TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Italy beat England

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Outsiders Italy dealt England a big blow when they beat them in a warm up match yesterday.

Italy, 1000-1 outsiders, stunned their fancied opponents.

Steve McNamara's outfit were disjointed and out of sorts.

There performance worsened as did the weather in Salford where the game was held.

England humiliated was one media comment.

Some sports writers are writing off England's chances now even before the tournament proper gets underway.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

I'd all but written them off when I knew that McNamara was coach. Not that I dislike the man - he's a perfectly nice bloke - but because he doesn't have a track record of exceptional coaching.

Then I saw who had picked/left out and recognised it was all but a lost cause.

However, there are still some great players in the England side, and if they go out and disregard pretty much everything they've been told on the traning paddock, they could yet do very well indeed. Gel as a side and it's game on.

We live in hope.

#3 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

Attitude cost us: England coach

YES WELL ! The pic on that article tells a story :tongue:

I've always thought as long as the McBanana coaches England player strife will be rife :hunter:

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#4 kiwityke

kiwityke
  • Coach
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

USA beat France not as big a beat up but noteworthy nontheless 22 18, presumably in France

#5 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

Amazed McN has kept the job so long. Maybe it's because games are normally well spaced and against predictable opposition.

England might turn it round from here and who knows go a long way in the comp. However, now we have some new quality players with increasing numbers experienced in Oz, it's time we had a top class coach who's also delivered at the top level as a coach.

The result against italy might prove to be a blip, but it did expose problems that need resolving at a coaching level.

#6 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

The Coach and the lack of good Halves and perhaps Centres is what is holding England back from winning anything.

#7 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

Hopefully they will put on a better show against Australia - they'll certainly need to.

Let's hope they 'click'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users