Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

28/10/13: World Cup Match 5 - Fiji v Ireland

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Fiji by 13 points or more (18 votes [43.90%])

Percentage of vote: 43.90%

2. Fiji by 7 to 12 points (13 votes [31.71%])

Percentage of vote: 31.71%

3. Fiji by 1 to 6 points (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Ireland by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

6. Ireland by 7 to 12 points (2 votes [4.88%])

Percentage of vote: 4.88%

7. Ireland by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Wouldn't write Ireland off ,

losing Simon Grix is a loss

however they have a good smattering of SL - NRL players in the Squad and their kicking game will be crucial ( Marc Sneyd for positional kicking - Pat Richards for Conversions ) .

I guessing Ireland will try to dictate play territorially  & Fiji will try to score from their 10 yard line .

#22 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

Was that the Ireland v Tonga match? Really enjoyed that one.

That was the very first game if Rugby League that I watched, I accidentally stumbled accross it on the bbc sport website, it was a cracking game, been hooked since.

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,770 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

That was the very first game if Rugby League that I watched, I accidentally stumbled accross it on the bbc sport website, it was a cracking game, been hooked since.

The Tongans were all trying to outdo each other in who could make the biggest tackle. Ireland were much better than I expected in that match, too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 hoff

hoff
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

The Tongans were all trying to outdo each other in who could make the biggest tackle. Ireland were much better than I expected in that match, too.

Some of the Tongan shoulder charges were brutal., I just remember being absolutely blown away by the skill and power on show, I was literally speechless. That match stayed on the BBC website for a good year after the tournament, was gutted when they removed it :(

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,770 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

Some of the Tongan shoulder charges were brutal., I just remember being absolutely blown away by the skill and power on show, I was literally speechless. That match stayed on the BBC website for a good year after the tournament, was gutted when they removed it :(

This time around the Tongans have added Konrad Hurrell!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

A Fijian win here I'd say

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

Got my ticket for this today. Looking forward to a win for Ireland now.

#28 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

Fiji by plenty, alot of quality in that team from the Sims brothers, Bukuya to the big danger man Uate who will tear a couple of the smaller teams apart in this tournament, the loss of Grix made things worse for Ireland, alot of quality NRL & a couple of decent Super League players in that Fiji team should see them to a comfortable 16+ point win.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#29 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Fiji by plenty, alot of quality in that team from the Sims brothers, Bukuya to the big danger man Uate who will tear a couple of the smaller teams apart in this tournament, the loss of Grix made things worse for Ireland, alot of quality NRL & a couple of decent Super League players in that Fiji team should see them to a comfortable 16+ point win.

Except the other two teams they play are England and Australia. I agree about the rest though.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#30 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Except the other two teams they play are England and Australia. I agree about the rest though.

Any other pool and they would probably go through, I think England & Australia will beat them comfortably but it certainly wont be a blowout.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#31 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

Ireland Samoa. Boat trip and guests of the parra board.

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Anyone got any tips for parking near the ground?

#33 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Yeah, don't. Oulder Hill secondary school car park ( 100 yards from the ground ) is reserved for VIP's I believe. We live 1/2 hrs walk away and we're walking.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 27 October 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#34 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Yeah, don't. Oulder Hill secondary school car park ( 100 yards from the ground ) is reserved for VIP's I believe. We live 1/2 hrs walk away and we're walking.

As much as I am looking forward to the game, I aren't walking from Bradford. ;)
What's a reasonable place to park then?

#35 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

It will be a nightmare at the ground - its in the middle of an estate of tiny streets.

Get onto google maps and look for Mellor Street, you may be ok there.  Just off Mellor Street is Bridgefold Rd as well.

If I were coming from Bradford, I'd come off at the Milnrow/Shaw exit (21) on M62 and work your way in from there.

You could also try bypassing Rochdale and coming off at Heywood and making your way to Bamford/Norden. 

Whichever way you come, your going to have to walk a bit.

If you can get there early, bars on the ground are opening at 12.

Edited by Ex-Kirkholt, 27 October 2013 - 11:30 PM.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#36 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:26 PM

Cheers Ex. What junction is that...20?

#37 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Cheers Ex. What junction is that...20?

Heywood is 19.

20 is Rochdale/Oldham (A627M)

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#38 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

the bars are opening at 12? Impressive. Going to be some hammered lads there tonight! Have been looking forward to this game for months, we're currently cowering in our house like the little pigs though and I'm trusting Virgin Trains can get me up to Manchester this afternoon. Still buzzing from watching the NZ-Samoa game, think I'll have another peek at that before I set off. Bosh!

#39 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

Why don't you get the train and then a taxi to the ground. It's not too far. About a £ fiver each way.

#40 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Isn't there a pub doing a Fijian curry today? Thought I might see if I can find that for a change to the usual burger & chips.