Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Hinkley Point

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

I don't think so, Google pulls up lots of results. But if you want a comprehensive/factual reason you should ask people who were close to the decision.

What reasons? You asked why we're going to build one when Germany are shutting theirs. The answer is because some people think it's the right thing for us to do.

how do you know have you asked them?

look chief I'm asking reasonable questions here as part of a discussion.: you just seem to want to #### about. If you don't have any information then why are you playing these silly games?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#42 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

Preferably near deep coastal water.  The ideal scenario is to have a massive tank at sea level with an inlet pipe about 100m below sea level, it'll naturally top itself up from the very cold water from 100m down, no need for pumps.  From there, you use a sealed pumping system (to avoid salt corrosion one way and radioactive contamination the other) to cool the hot bits of the reactor with the water pumped back out to sea at a higher temperature.  Very efficient and very cheap.  The only surprise I have with the things is that they don't use the outgoing water to almost self-power like a siphon and hydro-electric plant in one, I suppose they don't really want to over-engineer a critical system.

As at Dungeness. Spent some time "B" ( now owned by EDF!)  around the time APC went bust. I wonder how the Germans cope (and the French) who have inland plant , though often river based.  I wonder if the German decision is really based on end of life issues..I Think they all be switched off by 2022 . though thet date was set by Gerhard Schroder as 2012 see http://en.wikipedia....ase-out#Germany

Though in favour of nuclear power, it odes seem beset by problems wherever you look.

#43 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

We need to utilise the big blue wobbly thing off the coast - hydro, tidal and marine power is theway to go, add to that biomass and possibly algae oil and were sorted

Edited by hoff, 23 October 2013 - 06:52 AM.

#44 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

We need to utilise the big blue wobbly thing off the coast - hydro, tidal and marine power is theway to go, add to that biomass and possibly algae oil and were sorted

nuclear power only addresses a small part of the issue.

Even if we for a moment we disregard the inevitability sooner or later of a nuclear catastrophe at one of these facilities-check out the UK's record on nuclear safety: all nuclear power does os provide us base load electricity, it doesn't affect-other than delay the inevitable depletion of the coal, oil and gas resources which the developed to the detriment of the planet depends on. There is no sign that the developed world is changing the way it functions in any meaningful way in response to this: just the opposite.

alternative ways of providing energy are fine, but the resal issue is the way the developed world lives.

Keeping it local

#45 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

nuclear power only addresses a small part of the issue.

Even if we for a moment we disregard the inevitability sooner or later of a nuclear catastrophe at one of these facilities-check out the UK's record on nuclear safety: all nuclear power does os provide us base load electricity, it doesn't affect-other than delay the inevitable depletion of the coal, oil and gas resources which the developed to the detriment of the planet depends on. There is no sign that the developed world is changing the way it functions in any meaningful way in response to this: just the opposite.

alternative ways of providing energy are fine, but the resal issue is the way the developed world lives.

the real issue is the way the developed world lives.

yes, I can see that and largely agree.  I think we are using more and more energy ( though it might be interesting to see if there are any figures that show that)  and in my view that is something worthy of tackling. 

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,878 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

the real issue is the way the developed world lives.

yes, I can see that and largely agree.  I think we are using more and more energy ( though it might be interesting to see if there are any figures that show that)  and in my view that is something worthy of tackling. 

if you look at the way China and India have grown industrially as well as with populations it is inevitable, as well as the US cavalier attitude to emissions etc etc etc it is inevitable

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 23 October 2013 - 10:37 AM.

Keeping it local

#47 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

I think we are using more and more energy ( though it might be interesting to see if there are any figures that show that)  and in my view that is something worthy of tackling. 

Quite right. The government should allow the over-fifties extra time off work to lie in bed and save on the heating.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#48 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

it worked for me!

#49 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,042 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Here is what the editor of "The Engineer" has to say.

#50 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

We should go the whole hog and outsource all our needs. We'd save a fortune if we offload our government and became the 53rd state. At least we'd know we were just behind New Orleans in the pecking order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users