Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

26/10/13: World Cup Game 1 - Australia v England

Sat 26th Oct 2.30pm BBC1

• Please log in to reply
957 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (44 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (18 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. England by 1 to 6 points (22 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. England by 7 to 12 points (17 votes [15.45%])

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

7. England by 13 points or more (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

We can definatley catch the Aussies out cold in this match, the only problem is that as the tournament goes on the Aussies start to build momentum and start to click. Hence all the English finals and third test heartbreak.

I do not think the Aussies are going to be complacent in this Tournament Walter.

England have a great team other than the Halves and perhaps Centres, without the link players and the strike players they may not capitalise on a Forward pack that holds its own.

England have to score more than they concede to win apparently.

#22 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

The bookies (Paddy Power) have given England a 12 point start on the handicap which seems generous after having most recently lost by 22, 16, 20 and 30 points. For the most recent time we got within 12 points you have to go back to Oct-09 when we lost by 10 points at Wigan (ironically after perhaps the worst 40 minute performance of all these games when we got pasted out wide in the first half).

I'd have thought that would be about right. Aussies are definately favourites but I think (or is it hope?) we have a better team than we did when we played them in 2011

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#23 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

The bookies (Paddy Power) have given England a 12 point start on the handicap which seems generous after having most recently lost by 22, 16, 20 and 30 points. For the most recent time we got within 12 points you have to go back to Oct-09 when we lost by 10 points at Wigan (ironically after perhaps the worst 40 minute performance of all these games when we got pasted out wide in the first half).

Geez NW7 I'd almost forgotten about that one. They are like rainy days aren't they :D

#24 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Geez NW7 I'd almost forgotten about that one. They are like rainy days aren't they :D

Ha I know, the memory of Lee Smith (playing right centre!) being skinned by Greg Inglis at will still haunts me, and I think Tom Briscoe was subbed off at half-time with Smith moved to the wing to try and halt the flow.

I think if England can get within the 12 point handicap it will be a good result for the tournament and show that we can pose a realistic threat to winning the trophy.

#25 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Tomkins
Hall
Watkins
Cudjoe
Briscoe
Chase
Sinfield
G burgess
Mclorum
Mossop
Westwood
Burgess
Oloughlin

Roby
Hock
Graham
T burgess

#26 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

Ha I know, the memory of Lee Smith (playing right centre!) being skinned by Greg Inglis at will still haunts me, and I think Tom Briscoe was subbed off at half-time with Smith moved to the wing to try and halt the flow.

I think if England can get within the 12 point handicap it will be a good result for the tournament and show that we can pose a realistic threat to winning the trophy.

Yeah, that was a really dark day with the DW (JJB then) far from full. By half-time I was ready to throw myself off a bridge. I actually think this one will be a very cagey affair in the first half. Lots of biff and completed sets. Many of the Aussies (Hayne, Thurston, Slater, Smith, Cronk, Scott, Gallen, Bird) have not played a game in anger for 5-6 weeks. They will be dusty and we need to shove it up 'em. They don't like it up 'em!! LOL

#27 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, that was a really dark day with the DW (JJB then) far from full. By half-time I was ready to throw myself off a bridge. I actually think this one will be a very cagey affair in the first half. Lots of biff and completed sets. Many of the Aussies (Hayne, Thurston, Slater, Smith, Cronk, Scott, Gallen, Bird) have not played a game in anger for 5-6 weeks. They will be dusty and we need to shove it up 'em. They don't like it up 'em!! LOL

Does anyone like it "up em" 

The Aussies have another team trying to put it  "up em" three times every year.

Its State of Origin, you would figure they are used to it by now.

#28 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

As much as some people on here moan about McNamara, the squad selections chosen on this thread show how hard a job he has.  7 teams selected, 7 different selections, and all with valid and reasonable inclusions/exclusions.

No matter what team he goes with he will get it wrong in 90% of people's opinions.

#29 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

As much as some people on here moan about McNamara, the squad selections chosen on this thread show how hard a job he has.  7 teams selected, 7 different selections, and all with valid and reasonable inclusions/exclusions.

No matter what team he goes with he will get it wrong in 90% of people's opinions.

He is an average Coach but a champion Scapegoat it seems.

