Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

26/10/13: World Cup Game 1 - Australia v England

Sat 26th Oct 2.30pm BBC1

• Please log in to reply
957 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (44 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (18 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. England by 1 to 6 points (22 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. England by 7 to 12 points (17 votes [15.45%])

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

7. England by 13 points or more (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#721 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Stats here: http://www.rlwc2013....atchreport/8655

It's time to park the camels.

#722 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Can't believe we're talking about forwards and haven't talked about Hill. I thought he layed a lot of the platform for what we did in the first twenty.

#723 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Can't believe we're talking about forwards and haven't talked about Hill. I thought he layed a lot of the platform for what we did in the first twenty.

He was awesome in his first spell and had a very good game above mossop in the pecking order between t burgess and mossop for the last bench spot I reckon

#724 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

just catching up, but absolutely stunned anybody would suggest dropping Westwood.
Now if it was Mossop(terrible), T.Burgess(dire), or G.Burgess(liability at times) I could get it.
Add Graham andO'loughlin and we'll be ok.

I would be absolutely stunned if any Wire fan suggested dropping any Wire player in any circumstances. :)
Not watched the game yet, but there are plenty of reasons to get behind this England side. We created enough chances to win the game, so the halves are doing something right, our forwards did make lots of mistakes but they looked from the sidelines to be more than holding their own generally.
I thought our 3/4 were superb, and hats off to the much maligned Cudjoe.
The forwards made far too many errors with ball in hand - including the widely praised S Burgess and Westwood, but that can be fixed up.
Lockers and Graham will make us stronger yet.
The key thing for the tournament was to show we can compete, and for us as a team to see for ourselves that we can do a job.
Not read the thread beyond the last couple of pages, but I thought the refereeing and touch judging in both games was massively in favour of the Australian teams.

#725 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

just back from an enjoyable experience,

Read some comments and smiled.

THURSTON IS THE BEST HALF BACK ON THE PLANET IN ANY CODE OR COUNTRY.

The aussies have more players that play at the intense level and that matters.

G Burgess is going to be a star.

Hill/Sam and G Burgess/Westwood will match any pack with O'loughlin and graham they will get better.

Chase is not the answer at the top level.

Sinfields strengths are kicking /control/goal kicks he did not reach the standard he sets today(I would think he would later)

Today is not when it matters most, there should be a semi against the Kiwi's and a final against the Aussies when it really matters.

PS Wigan fans Ben Westwood is playing for England so cheer him?

#726 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

George was immense, Tom not so much.

ha ha sorry guys, its been a long day and a lot of singa!

Agreed, George immense, Tom's inexperience showed, not a great debut, probably not he best game to throw him into

#727 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

ha ha sorry guys, its been a long day and a lot of singa!

Agreed, George immense, Tom's inexperience showed, not a great debut, probably not he best game to throw him into

Still thought Tom went ok obviously not at the same level as George with graham back you would think I reckon it will be between mossop and Tom for the 4th prop

#728 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

George actually wasnt immense. Giving penalties and slipping off tackles in key positions was poor for hin. He did nore than enough good stuff to keep his place, but inly just.

#729 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

Dave T
Did you watch the game.

#730 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I would be absolutely stunned if any Wire fan suggested dropping any Wire player in any circumstances. :)
Not watched the game yet, but there are plenty of reasons to get behind this England side. We created enough chances to win the game, so the halves are doing something right, our forwards did make lots of mistakes but they looked from the sidelines to be more than holding their own generally.
I thought our 3/4 were superb, and hats off to the much maligned Cudjoe.
The forwards made far too many errors with ball in hand - including the widely praised S Burgess and Westwood, but that can be fixed up.
Lockers and Graham will make us stronger yet.
The key thing for the tournament was to show we can compete, and for us as a team to see for ourselves that we can do a job.
Not read the thread beyond the last couple of pages, but I thought the refereeing and touch judging in both games was massively in favour of the Australian teams.

EW I can hand on heart say Ill cheet an England 17 with no Wires on.

Im just giving my opinion. Id have had Mossop starting - but he was way off. I was made up with Hill - he made the Aussies look like standard SL players.

Sam Burgess needs a slap.

The reality is we all had high hopes of these Burgess supwrstars, but imo they were some of the weakest players on the pitch.

#731 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

George actually wasnt immense. Giving penalties and slipping off tackles in key positions was poor for hin. He did nore than enough good stuff to keep his place, but inly just.

Can't remember George giving penalties away and thought he was fine defensively strong and aggressive, as for ball in hand his go forward was very good and along with Sam and hill had top games

Edited by TheBinman, 26 October 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#732 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Dave T
Did you watch the game.

yes. i was there.

George Burgess was good close to the line.

