League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

26/10/13: World Cup Game 2 - Wales v Italy

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wales by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.22%])

Percentage of vote: 2.22%

2. Wales by 7 to 12 points (17 votes [37.78%])

Percentage of vote: 37.78%

3. Wales by 1 to 6 points (14 votes [31.11%])

Percentage of vote: 31.11%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Italy by 1 to 6 points (2 votes [4.44%])

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

6. Italy by 7 to 12 points (8 votes [17.78%])

Percentage of vote: 17.78%

7. Italy by 13 points or more (3 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,177 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

if you bothered to read what I said you will see I wasn't trying to argue anything just point out some things that clearly influence peoples perception of certain teams whether rightly it wrongly but hey you're right so need to discuss it any further. Well done

Why are you being so touchy about this?

People will pick and choose what affects them, and in true RL fashion it's usually to pick a negative out. You've mentioned culture, but when the cultures of a few countries appear very similar then it's not exactly a fair comparison.

The majority of players in this WC will be heritage players. It's just the nature of a sport that only has two professional leagues based mainly in two countries. The cultural difference between Italy and Australia highlights the heritage issue more, but it really isn't any different to Samoa and Cook Islands having majority New Zealand-born players.
Posted Image

#102 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Why are you being so touchy about this?

People will pick and choose what affects them, and in true RL fashion it's usually to pick a negative out. You've mentioned culture, but when the cultures of a few countries appear very similar then it's not exactly a fair comparison.

The majority of players in this WC will be heritage players. It's just the nature of a sport that only has two professional leagues based mainly in two countries. The cultural difference between Italy and Australia highlights the heritage issue more, but it really isn't any different to Samoa and Cook Islands having majority New Zealand-born players.

yep you win well done
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#103 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

I agree the Italians have played within the rules with regards to eligibility. What I find farcical is the that you can change your allegiance. Minichiello has previously represented Australia, Civoneceva similarly and now represents Fiji and Moi Moi was a Kiwi in 2011 Four Nations and is now a Tongan. There are other examples.

As for yesterdays game the better side on the day won but I felt we (Wales) were on the wrong end of a couple of refereeing decisions. Kear's try that was disallowed didn't look a ball steal to me. Italy also had the benefit of a couple of iffy calls.

Thought Wales fought hard against a superior team who showed the value of a good kicking game which was missing from our boys.

There's always next week... :tongue:

Well said there.  They need to tie World Cup players to that country for life to make the heritage players legitimate..

#104 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Then the game needs to get serious about determining where a third pro league could viably exist, and the best place for that would likely be the US.  If planned and marketed well, RL could provide spring football to the millions of NFL and NCAA football fans on a much lower cost base than any USFL or XFL style venture could in a country whose TV networks spend $ billions between them broadcasting sports every year.  Of course, players in the mould of Akarika Dawn would be key for every team in any such venture.

Edited by Big Picture, 27 October 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#105 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,200 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Did anyone see Briers? I won't hear a word against him but thought all year that he would turn a decent Welsh side into a good one.

He was BRILLIANT! He was on the field almost as much as the players. On a couple of occasions he looked like he was going to join in the attacking line, though for a change he did stop short of telling the ref how to do his job.  Once, he actually pushed the Wales number 3 ( I think it was)  hard in the back to get him to move up into the line, too.    

#106 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,200 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:27 PM

The team could have at least learnt the Italian national anthem. The RLIF need to grow balls as there would be nothing wrong with a minimum 6 local players in their team. Italy have a domestic comp (which is quite dodgy with clubs playing an average of 1.8 games per season and one group not even starting the season-this has been verified by RLEF when I asked the question on a Q & A with RLEF CEO on facebook) and if that comp is not to a certain standard then they shouldn't have been allowed to participate in RLWC2013. Anyone could bring out an Aussie-whatever country rugby league team and participate in this cup if this is the standard allowed. Sorry but I cringed when no one sang their anthem and JD Café came up on national TV's as a shirt sponsor.

Oh well, by 2017 hopefully we will have sorted this out. Wales have done it!

The team could have at least learnt the Italian national anthem

How do you know they didn't?     Dave Woods  on R5 Live has just said they sang it with gusto...and that's what it looked like to me.  Can you say how many England players sang our national anthem - assuming of course that they knew the words?

#107 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,164 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

The only issue I have with heritage players is that they stick with that country and any kudos gained goes towards helping development in that country.

#108 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

Well tried boys. We  defended like demons but didn't have much creativity in attack. I think we'd have won if Lee Briers had made himself available. All we can do is move on and, seeing as we don't have much maverick, we'll just have to  work on a better offload game.

I thought Peter Lupton made a big improvement off the bench and should be the starting hooker.

Matt Seamark, Ian Webster and Neal Budworth looked, understandably,  a bit off the pace and I'd only have (at most) two of them in the 17 for the next game. I'd give Christiaan Roets or Rob Massam a go.

You should be thoroughly proud of the Welsh effort. There was definitely a difference in class but for 70mins, the Welsh defended like amazingly well but just ran out of steam. The Lloyd try was absolutely fantastic! I agree about Roets; he never let the side down in 2011 Four Nations and would bring a better balance to the side I think. Still all to play for and hopefully will see a Welsh win on Sunday in Wrexham; got my ticket so looking forward to it!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users