Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

26/10/13: World Cup Game 2 - Wales v Italy

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wales by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

2. Wales by 7 to 12 points (17 votes [37.78%])

Percentage of vote: 37.78%

3. Wales by 1 to 6 points (14 votes [31.11%])

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Italy by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

6. Italy by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [17.78%])

Percentage of vote: 17.78%

7. Italy by 13 points or more (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

Did anyone see Briers? I won't hear a word against him but thought all year that he would turn a decent Welsh side into a good one.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#62 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

Wales played witha lot of heart but were a bit one dimensional
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#63 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

I would say not because the Italian player was no longer 'grounded'.

Isn't he grounded by having the ball carrying arm on the floor

#64 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

Yes, but for me the Welsh player was not on him until he'd passed the ball. I thought he'd knocked on but apparently not, 50/50 IMO

I'm not talking about when the Italian player fell on the floor but when he regained his feet. As he passed the ball the ball carrying hand touched the floor and there definatly was a welsh player in contact at the time.

#65 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

Wales played with a lot of heart but were a bit one dimensional

imo, echoed of Harris's coaching time at the old Crusaders, in fact it looked like nothing had changed in his tactics.

regards 7

#66 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Pretty much spot on 7

#67 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

Wales thought very well today although I feel Italy had alot more to give and dint get out of 2nd gear Wales did they nation proud and lets remember this is a team without heritage stars and the key for Wales is to keep building with the young players and carry on the great development work

#68 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

Really enjoyed this game, well done wales. Italy experience just took it away from them in the end. It's going to be an interesting group.

#69 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

Italy are a disgrace and a sham. It would be so much better if they had the hinesty simply to call themselves Sydney Italians and have done.
A proper national team being rebuilt on solid foundations for the first time in 100 years deserved better than to come up against an NRL select combination.
I saw enough to believe Wales can beat Cooks and USA, as the Sydneysiders group is much harder and the other 2 teams in it will win their cross group games.
Wales' problem is that they are trying to play without 6, 7 or 9. That'll be too much in the end.
Incidentally, wonderful to see Rhys Evans playing so well at 1. He looked like the player he was 2 years ago.

#70 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Italy are a disgrace and a sham. It would be so much better if they had the hinesty simply to call themselves Sydney Italians and have done.
A proper national team being rebuilt on solid foundations for the first time in 100 years deserved better than to come up against an NRL select combination.
I saw enough to believe Wales can beat Cooks and USA, as the Sydneysiders group is much harder and the other 2 teams in it will win their cross group games.
Wales' problem is that they are trying to play without 6, 7 or 9. That'll be too much in the end.
Incidentally, wonderful to see Rhys Evans playing so well at 1. He looked like the player he was 2 years ago.

I agree. Wales need Briers so badly and Lloyd White in at Hooker IMO, not quick enough for a half back.

The only consolation for Italy I guess is that the players seem Italian when you read their names, but then again the after match interviews are horrific.

#71 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

I agree. Wales need Briers so badly and Lloyd White in at Hooker IMO, not quick enough for a half back.

The only consolation for Italy I guess is that the players seem Italian when you read their names, but then again the after match interviews are horrific.

Yeh really thought briers would have 1 last go with Wales and he's needed desperately, Lloyd white is a talent someone I rate but is a hooker not a half. Tbf when you look at the Italian lineup they all look like Italian names obviously the problem is some of these guys won't play again or would switch to aus if given the chance

#72 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:02 PM

Italy aren't a disgrace, the rules are a disgrace. Agreed on Wales playing without enough direction of pivots and definite agreement on Rhys Evans

#73 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

Nothing wrong with Italy. The rules are there, they're playing to them. They have more Italian players than the Cook Islands have Cook Islanders, but no-ones complaining about them!

It's time to park the camels.

#74 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,000 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Yeh really thought briers would have 1 last go with Wales and he's needed desperately, Lloyd white is a talent someone I rate but is a hoover not a half. Tbf when you look at the Italian lineup they all look like Italian names obviously the problem is some of these guys won't play again or would switch to aus if given the chance

As much as I agree that the Italian team has potential to be embarrassing, I don't think the players are so mercenary if I am honest. Aren't they in effect playing for nothing?

I will be supporting Ireland on Monday night but don't sound very Irish.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#75 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

Whatever you may think of the "Italians" selection, it does not take away from the fact that Italy played very well and were great value for their win. Thought that the Azzuri showed some really good ball handling skills, particularly Mantellato with his outrageous offload. People were writing last week that England should never lose to Italy, but why not? Italy proved today they have a good team and plenty of creativity.

Edited by flyingking, 27 October 2013 - 12:04 AM.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#76 Lews therin

Lews therin
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:21 AM

Really enjoyed this game. Wales back line looks very entertaining for years to come. I did feel a little uneasy about Italy being stuffed full of Aussies but that's the way it is, hopefully it changes. This type of game shows why there should definitely be a European cup next year. Surely premier sports would be interested in something like that.

#77 Heritage XIII

Heritage XIII
  • Coach
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

The team could have at least learnt the Italian national anthem. The RLIF need to grow balls as there would be nothing wrong with a minimum 6 local players in their team. Italy have a domestic comp (which is quite dodgy with clubs playing an average of 1.8 games per season and one group not even starting the season-this has been verified by RLEF when I asked the question on a Q & A with RLEF CEO on facebook) and if that comp is not to a certain standard then they shouldn't have been allowed to participate in RLWC2013. Anyone could bring out an Aussie-whatever country rugby league team and participate in this cup if this is the standard allowed. Sorry but I cringed when no one sang their anthem and JD Café came up on national TV's as a shirt sponsor.

Oh well, by 2017 hopefully we will have sorted this out. Wales have done it!

#78 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 973 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

When the Italy union team is filled with Argentines and Aussies noone gives a rats bottom, in fact they are praised for how much the game has developed in Italy. I think this is a positive and if dealt with correctly can lead to another competitive team, who can compete with the big three.

#79 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:08 AM

Flat atomosphere for a Wales home game though most of the crowd stayed. Game was like a plucky championship club taking on a Super League side. plenty of welsh effort but superiar NRL class told with some slick handling moves from the Aussie-Italians in the 2nd Half.

Crowd getting bored towards the end performed a mexican wave started by the Fanatics.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#80 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Usual predictable negative whinges.

Will they be whinging about the Irish as well (only one Irish-born player in their squad)?
Or Cook Islands (1 Cook Island-born)?
Or Scotland (2 Scottish-born)?
Or Samoa (3 Samoan-born)?
Or Tonga (4-Tongan-born)?

Wait, USA aren't in that list? They've got a fair few American-born players apparently. Well, most have never played in their domestic competitions, so they aren't legit either. That now rules them out, too. And probably Fiji.

Bit of a boring World Cup with just England, Wales, France, Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users