Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

26/10/13: World Cup Game 1 - Australia v England

Sat 26th Oct 2.30pm BBC1

• Please log in to reply
957 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Australia by 13 points or more (44 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Australia by 7 to 12 points (18 votes [16.36%])

Percentage of vote: 16.36%

3. Australia by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [2.73%])

Percentage of vote: 2.73%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. England by 1 to 6 points (22 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. England by 7 to 12 points (17 votes [15.45%])

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

7. England by 13 points or more (6 votes [5.45%])

Percentage of vote: 5.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#781 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

From an Australian, I thought both Cronk and Thurston were quite off top form. Thurston warmed into it more than Cronk, but they both have massive improvement in them. Cronk had some absolute clanger moments.

#782 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:01 AM

I like how people are saying the Aussies were rusty well England were too. One 20 aside game against Italy doesn't mean anything
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#783 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

I like how people are saying the Aussies were rusty well England were too. One 20 aside game against Italy doesn't mean anything

England will have plenty of time to spray some wd40 on against Fiji, Ireland and NZ.

Edited by boxhead, 27 October 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#784 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

great performance by england imo...

even with a weakened team we know the aussies can be beaten if we cut out the silly penalties and up the concentration level...

we have a couple of games not to iron out a few problems...

firstly id give widdop a couple of games @ 6 alongside chase @ 7 ,move sinfield to 9 and inject roby from the bench....see how it goes..

just a point about kevs goal kicking against australia,anyone know his percentage against oz down the years? im guessing its well down on his SL percentage?

I can't believe you would consider moving Roby aside just to accommodate Sinfield.

Roby was one of our best performers, Sinfield was his usual self. In our haste to get our average captain on the pitch, we are considering taking out some of our best players. That's just crazy.

To be honest, I think we should look at it the other way round. Get Sinfield off the pitch altogether, and start Roby at Half. At least Roby knows where the defensive line is, and is not afraid to run at it. We need a half that commits defenders, and doesn't just play the game from 5 metres back. The Australians can just stand back and watch him from there, knowing he can't do them any harm.

#785 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

there wasn't much in it, the lockyers and kimmorleys that have terrorised us for so long are gone, think burrow could have done a job from the bench 2nd half, just got to get past nz and we can win this

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#786 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

I can't believe you would consider moving Roby aside just to accommodate Sinfield.

Roby was one of our best performers, Sinfield was his usual self. In our haste to get our average captain on the pitch, we are considering taking out some of our best players. That's just crazy.

To be honest, I think we should look at it the other way round. Get Sinfield off the pitch altogether, and start Roby at Half. At least Roby knows where the defensive line is, and is not afraid to run at it. We need a half that commits defenders, and doesn't just play the game from 5 metres back. The Australians can just stand back and watch him from there, knowing he can't do them any harm.

england have always looked better when sinfield has played hooker...he even packed down at hooker yesterday..

its just a option we should try that all im saying

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#787 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

there wasn't much in it, the lockyers and kimmorleys that have terrorised us for so long are gone, think burrow could have done a job from the bench 2nd half, just got to get past nz and we can win this

Totally agree get rob burrow running at those big Aussie forwards as they begin to tire, although the pitch yesterday wouldn't have done burrow any favours. Chase out burrow in and start widdop at 6.

#788 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

England will have plenty of time to spray some wd40 on against Fiji, Ireland and NZ.

no sugar Sherlock
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

#789 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

England should be wary of Fiji; they have a very good team ...

#790 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

absolutely and will do England a lot of good as well. Personally I hope we don't experiment with the side too much against the lesser 'sides' - rather have a battle hardened team then endlessly tinkering for the non existent 'perfect' side

#791 jimmyv007

jimmyv007
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

wow what a game! we can defo beat these aussies. for me bring in graham and o lochlin for burgess and westwood. (depending on performances in the next 2 games) also i think bringing on widdop for the last 20 is pointless as he is not an impact player so we should go with burrow instead.

there is no pleasing some people on here! they said we would get spanked and when we dont its because the aussies have not warmed up yet and we will get spanked next time!

#792 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

australia should worry about fiji too....chances are australia are gonna change their side,fiji might catch them cold..

OLDHAM RLFC

#793 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

wow what a game! we can defo beat these aussies. for me bring in graham and o lochlin for burgess and westwood. (depending on performances in the next 2 games) also i think bringing on widdop for the last 20 is pointless as he is not an impact player so we should go with burrow instead.
there is no pleasing some people on here! they said we would get spanked and when we dont its because the aussies have not warmed up yet and we will get spanked next time!

Which burgess? Agree with you about burrow, impact player from the bench and widdop starting at 6.

