Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Hinkley Point

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

So there's going to be a new Nuclear Power station in Somerset.  A couple of things that stand out for me are:

1. It's going to be largely owned by the Chinese and French state.

2. The Guaranteed price per unit of electricity is 77% above today's price.

EDF are looking at making a 10% return which must be like Christmas everyday for them and the French taxpayer.  The question is that if this government is so clearly against state investment and involvement how come it is happy to have the state investment from two other states?

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#2 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

bloke on radio 4 just now mentioned its only govs that do this sort of stuff and we will have some form of gov investment. It'll be on iplayer in a bit.

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

Either the taxpayer pays, as now with the huge cost of nuclear decommissioning, or the consumer pays, as now with the rising cost of fuel, or the pesky furriners pay...or all three. 

One thing is sure, we are about to enter a new phase of political posturing, ill-informed criticism and debate, and late and over budget delivery of projects.

Meanwhile, the cost of energy will continue its relentless rise...the only realistic way that consumption will decrease. 

#4 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

Radio 5 just now. Apparently we could have built our own but ex dear leader flogged off our capability. BNFL ? Westinghausen? Or something.

#5 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Nuclear good.  EDF iffy (10 years late on average with delivering them in Finland and France).  Technology 'old'.  Cost looks expensive.

So one step forward, two back?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#6 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

flogged off our capability

Incapability is maybe a better description, though. Always(very)  late. always (very) over budget, always the taxpayer paying.....

Edited by JohnM, 21 October 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

I'm all for nuclear power, but a Severn Barrage would apparently have been cheaper. As it will take ten years to build the nuclear plant, the barrage plant would presumably also be quicker to come on stream.

http://www.walesonli...nuclear-6214900

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

It's shameful political posturing that has happened from both Tories and Labour since the 80s.  The UK has needed a national power strategy for decades yet neither government wants to invest in it as the delivery is likely to come when their opponents are in power.  Far better to say you're fixing something now, much like hospital PFI schemes, then let the next government pick up the over-inflated bill for it when it finally delivers.  Why would Cameron, Clegg and co care about what happens 10 years from now when the power generation from these reactors kicks in, they'll be long gone as a political force.

Take, for example, if Labour had decided back in 2005 to seriously consider investing in nuclear power plants, rather than wasting £10bn on ID cards from 2005-2010, then we'd be looking at the first of 5 new nuclear plants due to come online in a couple of years and, what's better, we'd own the things that we could then lease to power companies.  If Major had decided in 1995 to do the same then we'd be wondering what all the fuss was about on the global energy markets as we'd be able to provide our own electricity at bargain basement prices through the state owned plants already running.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'm all for nuclear power, but a Severn Barrage would apparently have been cheaper. As it will take ten years to build the nuclear plant, the barrage plant would presumably also be quicker to come on stream.

A co-ordinated multi-source energy strategy would be even better, taking advantage of all sources.  That'd require competent political thought though.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

The thought is there, I am sure. Just not the votes. And of course, it'll cost to produce clean reliable  low emission, safe,  secure energy...and it seems, we all want someone else to pay.

#11 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,949 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

I really don't understand why a small town in Leicestershire has been picked as the preferred location.

Seems mad to me and very dangerous
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#12 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

There's got to be a joke about the Severn Bore in there somewhere.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#13 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

I really don't understand why a small town in Leicestershire has been picked as the preferred location.Seems mad to me and very dangerous

It's because with global warming the sea will reach Burbage.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

If this is a reference to West Country Eagle then it's bang out of order.

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

Any reference to Stephen Jones belongs on the Cross Code Forum.

#16 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

cant we just get all the un employed to tread huge hamster wheels? also getting them fit in the process and saving on the nhs as a bonus

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

there are options;

1. get the taxpayer to pay, like with HS2

2. Scrap HS2 and for the same money build four new Nuclear power stations 

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

there are options;

1. get the taxpayer to pay, like with HS2

2. Scrap HS2 and for the same money build four new Nuclear power stations 

... in Surrey

;) B)

#19 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

cant we just get all the un employed to tread huge hamster wheels? also getting them fit in the process and saving on the nhs as a bonus

Clearly this is IDS.

#20 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,915 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

why are countrys such as germany decommissioning their nuclear power stations

isn't contracting a nationalised business contrary to the government's beliefs?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users