• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

I needs some advice.

We are thinking of moving to Boston Spa as I now have a job in Leeds, after 4 years working in Hull. We have seen a really nice cottage we both like, the only issue is that it has a hard fuel boiler. As anyone got experience of these? Are they economical or a right pain in the backside?

Thanks

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

I needs some advice.

We are thinking of moving to Boston Spa as I now have a job in Leeds, after 4 years working in Hull. We have seen a really nice cottage we both like, the only issue is that it has a hard fuel boiler. As anyone got experience of these? Are they economical or a right pain in the backside?

Thanks

My parents have got one. To be honest it's a doddle, one bucket if anthracite per day and a pull of the handle each morning and that's about it for a warm house and hot water. They replaced the 1970s one the other year and don't regret it one bit.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 20 October 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

I had a solid fuel fire for years that ran off sun-bright doubles (looks like coke) excellent system, plenty of hot water and the radiators  where banging, once you get into the routine of emptying the ashes once a day they're a doddle and you have the bonus of a nice glowing fire.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Are they a pain in summer though, when you don't really need to fire buring?

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

Are they a pain in summer though, when you don't really need to fire buring?

Either turn it off and heat the water on electric, or just turn down the airflow.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,212 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

My sister's just had wood pellet central heating installed.  

Like solar panels, you can get a bit of installation money off the government as a 'renewable heat incentive'.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users