra)

Four World Cup referees are to warm up for the tournament by taking charge of some local student fixtures.  

The Rugby League World Cup kicks off on Saturday, October 26 but the officials, all from the NRL, will be flying in prior to the start of the tournament and have been allocated games in the North West on Wednesday, October 23rd. 

Shayne Hayne will be officiating at the Liverpool University v Hull University match, Ben Cummins will be in charge of Liverpool John Moores v Leeds Met while Henry Perenara will oversee another Lancashire v Yorkshire clash when Manchester Met are at home to Leeds Met A.

Former Super League referee Ashley Klein will take charge of the Chester University v Salford University match.

#4 The Game Caller

The Game Caller
  • Facebook
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Henry Perenara to take control of England vs Australia at Cardiff.

Edited by The Game Caller, 20 October 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Henry Perenara is here . Oh goody ! Let's hope he's a bit more competent and a bit less cowed by refereeing the Aussies ... But given what happened in the NRL playoffs I'm not holding my breath . He gets a gig purely because he's a kiwi , let's be honest . And he will be on his own in internationals ... Fingers crossed .

Edited by DavidM, 20 October 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#6 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Well if we want at least nominally independent refs our choices become limited
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#7 The Game Caller

The Game Caller
  • Facebook
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Match Officials for Saturday's #RLWC2013 Opener in Cardiff.

England vs Australia: Henry Perenara (New Zealand)

Wales vs Italy: Ashley Klein (Australia)

#8 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Henry Perenara is here . Oh goody ! Let's hope he's a bit more competent and a bit less cowed by refereeing the Aussies ... But given what happened in the NRL playoffs I'm not holding my breath . He gets a gig purely because he's a kiwi , let's be honest . And he will be on his own in internationals ... Fingers crossed .

You don't want Aussie Refs and the Kiwi Ref is no good....

That leaves Alibert or an English Ref.

What would you like?

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

Did I write a bit about Aussie refs in invisible ink ? Perenara I don't rate as a top ref for a top game . In my opinion the best refs should be appointed regardless of nationality . Same goes for cricket umpires ! Hayne is the best , I think he should get it . He is comfortable with the big occassion .Just my opinion , get the best man for any job

Edited by DavidM, 21 October 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#10 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Did I write a bit about Aussie refs in invisible ink ? Perenara I don't rate as a top ref for a top game . In my opinion the best refs should be appointed regardless of nationality . Same goes for cricket umpires ! Hayne is the best , I think he should get it . He is comfortable with the big occassion .Just my opinion , get the best man for any job

I am sorry I tarred you with the common brush.

There are endless complaints about Australians wanting their own Refs for all of their games.

I personally do not care who Refs as long as he is consistent and knows the rules.

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,315 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Amen to that . In this day and age , with the scrutiny and aids involved , surely we can just get the best official on any given day .

#12 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Post below a bit easier on the eye!

Edited by MidlandsRugbyLeague, 21 October 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#13 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Day  Date   Venue     Team  Team  Referee  Touch Judges   Video Referee
Saturday 26.10.13 - 2.30pm Millennium Stadium, Cardiff  Australia   V England H Perenara G Atkins        R Hicks  B Thaler
Saturday 26.10.13 - 4.30pm Millennium Stadium, Cardiff  Wales   V Italy  A Klein  J Thomson       J Periera S Hayne
Sunday  27.10.13 - 4.00pm Craven Park, Hull   Papua New Guinea V France   B Cummins J Child         C Sharrad P Bentham
Sunday  27.10.13 - 6.00pm The Halliwell Jones Stadium,Warrington New Zealand V Samoa   R Silverwood T Roby          J Cobb  T Alibert
Monday  28.10.13 - 8.00pm Spotland Stadium, Rochdale   Fiji   V Ireland  P Bentham M Craven        T Martin H Perenara
Tuesday  29.10.13 - 8.00pm Derwent Park, Workington  Tonga V Scotland S Hayne  W Turley        M Thomason A Klein
Wednesday 30.10.13 - 8.00pm The Memorial Stadium, Bristol  USA V Cook Islands B Thaler G Stokes        C Leatherbarrow R Silverwood
Friday  01.11.13 - 8.00pm Parc des Sports, Avignon  New Zealand V France  P Bentham G Atkins        R Hicks  S Hayne
Saturday 02.11.13 - 2.30pm John Smiths Stadium, Huddersfield England   V Ireland T Alibert J Thomson       J Periera   H Perenara
Saturday 02.11.13 - 8.00pm Langtree Park, St Helens  Australia V Fiji   R Silverwood J Child         T Roby  B Thaler
Sunday  03.11.13 - 2.00pm Racecourse Stadium, Wrexham  Wales V USA    B Cummins C Sharrad       J Cobb  P Bentham
Sunday  03.11.13 - 4.00pm Derwent Park, Workington  Scotland   V Italy  H Perenara M Craven        T Martin T Alibert
Monday  04.11.13 - 8.00pm Craven Park, Hull   Papua New Guinea V Samoa S Hayne  G Stokes        C Leatherbarrow A Klein
Tuesday  05.11.13 - 8.00pm Leigh Sports Village   Tonga V Cook Islands A Klein  W Turley        M Thomason R Silverwood
Thursday 07.11.13 - 8.00pm The AJ Bell Stadium, Salford  Scotland   V USA   T Alibert J Child         T Roby  H Perenara
Friday  08.11.13 - 8.00pm Headingley Carnegie Stadium, Leeds New Zealand V Papua New Guinea A Klein  J Periera       R Hicks  R Silverwood
Saturday 09.11.13 - 2.30pm The KC Stadium, Hull   England   V Fiji   B Cummins J Thomson       G Atkins S Hayne
Saturday 09.11.13 - 8.00pm Thomond Park, Limerick   Australia V Ireland P Bentham J Cobb          G Stokes T Alibert
Sunday  10.11.13 - 2.00pm The Gnoll, Neath   Wales V Cook Islands R Silverwood C Leatherbarrow W Turley A Klein
Sunday  10.11.13 - 4.00pm The Shay, Halifax   Tonga V Italy  B Thaler C Sharrad       T Roby  P Bentham
Monday  11.11.13 - 8.00pm Gilbert Brutus Stadium, Perpignan France V Samoa  H Perenara R Hicks         J Child  S Hayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users