League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

29/10/13: World Cup Match 6 - Tonga v Scotland

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Tonga by 13 points or more (14 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

2. Tonga by 7 to 12 points (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

3. Tonga by 1 to 6 points (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

4. Draw (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

5. Scotland by 1 to 6 points (12 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

6. Scotland by 7 to 12 points (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

7. Scotland by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

What a game! Full of incident and excitement. Tonga could so easily have won if you consider the easy conversion miss and, on the other hand the Scotland one off the crossbar (never mind all the disallowed tries).
Having said that, did anyone else think that the Tongan no 7 should have been pinged for a voluntary tackle in the play leading up to their try early in the second half? It looked to me that he thought he was going to be tackled into touch and dived to the ground to avoid it.

No matter - the better team won in the end! (***bias alert***)

Best game of the tournament to far (and I was at Warrington). Come on Scotland! Can't wait for Sunday now.

Yes mate! I forgot about that voluntary tackle from Foster, it was one of the most blatant I have ever seen.... Danny Brough was screaming at the official for the pen but none of the others seemed to react.

#242 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yes mate! I forgot about that voluntary tackle from Foster, it was one of the most blatant I have ever seen.... Danny Brough was screaming at the official for the pen but none of the others seemed to react.

Brough would have been, it was his shocking kick that have him the ball ;-) but I couldn't make my mind up if he actually slipped rather than it being voluntary tackle I'd have to watch it again.

#243 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Just arrived in Carlisle for my onward journey to Bristol.

Workington did themselves a lot of good with the way they staged this game. http://southwakefiel...ton-and-beyond/

Hope Sunday goes as well for them. I'll be in Wrexham instead.

Really enjoyed last night, the game was fantastic, atmosphere was good in Weatherspoon's afterwards, and the chat with the Hull KR fans and Aussie Rob back at the hotel until the wee hours topped off a great day.

The bar has been set pretty high for Bristol tonight.

That last paragraph was excellent.

It's time to park the camels.

#244 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

best game of the competition so far, real edge of the seat stuff.....how about expanding the game as a whole north of the border??? this result gives the perfect vehicle especially when an ayrshire lad scored the winning try.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#245 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

best game of the competition so far, real edge of the seat stuff.....how about expanding the game as a whole north of the border??? this result gives the perfect vehicle especially when an ayrshire lad scored the winning try.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#246 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Just watched. Plainly put, we are being spoilt silly.

Even though I knew the end score and the general gist of who was scoring next, I found myself really riding Scotland's chances. They really deserved that win, I was impressed.

I don't know why Brough got such a pasting on here. Scotland don't come close to winning without him. He had a few gaffs, but he showed a ton of class. You can say how he would've gone against Australia but that game wouldn't have put me off him at all. Agree about Matt Russell though, great game by him.

Despite Scotland winning me over, I'm far from convinced that wasn't a Tonga try at the end. Everyone's saying it was grounded by Scotland by the torso. I've watched it so many times in very slow motion from all aired angles and never am I sure I see a torso on the ball. Nearly the whole time, there is air between torso and ball and that's very clear. There's a short period where the ball disappears from view but you can never conclude contact there. I'd have given it a try.

#247 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 962 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

I thought the Aussie ref was very good, he tolerated very little nonsense at the PTB, as a result of which they were quick and the game had a good flow as a result.

The kind of reffing performance where he is very involved, seemed to be spot on with more technical offenses but the game was never in danger of becoming all about him.

#248 robins up north

robins up north
  • Players
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

Well done Scotland, really looking forward to the game against Italy.

#249 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

I wish people would learn the voluntary tackle rule.

It would have been a voluntary tackle if he'd stood up and played the ball without anyone having touched him. As it was, he dived to the floor and stayed, which is fine. Brough - who also needs to learn the rule - moaned for a bit and then put his hands on him, completing the tackle.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#250 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,543 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

The biggest problem with that situation jb is the defender isn't allowed to compete in the tackle. As you say, the second he touches the attached that's tackle complete. It's a bit odd as the defender can do nothing, can't one on one strip, can't man handle into touch etc.