Tom Burgess was out of his depth.

Sam Burgess sauntered into almost every tackle. He doesnt do that in the NRL.

What else do you disagree with me on?

#733 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,324 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

Can't remember George giving penalties away and thought he was fine defensively strong and aggressive, as for ball in hand his go forward was very good and along with Sam and hill had top games

Ill post the details tomorrow. For on of their tries he was involved in a penalty and a sloppy tackle.

#734 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

yes. i was there.

George Burgess was good close to the line.

Tom Burgess was out of his depth.

Sam Burgess sauntered into almost every tackle. He doesnt do that in the NRL.

What else do you disagree with me on?

Tom was out of his depth you are correct.

George made some valuable runs from outside his own 20m. He was always willing to take the ball out. If you watch it back, a particular incident where England made 7m in 3 tackles and then George Burgess took the ball up and made 13m with a quick PTB and Jonathan Davies mentioned it.

Sam Burgess' run pretty much set up his brothers try. Due to running it in so hard and leaving 2 Aus defenders on the floor.

Hill was the best prop on the field for the first 20 minutes along with George Burgess. They were both classes above Australias props. Like people say how much better Thurston is than our halves, them two were like that much difference in class. They're the reason Aus just couldn't get on top.

Sam Burgess was average but poor for his standard.

Mossop was poor I agree.

Westwood was a liability at times, but is classes ahead of Ferres (who was solid today though) Ablett (shocking) and Farrell (too small)

Graham and O Loughlin may be the key to beating Aus. With also moving Widdop to starting at 6.

#735 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Physically, immense!

#736 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

EW I can hand on heart say Ill cheet an England 17 with no Wires on.

Im just giving my opinion. Id have had Mossop starting - but he was way off. I was made up with Hill - he made the Aussies look like standard SL players.

Sam Burgess needs a slap.

The reality is we all had high hopes of these Burgess supwrstars, but imo they were some of the weakest players on the pitch.

Sam and George pulled off a try saving tackle each that i don't think anyone else in the team would have made, without them the damage would have been a lot worse

• CGD likes this

#737 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

We caught Australia a little bit cold today ( like we were last week)
Slater, Cronk, Smith, Thurston and Inglis will be a little bit better from now on.
And add to that that any Australian official will ALWAYS give 50/50 decisions to Australia and English officials will NEVER give 50/50 decisions to England.
Watch out for Australia "B" ( Italy) they may be the 3rd best team in the competition.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#738 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

We caught Australia a little bit cold today ( like we were last week)
Slater, Cronk, Smith, Thurston and Inglis will be a little bit better from now on.
And add to that that any Australian official will ALWAYS give 50/50 decisions to Australia and English officials will NEVER give 50/50 decisions to England.
Watch out for Australia "B" ( Italy) they may be the 3rd best team in the competition.

There wasn't an Aussie official on the pitch I don't think but that Kiwi ref was poor in 2011 too and I knew he would give us a hard time with poor decisions the minute he was given the job.  Since when was that pass for the Tomkins would have been try under the posts forward for example?  Never in the history of man, that's when!  And there were others too.  I wanted to pummel him back to New Zealand by the end of the match!

#739 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

i look forward to watching it back, but the Burgess boys never sppear to sprint onto the ball in their own half.
Id rather have the grafters than the glory hunters, but thays just me.

George was excellent in his first stint maybe not so later on. Tom was a reverse looked out of his depth early on but grew into the game still think graham will replace him. Thought Sam was good its just we expect so much more from him its hard for him to live up to it. Westwood showed he's international class again apart from a few minutes after he split his head open when he seemed to have a brain fart. Hill was for me the best forward on the pitch and I thought Ferres certainly didn't let any one down. Mossop was a bit anonymous but I don't think he had much game time to be fair to him. Roby had his usual work rate was a bit surprised he spent so long off the pitch. Backs wise I thought Tomkins was quiet but he was obviously a target for the Aussies. Charnley and Hall held their own and I thought our centres played above expectations defensively as they were the main worry before the game. Sinfield played his role well but the expected spark didn't come from Chase. Thought Widdop showed more in the short time he was on than chase did all game.

#740 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

There wasn't an Aussie official on the pitch I don't think but that Kiwi ref was poor in 2011 too and I knew he would give us a hard time with poor decisions the minute he was given the job.  Since when was that pass for the Tomkins would have been try under the posts forward for example?  Never in the history of man, that's when!  And there were others too.  I wanted to pummel him back to New Zealand by the end of the match!

The touchie that gave the Kiwi ref the nod for the forward pass to Tomkins was an Aussie.

And he was entirely correct, it was a good distance forward. My beef was that Thurston was involved in giving or receiving two or three similar passes but wasn't pulled up once.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users