Photo
- - - - -

26/10/13: World Cup Game 1 - Australia v England

Sat 26th Oct 2.30pm BBC1

• Please log in to reply
957 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (44 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (18 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. England by 1 to 6 points (22 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. England by 7 to 12 points (17 votes [15.45%])

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

7. England by 13 points or more (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#761 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

James graham, Sean o'loughlin and rob burrow in and rangi chase, tom burgess and Carl ablett out, with widdop starting at 6. I'd also give Tom briscoe a run against Ireland, on a side note how long before Chris hill is playing in the NRL? I thought he was awesome yesterday with his runs and off-loads.

#762 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

Sadly England were outclassed by a not particularily vintage Kangaroos side. Would like to be optimistic but am a Rugby realist -Australia v New Zealand final .

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#763 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

Sadly England were outclassed by a not particularily vintage Kangaroos side. Would like to be optimistic but am a Rugby realist -Australia v New Zealand final .

The Australian side had lots of rust on them, they always looked like they would improve as the game went on.

#764 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

James graham, Sean o'loughlin and rob burrow in and rangi chase, tom burgess and Carl ablett out, with widdop starting at 6. I'd also give Tom briscoe a run against Ireland, on a side note how long before Chris hill is playing in the NRL? I thought he was awesome yesterday with his runs and off-loads.

Tom Burgess should be no where near the team at this stage in his Career, he is barely a first grader.

Not sure it Burrow will help the cause much. what he does in Super League will not work against the better Test teams IMO.

Maybe the ball did not get wide much but Watkins looked like the weaker centre for England, Cudjoe did pretty well.

The Pitch last night was rubbish, there were divots all over the place where it was so soft and the players boots were tearing it up as they lost their footing.

Why bother closing the roof when the pitch is already ordinary.

#765 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

The Australian side had lots of rust on them, they always looked like they would improve as the game went on.

Which was why they scored last and were much further ahead at the end as they were at half time (after the NRL forward pass "spot"), despite the other TJ gifting them a try? Is maths on the syllabus Down Under?

#766 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,333 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

A team containing Jonathan Thurston, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater is not particularly vintage? Being realistic, I would say they are.

#767 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I agree, but thought England finished the game marginally stronger.

#768 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

Tom Burgess should be no where near the team at this stage in his Career, he is barely a first grader.
Not sure it Burrow will help the cause much. what he does in Super League will not work against the better Test teams IMO.
Maybe the ball did not get wide much but Watkins looked like the weaker centre for England, Cudjoe did pretty well.

The Pitch last night was rubbish, there were divots all over the place where it was so soft and the players boots were tearing it up as they lost their footing.

Why bother closing the roof when the pitch is already ordinary.

Agree with you on the pitch it was awful and really hindered any free flowing rugby, although I must admit I loved the forward battle and all the big hits. As for burrow he can't do any worse than chase and i would have loved to have seen him run at the big Aussie pack as it tired. Watkins and cudjoe were solid in attack(even though they saw little of the ball) and fantastic in defence, can't ask for anymore than that. As for Tom burgess he is out of his depth at this level at this stage of his career but that's mcnamara's fault.

#769 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 499 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:33 AM

The players did well yesterday, but imagine what we could do with a fully unified team with players picked on form. Like other first games of tournaments that we've played the ozzies we should of beat them, it's the coach that has let us down. I just hope it's not a fatal error.
waddell

#770 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

i would'nt say winning by 8 points ranks as outclassing the other team..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#771 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

Which was why they scored last and were much further ahead at the end as they were at half time (after the NRL forward pass "spot"), despite the other TJ gifting them a try? Is maths on the syllabus Down Under?

I can not comprehend what you have posted so maybe you are right.

How did a Touch Judge gift them a Try?

Australia were 10-0 down after 20 minutes and went on to win the game was my point.

You obviously understand the game better than me.

#772 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

They weren't outclassed at all, were they? That's nonsense. Bring back Lockers and Graham, and the Aussies are an injury to Thurston away from being eminently beatable.
When did New Zealand last give us cause for sleepless nights over here?

#773 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

I can not comprehend what you have posted so maybe you are right.
How did a Touch Judge gift them a Try?
Australia were 10-0 down after 20 minutes and went on to win the game was my point.
You obviously understand the game better than me.

That's true, but I'm not going to rub your face in it.
Deep breath - if your point was that Australia were bound to improve after a slow start, that is demonstrably so. That improvement wasn't sustained though, was it, as they didn't pull away, even though they were gifted a try.
The point about the TJ was of course that we should have been playing the ball while the Australians were scoring a try from an incorrectly awarded scrum. I suspect you were being obtuse.

