TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

28/10/13: World Cup Match 5 - Fiji v Ireland

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Fiji by 13 points or more (18 votes [43.90%])

Percentage of vote: 43.90%

2. Fiji by 7 to 12 points (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

3. Fiji by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Ireland by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

6. Ireland by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

7. Ireland by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,860 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

Fiji v Samoa quarter-final? That would be a beauty.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#222 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

That would have been my worst nightmare if i had the misfortune of having to run a ball in against those beasts!

#223 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

Absolutely fantastic to see the Irish and Fijian players with the Rochdale crowd after the game, shaking hands and taking photos. Only in Rugby League.

Brilliant stuff

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#224 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

It's a shame this had to be the first game for them both, it should really have been the final game play-off for third place. Ireland now know, realistically, that they're going home. Do we always have to start the world cup with England v Australia?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#225 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

Its the blue ribband game, so yes.

#226 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

Can't wait for the game against the Aussies on saturday. Fiji are really going to put the biff in on them. See how Gallen and Bird fancy that!

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#227 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

Isn't the video ref commentary on the replays supposed to be professional, lol?

"Ah sweet mate, I'm convinced, put it on the board" ???? :drag:

Or for the earlier one "Oh Jesus, I don't know"

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#228 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

Can't wait for the game against the Aussies on saturday. Fiji are really going to put the biff in on them. See how Gallen and Bird fancy that!

Think we'll all be Fiji fans that night!

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#229 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Like the way the Fiji team held a prayer meeting before leaving the pitch. Some of the things they were doing in the prior 80 minutes weren't particularly christian. :)
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#230 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Think we'll all be Fiji fans that night!

That goes without saying.  Anyone but Australia

#231 iangidds

iangidds
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

Like the way the Fiji team held a prayer meeting before leaving the pitch. Some of the things they were doing in the prior 80 minutes weren't particularly christian. :)

Heavenly father please forgive us for what we are about to do

#232 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

Its the blue ribband game, so yes.

Why does the blue ribband game have to be first? Okay, we have to have England v Australia in the group stage to help the tournament's viability, but we have to think about building the excitement. Ireland have two great tests coming up, but their chance of progressing in the tournament has effectively gone. The group would be a lot more exciting if the two 'big' teams played the other two first, then we go into the final two games as deciders for 1/2 and 3/4. Just think of the anticipation building.

Perhaps we have to prove that the game can consistently attract big crowds to world cup games, regardless of who is playing, and then have a fresh look at how we schedule the group fixtures.

#233 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Their version is Muscular Christianity. As you smash your opponent you say a little prayer for him.

#234 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

Love the Fijians full of passion and play the game tough but fair most of the time lol but will be a pleasure to watch them at the kc a very handy set of players they have and think they'll go well

#235 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

Well done to RLWC and everyone in Rochdale for promoting the game and attracting a full house at Spotland. The crowds have been capacity at two grounds now and decent attendance at Cardiff.  The quality of the games has been outstanding and will hopefully attract other supporters to the games.

I agree with the poster who suggested that all games should be live on terrestrial TV. BBC found space for multiple broadcasts on BBC channels/ red button and online when the Olympics was on so it is possible,  Don't get me wrong I like Premier Sports RL coverage; I just think it would have created more exposure to the game if BBC had broadcast more games.

#236 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Well done to RLWC and everyone in Rochdale for promoting the game and attracting a full house at Spotland. The crowds have been capacity at two grounds now and decent attendance at Cardiff. The quality of the games has been outstanding and will hopefully attract other supporters to the games.

I agree with the poster who suggested that all games should be live on terrestrial TV. BBC found space for multiple broadcasts on BBC channels/ red button and online when the Olympics was on so it is possible, Don't get me wrong I like Premier Sports RL coverage; I just think it would have created more exposure to the game if BBC had broadcast more games.

Agree on all counts the positive start is already benefiting the rest of the tournement. I do feel the likes of nz Samoa games ect have to be on bbc fair enough the so called small games like tomoro night yeh let premier have the rights

#237 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hopefully a few more tickets should be sold at Saints now for the next Fiji game. Can they beat the Aussies?

Well, if it is sold out it won't be down to great promotion by Saints or St Helens Council.  The Council have even now taken down the one measly flag they had hanging from a lamp post.  There has been nothing around the town centre at all, no flags, no events, nothing to promote the game, and Saints have just announced today that they're opening the East Stand for sale of tickets, which just about sums up their non-efforts.  I'm well embarrassed by my club and my town.  Rochdale and Warrington so far have put them to shame.  Even Cardiff did a better job, and that's saying something.

#238 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

Well, if it is sold out it won't be down to great promotion by Saints or St Helens Council.  The Council have even now taken down the one measly flag they had hanging from a lamp post.  There has been nothing around the town centre at all, no flags, no events, nothing to promote the game, and Saints have just announced today that they're opening the East Stand for sale of tickets, which just about sums up their non-efforts.  I'm well embarrassed by my club and my town.  Rochdale and Warrington so far have put them to shame.  Even Cardiff did a better job, and that's saying something.

Plus Bristol, Huddersfield, Workington etc etc...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#239 Banbury Wolf

Banbury Wolf
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Fiji v Samoa quarter-final? That would be a beauty.

Bought our Warrington quarter final tickets today in anticipation of Fiji vs Samoa, PNG or France. Should be the most competitive of the 1/4s, presuming the top 3 seeds win their remaining games as expected.

#240 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Good job Christianity isn't about living by a set of rules but through faith in Jesus.

Must say I think the weather spoilt the game as a spectacle. Hopefully it will improve for the rest of the tourno otherwise we may be starved of free flowing rugby league.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users