TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

26/10/13: World Cup Game 1 - Australia v England

Sat 26th Oct 2.30pm BBC1

• Please log in to reply
957 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (44 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (18 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. England by 1 to 6 points (22 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. England by 7 to 12 points (17 votes [15.45%])

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

7. England by 13 points or more (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#741 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

England played well but were very undisciplined and the completion rate was poor.

Westwood, Ablett and Chase are not Test players.

Australia looked beatable but were rusty after a long break for many of their players and by their standards it was an average game, they will improve as the weeks go and will be firing on all cylinders come the Final.

#742 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

WAS Chase playing ??????????? ha ha ha

Posted Image

#743 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

The touchie that gave the Kiwi ref the nod for the forward pass to Tomkins was an Aussie.

And he was entirely correct, it was a good distance forward. My beef was that Thurston was involved in giving or receiving two or three similar passes but wasn't pulled up once.

That touchie is a YONNER .................from Oldham for the ignoramus. . . . Not an Aussie

Just too many penalties given away back to back some of them that cost England a try

Posted Image

#744 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

great performance by england imo...

even with a weakened team we know the aussies can be beaten if we cut out the silly penalties and up the concentration level...

we have a couple of games not to iron out a few problems...

firstly id give widdop a couple of games @ 6 alongside chase @ 7 ,move sinfield to 9 and inject roby from the bench....see how it goes..

just a point about kevs goal kicking against australia,anyone know his percentage against oz down the years? im guessing its well down on his SL percentage?

Edited by roughyedspud, 27 October 2013 - 06:11 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#745 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:07 AM

great performance by england imo...

even with a weakened team we know the aussies can be beaten if we cut out the silly penalties and up the concentration level...

we have a couple of games not to iron out a few problems...

firstly id give widdop a couple of games @ 6 alongside chase @ 7 ,move sinfield to 9 and inject roby from the bench....see how it goes..

just a point about kevs goal kicking against australia,any know his percentage against oz down the years? im guessing its well down on his SL percentage?

Not sure how many shots at goal he has had to work out an average but he has kicked nine Goals from seven games for England against Australia which seems low.

#746 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

yep...9/15 since 2009....so 60% while he kicks up near 90% for leeds and in 2 games against NZ in 2009 & 2011 he's kicked 100%...4/4 & 6/6....

interesting

Edited by roughyedspud, 27 October 2013 - 06:43 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#747 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

Must be nerves, or maybe the kicks are all from the sidelines.

#748 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

That touchie is a YONNER .................from Oldham for the ignoramus. . . . Not an Aussie

I presume you're talking about Robert Hicks, who gave the Charnley foot in touch decision?

I was actually talking about Grant Atkins, the Australian touch judge who, according to Dave Woods' commentary, was the one who gave the forward pass to Tomkins, yet failed to see another one all game.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#749 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

with hindsight maybe I was slightly harsh on the Burgess boys but I think I was frustrated as they are meant to be these superstars from the NRL. The reality is we had better players than them all over the park.

Tom Burgess was out of his depth, im sticking to that one, but if Graham was 'fit' hed be in anyway.

George was excellent in the first 20 - our starting pack was brilliant as a unit. When he came back on he was less effective and a few times he either lacked concentration or wasnt up with play.

Sam did good stuff but also did plenty of average stuff. I want to see more dynamic runs whereas he wants to shimmy and saunter. That wasnt the Sam Burgess from the NRL.

On the halves I notice that they are getting a bit of stick again but I thought the link play was very good and they take a lot of credit for that.

I thought most players were 8/10, a couple of 9's and a couple of 6/7's (Mossop and Burgess's).

Pretty good start and we can get better.

#750 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

I'm not sure which game you watched but I can definitely remember g burgess making plenty of yards from within our own 20 quite a few times, as well as s burgess. Westwood was a liability in the tackle, but excellent with ball.

how many penalties did Westwood concede? I only remember the one but I was a distance away from the pitch.

#751 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

just about to watch the game again on the iplayer...i'll try and count who gave away the penalties.