#774 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,699 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:43 AM

Not outclassed at all. 5 tries to 4 iirc plus a disallowed try for Burgess and a close call forward pass.
We got nothing from the ref.

Also we will get better too.

Optimistic after yesterday which is what I wanted if we werent to win.

#775 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

I didn't think England were at all outclassed, except in the handling and giving away penalty departments which, along with a mythical forward pass for a try waiting Tomkins' name to be written on it were the only differences between us.

The Aussies are simply human beings, not the mythical gods they are often portrayed as being.  We didn't show them the respect we have done in the past and that is a good thing.  But the players are right to feel frustrated because they were toe to toe with them and within a breath of winning the game but they gave away stupid penalties and dropped the ball too much.  There is no excuse for either at this level of the game.

Hopefully we will get a second chance but I don't like the look of New Zealand!

#776 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Sinfield was always going to be the scapegoat for some on here. He actually was better than his opposite number.

This is your zenith.

Never, in the history of RL has there ben a more one-eyed point of view. 

If you seriously think he was better than either of the Australian half backs, you need help.

#777 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

FFS can people stop banging on about the forward pass to Tomkins - it was the correct decision
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#778 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

We do need to keep focused because we did cough up the ball with avoidable errors, even though it was a tense game. The Aussies, although not the greatest side to visit these shores, are clinical when it matters. There's no excuse for playing the ball badly, especially near the opposition line. Overall, still a decent effort given the turmoil of events during the week. Whether we up our game is open to debate. 

One thing for sure, 'dodgy' decisions will never go away and should never be made an excuse. It's part and parcel of any sport. 

#779 dibbley

dibbley
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

For a long time we've had the capability to beat Australia, and the difference apart from the officiating, is always being unable to handle the mental side of things, with focus and composure under extreme pressure.  At this level against them, penalties kill you, errors kill you, switching off for a split second kills you.  They're schooled in intensity and we're not, simple as.

Top teams in Super League can give penalties away and get away with it, they can't do that at this level, and it can't be acceptable if we want to win.   Someone above said they could live with Westwood giving away 1 or 2 penalties because of what else he brings.  That's a problem for me, and with that attitude we'll never get the better of them when it matters.  He was lucky not to give another penalty away for getting involved with his fists, if that would have escalated he would have been pinged for it, for throwing first. 

I don't mean to single Westwood out, but no other player had me screaming at the TV like he did.  His penalties were blockhead and unecessary, and he must be insane because he does it alot.  That's what worries me, not just him, others too.  They'll get back in the sheds, they'll have the coach make it clear what they need fixing up, they'll know themselves, but they never learn, they'll go out and do the same thing again.  They can't handle pressure, very few of our lads can, maybe two or three and that's it.  That's what frustrates because out of 17 that take the field there is always plenty of scope for that lapse that kills the moment, and makes it so much easier for them.

Another thing that helps them, and it has been going on so long now it's just a joke, is the officiating.  It has always favoured them.  How many stoppages occured during that 2nd half!?? Allowing them and us to have a breather, but who benefits, the team that has some match fitness having played last week, or the team that for the most part hasn't played for nearly two months!

Add that to our habitual self destruction, and it allows them to look so much better, and literally gifts them the upper hand. All things being equal on an even playing field, that definitely would not be the case.

It's a crying shame we don't have the competition they do over there, and the Origin, not because it's better, but because it is more intense.  Physically, and skillfully, we're not inferiror. Of course you can drill down to positions and make cases for who is better than who, but on the whole for what we have, if we had the same mental toughness we'd have knocked them off their perch a long time ago.  They make mistakes too, lots of them at times when we can rattle them, the problem is we can't keep it up, and they'll often benefit from 50/50 calls, or we'll allow them back into it with unforced errors, and penalties. Just like yesterday after 20mins.

As far as our game goes, we should improve with more game time, but so will they, and so will NZ, the one thing that will not improve is the natural instinct to make the right decision under pressure, it's in their DNA, and we don't have the domestic competition that affords us the same benefits sadly.

• CGD likes this

#780 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

That's true, but I'm not going to rub your face in it.
Deep breath - if your point was that Australia were bound to improve after a slow start, that is demonstrably so. That improvement wasn't sustained though, was it, as they didn't pull away, even though they were gifted a try.
The point about the TJ was of course that we should have been playing the ball while the Australians were scoring a try from an incorrectly awarded scrum. I suspect you were being obtuse.

I still do not get it?

What are you talking about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users