Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

29/10/13: World Cup Match 6 - Tonga v Scotland

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Tonga by 13 points or more (14 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

2. Tonga by 7 to 12 points (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

3. Tonga by 1 to 6 points (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

4. Draw (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

5. Scotland by 1 to 6 points (12 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

6. Scotland by 7 to 12 points (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

7. Scotland by 13 points or more (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Estimated attendance for this one?

It's time to park the camels.

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,107 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

Anybody watching this in Edinburgh? We'll be in The Globe Bar on Niddry Street who'll be screening the game.

#23 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

8 thousand sold am I right?, should be a cracker tomoro night but be suprised if the Tongans don't win by more then 24 hopefully be a good close game

#24 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

Estimated attendance for this one?

Radio Cumbria tonight reported more than 7000 tickets are sold.
2 turnstiles will be open for walk up on the night - some are still trying to change shifts to attend.

#25 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

For those traveling from outside Cumbria, junction 40 of the M6 southbound (Penrith) will be closed from 8pm till 5am Weds.
Tuesday
2 options - either take the A591 at Keswick, south to Windermere, then Kendal then onto the M6 at junction 36. Or at junction 40 roundabout, carry straight on onto the A66 towards Appleby/Brough. In about a mile at the next roundabout, take the A6 south to Shap and then join the M6 there at junction 39.

#26 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

My predictions:

- Attendance 7400
- Tonga to be slightly less organised than Fiji were last night, Scotland to have more craft than Ireland. But still Tonga by a score
- A great night had by all
- The first 'Cumbrian SL club' thread to be on here by 11pm

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#27 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

My predictions:

- Attendance 7400
- Tonga to be slightly less organised than Fiji were last night, Scotland to have more craft than Ireland. But still Tonga by a score
- A great night had by all
- The first 'Cumbrian SL club' thread to be on here by 11pm

You missed out the inevitable thread about how McBanana has sunk England's chances ... this will come on about 2 minutes which will be the first time Danny Brough kicks the ball,

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

Tonga should win this if things go in their favour, a dry pitch will make them hard to beat.

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,753 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Interesting clash of styles here. Looking forward to it!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Having a brew in Carlisle station before my connection to Workington. Should be a good one. Hope Danny Brough really does his stuff tonight. I think Scotland will need him to do so, and if he fires, they could be quite a story in this World Cup.

#31 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:08 PM

Scotland by 6 hopefully. Hope it's wet and freezing and Brough keeps banging the ball downfield all night. Looking forward to seeing Russell too.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#32 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

Cant wait to see Fishiahi and Hurrell and Tupou and Taufua and Taumaolo and Moimoi!!

Tonga have some team! They have the skills and the power and should be too strong for Scotland.

Tonga 36 Scotland 16

#33 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,676 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

It will be like 1995 - 96 re-visited tonight seeing a crowd of over 7,000 in Derwent Park.

I think the Workington Town club, Allerdale Borough Council and the British Energy Coast people are to be thanked for the excellent work they have done to get these games played at Workington. Remember that these games were originally allocated for the new Whitehaven stadium but the plans for that fell through and a belated bid by Workington was given the go-ahead. So, it has been a tremendous effort by all concerned and they deserve to have a successful two games.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#34 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Lumped a fair amount of money of Scotland +20. Brough, Wallace and Henderson is a very good spine. The forwards appear just about good enough to not get hammered. Tonga by one or two scores.

#35 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Cant wait to see Fishiahi and Hurrell and Tupou and Taufua and Taumaolo and Moimoi!!

Tonga have some team! They have the skills and the power and should be too strong for Scotland.

Tonga 36 Scotland 16

Just about to say the same. Two NRL Grand Final wingers there, think it'll be too much for Scotland. Although I hope I'm wrong and we get our first home nations win.

I'm assuming most of the crowd will be cheering on Scotland on as if they were Workington?

Just seen a picture on Twitter from TGC, the pitch looks in great condition.

#36 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:37 PM

It will be like 1995 - 96 re-visited tonight seeing a crowd of over 7,000 in Derwent Park.

I think the Workington Town club, Allerdale Borough Council and the British Energy Coast people are to be thanked for the excellent work they have done to get these games played at Workington. Remember that these games were originally allocated for the new Whitehaven stadium but the plans for that fell through and a belated bid by Workington was given the go-ahead. So, it has been a tremendous effort by all concerned and they deserve to have a successful two games.

Agreed, a credit to the county and used some great promo techniques to increase awareness
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#37 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

Dave Woods doing the commentary tonight.

#38 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Nobody watching this one?

#39 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

Yes! Mesmerised by Tonga's Haka to post!!

#40 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

Nobody watching this one?

Me!

'mon Scotland!

Edited by Grinner, 29 October 2013 - 08:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users