OLDHAM RLFC

#752 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

with hindsight maybe I was slightly harsh on the Burgess boys but I think I was frustrated as they are meant to be these superstars from the NRL. The reality is we had better players than them all over the park.
Tom Burgess was out of his depth, im sticking to that one, but if Graham was 'fit' hed be in anyway.
George was excellent in the first 20 - our starting pack was brilliant as a unit. When he came back on he was less effective and a few times he either lacked concentration or wasnt up with play.
Sam did good stuff but also did plenty of average stuff. I want to see more dynamic runs whereas he wants to shimmy and saunter. That wasnt the Sam Burgess from the NRL.
On the halves I notice that they are getting a bit of stick again but I thought the link play was very good and they take a lot of credit for that.
I thought most players were 8/10, a couple of 9's and a couple of 6/7's (Mossop and Burgess's).
Pretty good start and we can get better.

Sam plays a very different style of game at 13 form 8. I've noticed this all season at Souths. Like you Dave I much prefer him at prop, I think you get more from him, although for a shorter spell.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#753 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

how many penalties did Westwood concede? I only remember the one but I was a distance away from the pitch.

I'm not sure of the number, its more when he gives them that annoys me. One of which was very stupid when we had them deep in there own half and under pressure. I love him in the team for the positives he brings though, just wish he would cut out the brain farts.

#754 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

Sam plays a very different style of game at 13 form 8. I've noticed this all season at Souths. Like you Dave I much prefer him at prop, I think you get more from him, although for a shorter spell.

hopefully with Lockers at 13 and Graham in the squad we will be less reliant on Burgess.

#755 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:41 AM

I'm not sure of the number, its more when he gives them that annoys me. One of which was very stupid when we had them deep in there own half and under pressure. I love him in the team for the positives he brings though, just wish he would cut out the brain farts.

I dont disagree mate.

Its clear Im a massive fan of Westwood, he plays the game on the edge and sometimes that hoes wrong. Im ok with that as I want the opposition to be uncomfortable running at him. What he does do well is 35 tackles where he hurts the opponent and dominates the ruck. I can live with 1 or 2 penalties a game for the quality he brings, but I do get as frustrated as anybody at times.

#756 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

Westwood is credited with 2 penalties. A lot of posters here were going off at him during the game though. The penalties he did give away were really bone-headed.

I've just gotten home and had a quick look at the Charnley in touch incident. On 7mate in Australia, only one angle was replayed to us, which was the one we saw live. There was a split second of seeing an aerial view of the incident that 7mate didn't get to us early enough to provide any evidence one way or another. I've taken a couple of pics of the TV and my opinion hasn't changed from last night. His right heel touches the line.

This first pic is of when his right foot first flattens on the ground, before touching the line...

2dtyd83.jpg

This second pic clearly shows that, at the least, his heel has slid to touch the sideline...

nwwver.jpg

Now, unless the aerial view shows something significantly different to this, I don't see how anyone can have a strong opinion that the call was incorrect.

#757 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Westwood is credited with 2 penalties. A lot of posters here were going off at him during the game though. The penalties he did give away were really bone-headed.

I've just gotten home and had a quick look at the Charnley in touch incident. On 7mate in Australia, only one angle was replayed to us, which was the one we saw live. There was a split second of seeing an aerial view of the incident that 7mate didn't get to us early enough to provide any evidence one way or another. I've taken a couple of pics of the TV and my opinion hasn't changed from last night. His right heel touches the line.

This first pic is of when his right foot first flattens on the ground, before touching the line...

2dtyd83.jpg

This second pic clearly shows that, at the least, his heel has slid to touch the sideline...

nwwver.jpg

Now, unless the aerial view shows something significantly different to this, I don't see how anyone can have a strong opinion that the call was incorrect.

Thank the Lord you didn't show the one with the bloody parrot.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#758 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

Out of Westwoods two penalties one was for a high shot.

#759 agrashion

agrashion
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

The problem watching in Cardiff seemed to be a lack of creativity from our playmakers. Chase - lacking quality at this level - ran laterally a lot. On the plus side he made some great tackles. We played too much as forwards and  backs rather than having a good link and follow-up between them. I'm afraid that has to be down to the coach. These are some great players and Australia didn't look unbeatable. In the second half our tackling fell off and they made good metres before being stopped. That was the difference in the end.

#760 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

I presume you're talking about Robert Hicks, who gave the Charnley foot in touch decision?

I was actually talking about Grant Atkins, the Australian touch judge who, according to Dave Woods' commentary, was the one who gave the forward pass to Tomkins, yet failed to see another one all game.

It was a forward pass but it was the sort you see in most games go un called. There were plenty more similar passes that went un called yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users