#30 WarriorTom

WarriorTom
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Tomkins
Charnley
Cudjoe
Watkins
Hall
Widdop
Chase
Graham
Mcllorum/roby
Mossop
Westwood
S Burgess
O'loughlin

Roby/Mcllorum
G burgess
Hock
C Hill

#31 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

Does anyone like it "up em" 

The Aussies have another team trying to put it  "up em" three times every year.

Its State of Origin, you would figure they are used to it by now.

Yeah, it also sounds like they like to sing Queensland songs after they win with the Kangaroos too :) . However, as you are new to this board (new or previously banned and are now returning under a new name) I will fill you in.

You will find that there is a collective group of TotalRLers who have suffered generations of disappointment with Eng/GB and need the "shove it up 'em cry" to help blur out the many many disappointments. I will be starting the annual 'they don't like it up 'em thread in the next 24 hours - watch it grow.

Edited by Scubby, 21 October 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#32 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, it also sounds like they like to sing Queensland songs after they win with the Kangaroos too :) . However, as you are new to this board (new or previously banned and are now returning under a new name) I will fill you in.

You will find that there is a collective group of TotalRLers who have suffered generations of disappointment with Eng/GB and need the "shove it up 'em cry" to help blur out the many many disappointments. I will be starting the annual 'they don't like it up 'em thread in the next 24 hours - watch it grow.

I have never been banned from any Forum.

I used to post here under another name but when I came back here recently I found I could not log in so I had to join up again.

#33 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

So it comes on BBC at 2pm, but doesn't the OC start at 1:30pm?

It's time to park the camels.

#34 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

England will win this game,
tomkins
charnley
Hardaker
watkins
hall
chase
widdop
graham
roby
s .burgess
hock
Westwood
sinfield (if oloughlin dnt make it)

Mcilorom
mossop
hill
g.burgess

#35 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

The only way ablett can counter inglis is by locking him in the changeroom.

Watkins (right centre) will be opposite Inglis (left centre) anyway; well should be...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#36 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hope England don't fall into the trap of getting over 'pumped-up' for this one.. we've seen teams in the past go into a game so pumped up it has the reverse effect.

Forget the Italy game, thats history. Lets prepare properly to face the best team in the comp. Get focused on what we need to do and execute. We've got enough players with big game experience to handle any situation, lets make sure we remember that fact.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

If Ablett is selected in the Centres it is already conceding that England is trying to counteract the opposition rather than playing their own game.

A Club Second rower is not what you want against the best Back in the World.

#38 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

If Ablett is selected in the Centres it is already conceding that England is trying to counteract the opposition rather than playing their own game.

A Club Second rower is not what you want against the best Back in the World.

Agreed.

My England 17 would be:

1. S Tomkins 2. Charnley 3. Watkins 4. Cudjoe 5. Hall 6. Widdop 7. Chase

8. Graham 9. Sinfield 10. Mossop 11. Hock 12. S Burgess 13. O'Loughlin

14. McIllorum 15. Hill 16. G Burgess 17. Westwood

Plenty of attacking threat and forward aggressiveness across the park with Sinfield to steer the ship around the field. McIllorum is a better option than Roby for this when Sinfield comes off. C

Can't wait!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#39 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

1 - Tomkins
2 - Charnley
3 - Watkins
4 - Cudjoe
5 - Hall
6 - Widdop
7 - Sinfield
8 - Mossop
9 - Roby
10 - Hill
11 - S.Burgess
12 - Westwood
13 - O'Loughlin

14 - Chase
15 - J.Graham
16 - G.Burgess
17 - Hock

The first 15 minutes are just going to be a bash em competition with a lot of energy spent in the forwards - Hill and Mossop can hold their own in this department.  After 15 I would then bring on Gurgess and Graham to continue bashing holes for these two - Gurgess to continue bashing them, and Graham to do what he does best - take it to the line and either make yards or put Surgess/Westwood through holes.  After 25 minutes then bring on Hock for Westwood.

Graham will then play for the rest of the game, and probably give Sam a 10min breather just after half time.  We need our strongest defenders on the pitch between 55-65 minutes as this is when we tend to ship points

are you a ventriloquist in your spare time.

#40 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

are you a ventriloquist in your spare time.

Yes Rob Burrow is his Doll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users