Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hard Fuel Boiler

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

I needs some advice.

We are thinking of moving to Boston Spa as I now have a job in Leeds, after 4 years working in Hull. We have seen a really nice cottage we both like, the only issue is that it has a hard fuel boiler. As anyone got experience of these? Are they economical or a right pain in the backside?

Thanks

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

I needs some advice.

We are thinking of moving to Boston Spa as I now have a job in Leeds, after 4 years working in Hull. We have seen a really nice cottage we both like, the only issue is that it has a hard fuel boiler. As anyone got experience of these? Are they economical or a right pain in the backside?

Thanks

My parents have got one. To be honest it's a doddle, one bucket if anthracite per day and a pull of the handle each morning and that's about it for a warm house and hot water. They replaced the 1970s one the other year and don't regret it one bit.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 20 October 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,692 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

I had a solid fuel fire for years that ran off sun-bright doubles (looks like coke) excellent system, plenty of hot water and the radiators  where banging, once you get into the routine of emptying the ashes once a day they're a doddle and you have the bonus of a nice glowing fire.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Are they a pain in summer though, when you don't really need to fire buring?

#5 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

Are they a pain in summer though, when you don't really need to fire buring?

Either turn it off and heat the water on electric, or just turn down the airflow.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

My sister's just had wood pellet central heating installed.  

Like solar panels, you can get a bit of installation money off the government as a 'renewable heat incentive'.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users