League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

30/10/13: World Cup Match 7 - USA v Cook Islands

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. USA by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

2. USA by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. USA by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points (8 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

6. Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

7. Cook Islands by 13 points or more (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

Really enjoyed the game tonight. The flying try at the end was something else. Lots of excited Bristolian chatter on the bus back into town after the game.

#202 Phil C

Phil C
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:51 AM

A bit mischievous but I believe this was the biggest gate at the Memorial Ground this season - higher than any Rovers or Bristol Rugby match! 

#203 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

Having lived in Bristol for 4 years I have to say that the council and people of bristol get behind big events. You only have to look at the various things down at the harbourside etc. Shame the all golds chose Cheltenham over Bristol as the latter has way more potential.

#204 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

Having lived in Bristol for 4 years I have to say that the council and people of bristol get behind big events. You only have to look at the various things down at the harbourside etc. Shame the all golds chose Cheltenham over Bristol as the latter has way more potential.

Leaving the path open for Sonics to develop as their local rivals
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#205 amh

amh
  • 11,084 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

Seeing that crowd was THE best moment so far

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#206 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Just got back after a cracking night. Great game, great crowd, rubbish weather and a fantastic cornish pasty... top effort Bristol; very impressed!

Oh yeah, I even managed to impress a local girl who kept smiling at me and gave me a little wink...... when he boyfriend wasn't look! Naughty girl! :D

However, no game now until Friday?! I'll have withdrawal symptoms tomorrow...

What type of dog did she have :)

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 31 October 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#207 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Surprisingly good crowd. I recall some of the crowds in 2000 in non heartland places were abysmal. The game was good too. Although most of these sides like US, Cook Islands, Samoa, and Tonga seem to have more than a sprinkling of NRL players - lets face it that applies to England and NZ too. I suppose it proves what the Aussies say, that they are capable of producing 3 or 4 teams that could take on England and give them a game.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#208 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

Well done to all concerned!

#209 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Surprisingly good crowd. I recall some of the crowds in 2000 in non heartland places were abysmal. The game was good too. Although most of these sides like US, Cook Islands, Samoa, and Tonga seem to have more than a sprinkling of NRL players - lets face it that applies to England and NZ too. I suppose it proves what the Aussies say, that they are capable of producing 3 or 4 teams that could take on England and give them a game.

Some of the crowds in 2000 in heartland places were abysmal - e.g. Saints for England v Russia

#210 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

What an extraordinary night! I never thought I'd see the day where we had 7,000-plus watching an international Rugby League game in Bristol. It's almost mindblowing considering where we were 10 years ago. After they announced the crowd I was walking round in a daze, mostly saying the word "wow" over and over again!

The atmosphere in the ground was good - not as loud as some of the games, but when you were in the crowd it seemed quite lively. Loads and loads of locals, huge turn out from the local RL community - lots of old and new Sonics players, people from Swindon and Gloucester - and a large amount of local union fans/players, who must have enjoyed the occasion, despite it being freezing cold and chucking it down.

Disappointing result for the Kukis, but USA thoroughly deserved their win. The Cook Islands boys looked shattered (emotionally, at least) afterwards. Had a group of USA fans (actual Americans I think) sat behind our bit of the press area - they were very screechy and loud in atypical US sports fan way.

Brilliant build up on BBC Points West, including a live interview with Phil C. You can check it out here: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b03fd1ls

The World Cup stuff starts about 10/15 minutes in.

Such a lot of effort went into that - I can't praise the two local councils and Joe Catcheside enough for delivering such a great crowd. I can't remember what the ticket sales target set by the World Cup organisers was, but I'm pretty sure that was in excess of their figure, which since the beginning we all thought was ambitious. It just shows what you can achieve with the right backing, promotion and so on,

Had to go and have a pint with Phil afterwards. We both just looked at each other and said "well, that was a bit good"!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#211 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,198 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Another gripping evening on Radio 5 Sports Extra too. It came across really well.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#212 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 708 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Well done WCE for all your hard work which has greatly paid off. First time I have ever seen a Samba band at a game. The community involvement at each game really helps to create a pre match atmosphere, and also plays an important part in making the stadiums look packed.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#213 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

Some of the crowds in 2000 in heartland places were abysmal - e.g. Saints for England v Russia

Yes they have been shameful at times. It's just as important if not more so that the RLWC entices not just new RL fans to attend internationals but old as well, give them the international bug. An international with a big crowd looks important and meaningful, even if it isn't, something RU are masters of.

A consistent international calendar is a must, top tier and secind tier internationals.

It was a good game last night, although there were a lot of mistakes from both sides. I feared for that US number 5 in first 10 mins or so , looked like he'd been pulled straight from the Pennine League div 6 at first. Made up for it though. The US captain, does he play in their domestic comp? They had a few homegrown lads in there.

#214 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

Well done WCE for all your hard work which has greatly paid off. First time I have ever seen a Samba band at a game. The community involvement at each game really helps to create a pre match atmosphere, and also plays an important part in making the stadiums look packed.

Yes. The Samba band were great, actually - brilliant drumming. Lots of cynicism in the press box about the "Viral dance", which doesn;t seem to have gone viral. It gets a lot of local kids involved at every ground, though, which is great.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#215 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Brilliant game, loved every minute of it

In the chippy on the Gloucester Road with a couple of Aussies, guy in a Warrington shirt, Bath Rugby, Bristol Rovers, Gloucester Rugby and a Wasps supporter. How incredible is that

Seemed to be a few Wasps supporters around us as well as the rest.

Well done to Phil, Matt and Bristol council for putting on a great show. Can't imagine how much hard work went in to that.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#216 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

WELL DONE BRISTOL YOU PUT ON A GREAT SHOW LAST NIGHT!!!

A CREDIT TO THE WORLD CUP!!!

#217 RICHARD OLLETT

RICHARD OLLETT
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

Well done to Bristol and all at Bristol Sonics ARLFC. - last night was a credit to you all.

#218 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

"Such a lot of effort went into that - I can't praise the two local councils and Joe Catcheside enough for delivering such a great crowd. I can't remember what the ticket sales target set by the World Cup organisers was, but I'm pretty sure that was in excess of their figure, which since the beginning we all thought was ambitious. It just shows what you can achieve with the right backing, promotion and so on",

For what its worth I have never met Joe, who has tirelessly campaigned for RL across the SW for years. Living in Exeter as a northern ex pat its like living in another country sometimes, there are very real cultural differences.

The fact that RL exists down here at all is as much down to joe and his mates as it is the RFL or anyone else, and I have to say seeing the crowd at Bristol last night made me think we should consider an honour or something to mark the huge effort and achievement people like him put into RL

Massive effort and very well done to everyone involved. I do hope they see the dream of a professional Bristol team take off because there is such a lot of rugby talent in that area that plays at amateur level RL really would have a large talent pool if it can tap into it.

Me and the missus were speechless, we were a bit worried it might be empty terraces and I have to say I had a very real tear in my eye watching this one.

Well done!

#219 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Great effort Bristol well done.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#220 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

it will take something special to beat craig priestleys effort for the try of the competition.....great game and a fantastic crowd.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users