#794 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,701 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

For a long time we've had the capability to beat Australia, and the difference apart from the officiating, is always being unable to handle the mental side of things, with focus and composure under extreme pressure. At this level against them, penalties kill you, errors kill you, switching off for a split second kills you. They're schooled in intensity and we're not, simple as.

Top teams in Super League can give penalties away and get away with it, they can't do that at this level, and it can't be acceptable if we want to win. Someone above said they could live with Westwood giving away 1 or 2 penalties because of what else he brings. That's a problem for me, and with that attitude we'll never get the better of them when it matters. He was lucky not to give another penalty away for getting involved with his fists, if that would have escalated he would have been pinged for it, for throwing first.
I don't mean to single Westwood out, but no other player had me screaming at the TV like he did. His penalties were blockhead and unecessary, and he must be insane because he does it alot. That's what worries me, not just him, others too. They'll get back in the sheds, they'll have the coach make it clear what they need fixing up, they'll know themselves, but they never learn, they'll go out and do the same thing again. They can't handle pressure, very few of our lads can, maybe two or three and that's it. That's what frustrates because out of 17 that take the field there is always plenty of scope for that lapse that kills the moment, and makes it so much easier for them.

Another thing that helps them, and it has been going on so long now it's just a joke, is the officiating. It has always favoured them. How many stoppages occured during that 2nd half!?? Allowing them and us to have a breather, but who benefits, the team that has some match fitness having played last week, or the team that for the most part hasn't played for nearly two months!
Add that to our habitual self destruction, and it allows them to look so much better, and literally gifts them the upper hand. All things being equal on an even playing field, that definitely would not be the case.

It's a crying shame we don't have the competition they do over there, and the Origin, not because it's better, but because it is more intense. Physically, and skillfully, we're not inferiror. Of course you can drill down to positions and make cases for who is better than who, but on the whole for what we have, if we had the same mental toughness we'd have knocked them off their perch a long time ago. They make mistakes too, lots of them at times when we can rattle them, the problem is we can't keep it up, and they'll often benefit from 50/50 calls, or we'll allow them back into it with unforced errors, and penalties. Just like yesterday after 20mins.

As far as our game goes, we should improve with more game time, but so will they, and so will NZ, the one thing that will not improve is the natural instinct to make the right decision under pressure, it's in their DNA, and we don't have the domestic competition that affords us the same benefits sadly.

when you talk about Westwoods penalties being stupid ones what do you mean? One was a high shot so only one could be classed as dumb.

Take Westwood out and ok you lose maybe one penalty a game, but you lose a lot of class too. Not a great trade off in my eyes.

Similar with OLoughlin, he has plenty high tackles in him but the quality he brings more than compensates.

#795 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

just gone through the first 20mins of the game....we did to australia what australia normally do to us which is capitalize on mistakes..

6m30s - penalty against thurston for a strip

7m - ryan hall try

14m - australia offside
14m40sec - penalty against australia for holding down

15m15sec - a no try for george burgess

16m - australia knock on
18m - australia knock on

19m - cudjoe try

thats what they normally do to us

OLDHAM RLFC

#796 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

when you talk about Westwoods penalties being stupid ones what do you mean? One was a high shot so only one could be classed as dumb.
Take Westwood out and ok you lose maybe one penalty a game, but you lose a lot of class too. Not a great trade off in my eyes.
Similar with OLoughlin, he has plenty high tackles in him but the quality he brings more than compensates.

Exactly, every team needs and has a Ben Westwood, a no-nonsense enforcer type player what the kiwis refer to as "mongrel" Also the Aussies rate him as they did gareth hock incidentally.

#797 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

This is your zenith.

Never, in the history of RL has there ben a more one-eyed point of view.

If you seriously think he was better than either of the Australian half backs, you need help.

Watch the game Simmo and come back to me and explain how cooper cronk was better than Sinfield.

#798 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Watch the game Simmo and come back to me and explain how cooper cronk was better than Sinfield.

I don't need to watch it again, but I suspect you do.

Shoehorning him into the team will be the undoing of our WC bid. Time to bite the bullet, before it's too late, and get rid of him.

#799 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

just watched the 1st half....cronk did ###### all

OLDHAM RLFC

#800 Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

The singling out of westwood on here is scandalous, I'm pretty sure that it was Sam burgess who missed the game changing tackle. I'm pretty sure it was Sam Burgess who will get banned for a terrible high shot and not westwood, I'm pretty sure Ben was the top tackler and England were winning until he went off and i'm pretty sure Englands mini second half revival coincided with Ben coming back on, all be it briefly due to a nasty head injury. The guy is a warrior and those cheapshotting him on here are not fit to lace his boots. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users