Photo
- - - - -

26/10/13: World Cup Game 1 - Australia v England

Sat 26th Oct 2.30pm BBC1

• Please log in to reply
957 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (44 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (18 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. England by 1 to 6 points (22 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. England by 7 to 12 points (17 votes [15.45%])

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

7. England by 13 points or more (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Is the opening ceromeny not been shown then?

#62 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Would like to know as I already said BBC coverage starts at 2 but the OC starts at 1:30 doesn't it?

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#63 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

From the TV schedule times, no, but I'd expect them to show a few highlights in between interviews during the build-up.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#64 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Premier Sports coverage starts at 1.30pm, whereas the BBC give only 30 mins build up. Disappointing as team news and National Anthems will take over half of that.

#65 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm not sure of my exact 17 for Australia, and am not that fussed based on our squad. I think it's a great squad and until injuries hit, I think we'll put out a very strong 17 no matter what. If I had some "musts", it would be for Slater, Inglis, Hayne and Jennings to be in the backline, leaving the remaining wing to whoever. Also for Fifita to play, but I think Sheens will do all this anyway.

When Shenton went off back in 2009 England collapsed not so much because of the loss of  Shentons skills but the re shuffle made the team a basketcase and open to Australia's attack.

You need a versatile Bench player that can cover the backs for injuries or a player like Luke Lewis or Bird that is comfortable in the Forwards or backs.

Picking a Bench player only for one role could be a disaster.

Actually, the flood gates had opened before Shenton got injured. Two tries were conceded down his side in the space of about 7 minutes or something like that before he went off, and that simply continued without him there. Something some people also forget is that the Kangaroos also lost a centre in Hodges that game. Kidley slotted in seamlessly, which backs your second point.

And the English need to forget about 2011. Every nation is putting out different teams, with players in different form, 2 years later. Trying to grasp onto "positives" from a 30-8 loss back then is completely irrelevant.

#66 Optimus

Optimus
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Tomkins
Charnley
Hardaker
Watkins
Hall
Widdop
Chase / Burrow
Graham
Roby
G Burgess / Hill
Westwood
S Burgess
Sinfield

Burrow / Chase
Mossop
Hock
Hill / G Burgess

Josh and Zak are big buddies off the field and Watkins and Hall are clubmates and I feel it is important to have centre/wing combinations that know each other to get the best from them. I think it is also important to have genuine half-backs choosing between Chase and Burrow and either could be used to spell off Roby. I don't think O'Loughlin is fit enough yet to play the Aussies.

I like this team except I'd opt for Burrow over Chase.

I'd start Hill and bring on Gurgess as an impact player. I'd also put Ablett on the bench as utility cover for 3/4's and second row. 3 impact forwards on the bench and a utility. Sinfield and Burrow can cover dummy half if Roby needed a rest or got injured.

"Rugby league is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by w@nk*rs"
Laurie Dailey

#67 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

I like this team except I'd opt for Burrow over Chase.

I'd start Hill and bring on Gurgess as an impact player. I'd also put Ablett on the bench as utility cover for 3/4's and second row. 3 impact forwards on the bench and a utility. Sinfield and Burrow can cover dummy half if Roby needed a rest or got injured.

As a fellow ventriloquist's dummy, I suggest a drinking game - one gottle of geer every time a Gurgess takes to the field. :P 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#68 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Come on England!
We're a worse team than they are, however we try to shuffle what we've got. If we can find a way to defend in the centres we can keep this respectable.
My hope is that, even if we lose we get close enough to them to give us sufficient hope to sustain us till the semis by which time the final will have been long sold out.
Tbh, I am much less concerned about an ultimate England victory than about the success of the tournament itself. If you gave me a choice I would go with the latter, as that could transform our game forever - let's be credible, generate money for a proper International Federation and attract some sponsors.
Please god (candles lit) we exorcise the ghost of Melbourne...

#69 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

When Shenton went off back in 2009 England collapsed not so much because of the loss of  Shentons skills but the re shuffle made the team a basketcase and open to Australia's attack.
You need a versatile Bench player that can cover the backs for injuries or a player like Luke Lewis or Bird that is comfortable in the Forwards or backs.
Picking a Bench player only for one role could be a disaster.

I note that you state we cannot afford Ablett as that signifies to the opposition that we are merely playing a defensive role with such a selection. Conversely you relate to Shenton leaving the field in 2009 and the defensive structure going to pieces and on that you are very correct, but what is the point of having a poor defender (Cudjoe) who has already been taken to the cleaners- twice in one game- by Luke Lewis and has consistently proven naive in his defensive role when faced with stong opposition, which in the case of any centre or second row that OZ will select will be the case.

Hardacre has some pace and tackles with a better attitude and force than does Cudjoe, who admittedly can do well at times with the ball in hand, but unfortunately V OZ we require our centre's to be good defenders primarily and in Cudjoe's case that is apparently not so.

Ablett I think should get a subs place if only for the fact that he can effectively cover for the backs and in the pack and, if players are to chosen on their most recent form, then again Ablett should surely get consideration over most.

Tomkins

Charnley
Watkins
Hardacre
Hall

Widdop
Sinfield

Graham
Roby
Hill
Westwood
Burgess (S)
O'Loughlin

Burgess (G)
Burgess (T)
Burrow
Ablett

I reluctantly leave out McIlorum as with Burrow and Sinfield out there, there will be enough cover for the hooking role and I think Ablett offers better with his ability to cover for both the Backs and the forwards.

