Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New signing

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Ross Brooke's from millom now signed on

#2 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Any info on him?

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#3 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thought he had already signed last week ?

Rip the bludgers heads off!

#4 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

Barrow Woolybacks doesn't have the same ring to it as Barrow Raiders!! Don't know anything about him, been brought in as back up to Mort by the sounds of it. Whilst it's good that locals are bring signed up we need some experienced players at this level too.

#5 Appleman

Appleman
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

A bit on the signing here:

http://www.nwemail.c...-back-1.1092593

Two more to be announced tomorrow morning.

Ever alert for the call to Craven Park

#6 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

Quite worrying giving these amatuers a chance without a trial or anything, who knows if they can step up to the pro level

#7 observer

observer
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

They are being given the chance to step up to the plate on the basis they have potential, any good barrow side over the years has always had a good number of players from millom.

those who spring to mind straight away are mossop and dawson and from times gone by Steve Mossop, Graham Lupton, Mick James,Terry Moore.

Anthony Murray already knows these lads and if he feels that they could deliver then who knows we may just uncover a gem, 

We need experience yes but lets wait and see once the full squad has developed.

Posted Image

#8 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

I dont think its worrying at all i think its great were giving the local lads a chance to prove themselves hope they do well.

Tom Heighton

#9 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

Same people that bleat about locals leaving....

#10 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

Quite worrying giving these amatuers a chance without a trial or anything, who knows if they can step up to the pro level

You won't lose anything if they on pay as you play. Don't perform, don't get picked, don't get paid.

#11 weststiger

weststiger
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Ah you are all missing somthing here,when lupton,mossop,james,moore,were signed from Millom,they were up there, as one of ,if not ,the best amatuer teams in the country,what have the present Millom sides achieved in the past few seasons,time will tell,but the raiders need a blend of experience and youth,and not just the players from last season who were not good enough, then, and are the same players know.

#12 JC3

JC3
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

We've only signed Brookes from an amateur side haven't we? Palmer and Mort aren't from one.

#13 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

True but palmer hasn't really had any experience at pro level

#14 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

why don't we reserve judgement until the squad is complete ... then we can assess the chances for next year ?

Edited by morty, 21 October 2013 - 10:15 PM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#15 millomite

millomite
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:54 AM

Weststiger

Yes millom were at the top of the game when my old man, dumpy, micker etc all signed, but to say that because they haven't won any thing in the last few years there's no good players is short sighted.

Since earning promotion from Div 2 of the NCL, millom have lost Nathan Mossop, Bradd Crellin, Andrew Dawson, Elliott Miller and latterly Matty Palmer to the pro ranks. These young lads were top performers for the club and would have been the core of the side for the last five years. Ross has played in the same side that gained promotion as all of the above.

Were Dalton a top side when Nixon signed?
Askam were pretty much bottom of the NCL when Butler signed
Ulverston weren't even in the top tier of the NWC when Dan Toal signed

The lads I've mentioned there have all done jobs for the raiders. This isnt a pro millom post, it's a give the lads a chance post.

#16 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

Weststiger

Yes millom were at the top of the game when my old man, dumpy, micker etc all signed, but to say that because they haven't won any thing in the last few years there's no good players is short sighted.

Since earning promotion from Div 2 of the NCL, millom have lost Nathan Mossop, Bradd Crellin, Andrew Dawson, Elliott Miller and latterly Matty Palmer to the pro ranks. These young lads were top performers for the club and would have been the core of the side for the last five years. Ross has played in the same side that gained promotion as all of the above.

The lads I've mentioned there have all done jobs for the raiders. This isnt a pro millom post, it's a give the lads a chance post.

Spot on

Tom Heighton

#17 Furnessman

Furnessman
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

County Tri-Series next month at Craven Park, holders Cumbria will have a good show of local talent against Lancashire playing. Showcase for some of them, BARLA did give Raiders a scare at the start of last season.

#18 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Sometimes however annoying it is the lads from barla are better then some on the pro teams but just don't want to step up to the pro game and showcase there talents for barla!
John Paul brocklebank And Karl Dixon are 2 of the best Amatuers I've ever seen!
Is it same with a few South Cumbrian lads?

#19 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

Sometimes however annoying it is the lads from barla are better then some on the pro teams but just don't want to step up to the pro game and showcase there talents for barla!
John Paul brocklebank And Karl Dixon are 2 of the best Amatuers I've ever seen!
Is it same with a few South Cumbrian lads?

I think it is mate yeah !!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#20 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Weststiger

Totally agree with you here. Individual brilliance can shine in the right environment. Likewise, the idea of a challenge can inspire some individuals to become champions. There are some top amateurs playing around here who could step up given time in the (semi) pro ranks. Some, I would argue, could go even further if they are dropped into the right environment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users