#251 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Couldn't get to the game, ironically because I'm working in Ayrshire, but several of the locals have told me what a great game it was and the interest they are taking is unprecedented in my experience - they all know I'm an RL fan. Can't wait for Sunday's game at Workington - my first attendance of this WC

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#252 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,041 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

A voluntary tackle only occurs if the ref tells the player to get up and he doesn't, falling to the floor is not a voluntary tackle, its refusing to get up that is.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#253 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Just got in from the match ... Wow that was great , hope it all came across on telly . Brough , Wallace and Henderson were just awesome . Two halves ran the show and Hendo is just granite . Tonga looked like they had plan A of running over Scotland and it didn't work as they imagined . Their halves weren't as effective , especially on the last play . Great day for our town and hope we put on a good show !

It was a great occasion all round and the town and rugby league community of Workington should be proud of the part they played. The old ground looked in fine shape, and the money spent of it obviously helped. There were some on here who said that Derwent Park shouldn't be let anywhere near the world cup but it came across as a traditional rugby league venue. Cumbria definitely deserved the chance to stage games and they have exceeded expectations.

And what a crowd figure!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#254 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

I am still exhausted after last night. I was so tense, watching the lead slip away. At half-time I'm thinking of the glory of such a fantastic result, yet within just a few minutes of the second half all I could think of was a continuous Tongan onslaught and the lead slipping away. So many twists and turns, and the tension lasted right to the last second.

I had to get to bed straight after the final whistle to be up for work, but I was so wound up I couldn't get to sleep.

This tournament couldn't be better!

#255 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

Brilliant game yet again, if only the BBC were televising them all.

Was a bit disappointed with Tonga.  Of the island teams I thought they would be the strongest, but they looked very one dimensional in attack with little creativity from the young halves.

Scotland on the other hand exceeded my expectations and really played well as a team unit.  McCormack's tactic of playing the offload game worked beautifully in the first half.

Roll on tonight's game - this is brilliant.

I think the restricted coverage from the BBC is a consequence of the 2000 tournament. The BBC and Sky bought into that tournament in a big way and I think they did feel a bit let down by its failure. The good news is that I think the game is now making a lot of friends by the way it is proving that it can put on a show. And it seems to be the second time in a row, after 2008, that our international game can be a spectacle.

As for media coverage, BBC Radio Scotland, on their hourly news bulletin, have mentioned Scotland's victory all day (after the soccer news, obviously).

Reports:

Herald
Scotsman
Courier
Daily Record (great photo of Fuifui Moimoi

#256 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

And Scotland RL's website!

#257 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

It was a great occasion all round and the town and rugby league community of Workington should be proud of the part they played. The old ground looked in fine shape, and the money spent of it obviously helped. There were some on here who said that Derwent Park shouldn't be let anywhere near the world cup but it came across as a traditional rugby league venue. Cumbria definitely deserved the chance to stage games and they have exceeded expectations.

And what a crowd figure!

Ill hold my hands up and admit I thought that Workington was a poor choice, especially for 2 matches.
I thought it was a poor stadium and whilst people always race about Cumbrian support, the crowds were never exactly large.

Very happy to be wrong on this and Im looking forward to visiting on Sunday.

#258 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Dave, the old stadium has been scrubbed up a bit and looks tidier.
The new, blue seats look good but are bloomin' cold.
The stadium is still limited in terms of catering (the main bar underneath the grandstand is reserved for hospitality) and toilet facilities (portaloos abound) but it loked and sounded great last night.
If the football club hadn't been so pig-headed last nights games may have been played in a new stadium but it may have lost some atmosphere.
However, the whole Allerdale area has been well up for these 2 games, put in a huge amount of effort and have put on a very good show.
Fantastic to see the great Paul Charlton bring the World Cup out - he hadn't touched it since 1972!
Wrap up warm on Sunday - cold, wet and windy forecast

#259 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

ive justed watched the replay again, and I am sure tonga were robbed of a try at the end. he didn't look to ground the ball with his torso, and if he did, I would say it was simultaneous

#260 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,456 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

Wasn't the planned new stadium in Cumbria that originally won these games only set to be a 5k capacity?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users