I have previously given my reasons for the Burgess's all three and their inclusion also that applies with Graham and Widdop too. I shudder at the thought of Cudjoe V the Aussies and hope he is not selected, which I am sure will prove a very weak link for us if he is.

#70 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Would like to know as I already said BBC coverage starts at 2 but the OC starts at 1:30 doesn't it?

Yeh it does I'm sure I heard before that it was on the red button the opening ceromeny but not to sure that why I asked, it should be on its things like this that annoy me because this World Cup shaping up to be really good but things like this should be better.

#71 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'd go for:

Sam Tomkins
Josh Charnley
Kallum Watkins
Leroy Cudjoe
Ryan Hall
Gareth Widdop
Kevin Sinfield
James Graham
Michael Mcillorum
George Burgess
Ben Westwood
Sam Burgess
Sean O Loughlin

Rob Burrow
Tom Burgess
Lee Mossop
Gareth Hock

Sinfield captain so he's got to be in there. Hopefully his slow distribution at first man doesn't hold the team up to much. I'd rather have him in than Chase though because at least he provides some direction and construction to our play. Playing off the cuff will lead to silly errors, and being beaten by Aussie pressure built up over time. We need to give the ball to Widdop as much as possible when we are in the oppositions half. Let Sinfield direct the team and kick us out of trouble but when it comes to the opposition's half the main man should be Widdop unless we are looking to put a 5th tackle kick.

James Roby hasn't particularly done much all season due to injuries and I don't think he has justified his place. Then again I said the same thing about Mcillorum. (We have left our best two Hookers out the squad) At least one thing Mcillorum will do is get in their faces. At the start of the game every tackle has to be a big hit. Get the shoulder right in try and dislodge the ball with the impact at every opportunity. Mcillorum will be much better for this. I'm hoping Westwood, S Burgess ect really get under the Aussies skin early on and try and dominate the Aussie pack. We don't just want to tackle them, we need to aim to either send them back 5m or dislodge the ball via impact in every tackle especially in the first 10 minutes.

The back line picks itself in my opinion based on form all season. Briscoe shouldn't be in the squad. Hardaker is not a centre but instead an outstanding back up full back. If Ablett is picked at left centre we may as well stick Ben Westwood on the wing. Tomkins is without a doubt our biggest threat.

The bench has impact written all over it. Burrow needs to scoot as much as possible. Win cheap penalties and easy metres. Tom Burgess against a tiring Aussie pack will make good metres and give George a rest. Hock with his head screwed on and not spitting his dummy out is arguably the best back rower in the world. If we get him focused and doing a job for the team he is unplayable. Mossop is just on the bench as a rotation prop to give other players a rest but most certainly will do a job.

Come on England.

#72 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

2 x scarfs have arrived in the post - look out for the two idiots (the girlfriend and I) twirling these around are heads on the front row of U10. C'mon England!!! :D

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#73 Yorkie44

Yorkie44
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

In L6 near bottom though, hoping one of Aussies gets smashed into touch near us, hopefully by Cudjoe, prove his worth ;)

#74 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

England by 2, converting a try scored in the corner in the last 30 secs! No worries
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#75 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

England by 2, converting a try scored in the corner in the last 30 secs! No worries

/heartattack

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#76 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Tomkins
Charnley
Hardaker
Watkins
Hall
Widdop
Chase
Graham. ( subs BURROW , G BURGESS , ABLETT , T BURGESS )
Roby
Hill
Westwood
Hock
S Burgess.

I like big Sam playing a key role at 13 for some reason . Key positions down the spine and you want your key weapons there , always in the game . But in reality whatever team out of the 24 we pick in whatever combo we are absolutely nowhere near good enough .
I also think Jack Reed is a massive loss that really hurt us . I'm not sure a lot of people realise how important a player he was . I think big Eorl should be in there to , and Kirmond , but heh ho , it is what it is.

Edited by DavidM, 21 October 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#77 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,012 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Tomkins
Charnley
Hardaker
Watkins
Hall
Widdop
Chase
Graham. ( subs BURROW , G BURGESS , ABLETT , T BURGESS )
Roby
Hill
Westwood
Hock
S Burgess.

I like big Sam playing a key role at 13 for some reason . Key positions down the spine and you want your key weapons there , always in the game . But in reality whatever team out of the 24 we pick in whatever combo we are absolutely nowhere near good enough .
I also think Jack Reed is a massive loss that really hurt us . I'm not sure a lot of people realise how important a player he was . I think big Eorl should be in there to , and Kirmond , but heh ho , it is what it is.

You are forgetting though that McNamara has already named Sinfield as Captain and therefore he will be in the 13. I would rather he was at 13 than in the halfbacks or hooker.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#78 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Yes although I do try , but willpower alone won't do it ! Your right on the positional side . I must try to think like him ... Doing that then Sinfield at 13 and big Sam at 12 . The trouble with Captain Sinfield is that when you break it down positionally , in every spot there's always someone better than him , that's the problem the coach has made for himself !!

Edited by DavidM, 21 October 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#79 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

I really hope England and Wales both win.

#80 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

I really hope England and Wales both win.

So do I!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users