Photo
- - - - -

26/10/13: World Cup Game 1 - Australia v England

Sat 26th Oct 2.30pm BBC1

• Please log in to reply
957 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (44 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (18 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. England by 1 to 6 points (22 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. England by 7 to 12 points (17 votes [15.45%])

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

7. England by 13 points or more (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,844 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Gruff's team does it for me.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#42 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

Gruff's team does it for me.

Do you not think having a spare halfback on the bench is a waste? Contunity is key in those positions!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#43 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,844 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Do you not think having a spare halfback on the bench is a waste? Contunity is key in those positions!

I take the point, but I would see Sinfield reverting to 9 and Chase injecting a bit of something different from the bench.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#44 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

If we had 2 of the best players in the world in those positions then yes I would.  But we don't so we will find ourselves at times having to mix it up a bit.

I think it's a given Sinfield will play hooker at some point, therefore Chase can move into the scrumhalf position.

Widdop to stay at 6 throughout.

I think having Chase, Widdop and Sinfield on the pitch altogether at certain times throughout the game will gives us a bit more unpredictability.  

#45 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,054 posts

Yes Rob Burrow is his Doll

Gurgess,

#46 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

I agree.

If Chase has to cover the backs it means a team shuffle, I am not sure if England can afford a shuffle and players out of position as much as a team like Australia can where many of the outside backs and even Half's could play anywhere in the backline.

#47 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

When Shenton went off back in 2009 England collapsed not so much because of the loss of  Shentons skills but the re shuffle made the team a basketcase and open to Australia's attack.

You need a versatile Bench player that can cover the backs for injuries or a player like Luke Lewis or Bird that is comfortable in the Forwards or backs.

Picking a Bench player only for one role could be a disaster.

Edited by boxhead, 21 October 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#48 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

I think having Chase, Widdop and Sinfield on the pitch altogether at certain times throughout the game will gives us a bit more unpredictability.  

That's my point, start with Sinfield at hooker. 6 and 7 need to be on the field at kick off and stay in those positions; continuity brings understanding and organisation to the party, something, which interchanging those KEY positions doesn't.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#49 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

I've added a poll to this thread.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#50 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

I've added a poll to this thread.

Amazingly, narrow losses don't seem to occur in this fixture. Obviously, we have be flogged a few times by the Aussies but I can only remember an 8-4 defeat in 2004 being within 6 points. Our last few victories against the Aussies were 23-12, 24-12, 20-12 have also not been squeaky bum last minute ones. We are due a victory over them - history does point to that and there has been no win since 2006 which is a long time between drinks.

#51 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

England to lose, Sinfields fault.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#52 Jason86

Jason86
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

As much as some people on here moan about McNamara, the squad selections chosen on this thread show how hard a job he has. 7 teams selected, 7 different selections, and all with valid and reasonable inclusions/exclusions.

No matter what team he goes with he will get it wrong in 90% of people's opinions.

#53 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

That's my point, start with Sinfield at hooker. 6 and 7 need to be on the field at kick off and stay in those positions; continuity brings understanding and organisation to the party, something, which interchanging those KEY positions doesn't.

Don't disagree with Sinfield at hooker with Chase and Widdop in the halves. 

#54 Jason86

Jason86
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

As much as some people on here moan about McNamara, the squad selections chosen on this thread show how hard a job he has. 7 teams selected, 7 different selections, and all with valid and reasonable inclusions/exclusions.

No matter what team he goes with he will get it wrong in 90% of people's opinions.

He got his squad 100% wrong with all people on here (seems that way)
Where will McNamara go from here after he is sacked after the World Cup? Will any super league club want him or will he have to put up with a job on BBC??

#55 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,599 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Where will McNamara go from here after he is sacked after the World Cup? Will any super league club want him or will he have to put up with a job on BBC??

He'll join the armchair coaches on here.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#56 Jason86

Jason86
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Don't disagree with Sinfield at hooker with Chase and Widdop in the halves.

This must be a joke! England have so much talent at Hooker. Why would he play there? Our centres aren't up to much, maybe he should play there.

Edited by Jason86, 21 October 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#57 Jason86

Jason86
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

He'll join the armchair coaches on here.

I don't coach from my armchair! My computer chair is where the magic happens 😃

Edited by Jason86, 21 October 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nothing, nothing makes me as tense as an impending England/GB match against the Kangaroos, even if they aren't the Champions! :fie:

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#59 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Firstly I doubt he will be sacked - regardless of what people on here think of him his only competitive losses have been against NZ and Aus and last time we played NZ we beat them convincingly.  In the same tournament we lost to Aus by 16 points (conceding 12 in the last 7 minutes, and having a perfectly good try disallowed), and Aus again where we were equal on points until the 57th minute.

In 2011 we weren't far behind the Aussies at all, and much better than the kiwi's

Secondly, the processes and structure McNamara has implemented over the past 3 years are second to none.  Whilst team selection is always going to be controversial, you can't fault the preparation

If we don't win the tournament it's because we are not good enough.

#60 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Tomkins
Charnley
Hardaker
Watkins
Hall
Widdop
Chase / Burrow
Graham
Roby
G Burgess / Hill
Westwood
S Burgess
Sinfield

Burrow / Chase
Mossop
Hock
Hill / G Burgess

Josh and Zak are big buddies off the field and Watkins and Hall are clubmates and I feel it is important to have centre/wing combinations that know each other to get the best from them. I think it is also important to have genuine half-backs choosing between Chase and Burrow and either could be used to spell off Roby. I don't think O'Loughlin is fit enough yet to play the Aussies.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users