Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

28/10/13: World Cup Match 5 - Fiji v Ireland

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Fiji by 13 points or more (18 votes [43.90%])

Percentage of vote: 43.90%

2. Fiji by 7 to 12 points (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

3. Fiji by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Ireland by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

6. Ireland by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

7. Ireland by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

Really enjoyed the game tonight and glad to be a part of the crowd.

Both teams held nothing back.  The Irish are always what a team should be more than the sum of their parts.

After having been to 4 of the first 5 it's time to take a breather before 2 more on Saturday and one on Sunday.

#242 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

Was great to be there tonight. The size of the Fijian community (and indeed the physical size of fans and players alike!) has to be seen to be believed.

#243 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

I really enjoyed it. Atmosphere was good with lots of friendly banter and rivalry. Thought Ireland gave plenty of effort and didn't back down in face of some real physicality. Ultimately though a couple of class players away from really being a threat and Fiji were that bit better.
In other news I managed to park about a mile away. I saw a sign saying Rugby parking and could see the floodlights so thought it would do but it was blooming miles away (ish)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#244 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

Fiji look a real threat and im intrigued to see how they go against Australia at the weekend. I certainly hope they are as aggressive as they were last night when they were clearly physically dominant. Ill be majorly disappointed if they hold back against the aussies or england for that matter.

That first half was one of the most aggressive displays Ive seen from a RL team and it was really enjoyable watching it and how the Irish fronted up. Loved James Hasson getting into Ash Sims great contest.

This world cup has been class so far. new rule change for next season - youre not allowed to return the ball from the kick-off at less than 30mph or its a penalty....

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#245 Fax1978

Fax1978
  • Coach
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

Looking forward to Westwood and mcllorum (just missing hock) against the Sims could be a very interesting penalty fest and boarder line punched.

Tbh I thought the Irish played really really well and above their weight and didn't do bad at putting the big hits in either. Let's be realistic it was a team of mainly part timers against a team of established and fringe nrl players the weather was a bit of a leveller but what another great game.

So far every game has been very competitive good quality rl, long may it continue as others have said it's a pity that it's not being broadcast to a wider audience but premier sports are doing a fine job.

Excellent attendances so far ad well especially considering the weather.

#246 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

"new rule change for next season - youre not allowed to return the ball from the kick-off at less than 30mph or its a penalty...."

gets my vote!

#247 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Loved last nights game, brilliant atmosphere, plenty of Fijians and Irish about and a good game too.

Fiji were just too powerful and the brutal defence in the first half softened the Irish up that allowed Fiji to cut loose in the second. It could be argued Ireland were only in the game at HT due to a lack of discipline from Fiji.

Ashton Sims is my new favourite player, he's an angry man isnt he?! Really aggressive in defence and looked ready to smack someone at every opportunity! Brilliant!

Well done to Rochdale for what was a fanstastic night, the ground was packed and there was a real buzz around the place. A huge success and was a pleasure to be there to witness it!

#248 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

This world cup has been class so far. new rule change for next season - youre not allowed to return the ball from the kick-off at less than 30mph or its a penalty....

Absolutely!! I love our sport! 

#249 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Just finished watching it. This World Cup is coming up trumps big time.

I thought the Irish put in an effort they can be very proud of, I really enjoyed their commitment. I was particularly impressed with Scott Grix, good player.

Also good to see yet another Raider (White) put in a very respectable performance. Hopefully Papalii gets a chance against Fiji now.

Let's keep this tournament rolling. Enter Tonga/Scotland...

#250 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,444 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

Like the way the Fiji team held a prayer meeting before leaving the pitch. Some of the things they were doing in the prior 80 minutes weren't particularly christian. :)

Check the Old Testament - a whole lot of smiting in there.

Like the way the Fiji team held a prayer meeting before leaving the pitch. Some of the things they were doing in the prior 80 minutes weren't particularly christian. :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#251 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

Uate is an excitement machine. Poor Pat.

#252 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

"new rule change for next season - youre not allowed to return the ball from the kick-off at less than 30mph or its a penalty...."

gets my vote!

I don't know how the players are going to cope with kick offs at a faster speed, the way some heads have been whipping back in contact is unblievable. At the risk of sounding over dramatic, they truly are superhuman. Contact sport at it's most brutal.

#253 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Just finished watching it. This World Cup is coming up trumps big time.

I thought the Irish put in an effort they can be very proud of, I really enjoyed their commitment. I was particularly impressed with Scott Grix, good player.

Also good to see yet another Raider (White) put in a very respectable performance. Hopefully Papalii gets a chance against Fiji now.

Let's keep this tournament rolling. Enter Tonga/Scotland...

Agreed, Grix took an absolute battering at times but kept coming back for more, fair play to him. Thought Eamon O'Carroll put in some mammoth carries as well, even having two tackles in that staggering first set of six!

#254 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

Is Jarryd Hayne injured?

#255 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:19 AM

Grixy isn't the best player, but he puts everything he has into a game every time he puts his boots on, if medals were given for effort and courage he'd have plenty

#256 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Is Jarryd Hayne injured?

No, he's Australian (again) Just like Uate is Fijian (again)

#257 littlebigfella

littlebigfella
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Ashton Sims is a lively soul ! Glad big Sam will be back for the Fiji game ... Ashton versus big Sam will kick off !

SIMS BROTHERS VS THE BURGESS BROTHERS.................... I KNOW WHO WOULD WIN!!!

#258 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

No, he's Australian (again) Just like Uate is Fijian (again)

Do we want the best players playing in this tournament or not ?

I don't have a problem with players changing sides - it's just something we have to cope with as a sport.  It's an economic issue.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#259 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

I enjoyed the game and also, the beer, fish and chips and me missus and daughter enjoyed the pie's.   All in all a good old fashioned RL experience, oh and yeah the long walk in the rain to the car added as well - took me back to days of ole....

More seriously the Fijians tried to intimidate the Irish, but it was really good to see the Irish not allowed themselves to be bullied.  Having said that some of the tackling was brutal at times, no problem with that as it was fair, but some was thuggish and how it took so long for a Fiji player to be sin-binned was surprising, even then it wasn't main culprit.  The game is tough enough especially playing the Fijians without some of the cheap shots from them.  How on earth the number 8 wasn't sent to the sin-bin instead of just being talked to on a number of occasions makes you wonder why he isn't on report given the Sam Burgess high tackle example, this fellow was a serial offender.

The Irish did have plenty of ball and territory after the first blistering 15 mins from the Fijians but the Fiji defence was too good for the Irish who always struggled to create real opportunities. Whereas the Fiji team looked dangerous whenever they got into the Irish half.

Best team won but whilst enjoying the physical nature of the Fijians they did overstep the mark and should have been more seriously punished sooner than the eventually sin-binning (unfortunately for the person sent as it was obviously one of those "the next man" situations)  which led to cooling tempers, although this was helped by the number 8 being interchanged and off the field for a good while.

Edited by redjonn, 29 October 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#260 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Really enjoyed my day out in Rochdale. http://southwakefiel...le-and-a-smack/

Great crowd, didn't really believe all that about Rochdale & Fiji, but it's true. Brutal match.

Now on my way to Workington to see Tonga give it to Scotland.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users