TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

30/10/13: World Cup Match 7 - USA v Cook Islands

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. USA by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

2. USA by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. USA by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points (8 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

6. Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

7. Cook Islands by 13 points or more (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Not to try and capitalise on this by getting more people playing and supporting the game, from juniors upwards. We'll be doing our bit: http://www.bristolso...ld-cup-success/
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#222 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

awesome by Bristol well done. mega and pleasantly surprised.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#223 St Reatham

St Reatham
  • Coach
  • 160 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Big well done to those involved on making this such a great occasion. It was a very good game too.

#224 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

You must be so proud of your city and community, for me it's the best thing to come out of the RLWC2013 so far. To match heartland fixture attendances like Workington and Hull is absolutely fantastic for the game. I understand that the marketing and promotion for this game was excellent and that the teams involved were very active within the community in the build up. It's a micro example of what the whole game needs to do international and domestic to make progress. Imagine if every host city/town had gone to the same efforts. In future this example should be used as what every host has to do to to be chosen for a match regardless of location.
I expect some of the organizers in traditional host towns are feeling pretty embarrassed at their efforts.
Well done Bristol you really delivered!

#225 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Back to the game.

Whilst I didn't get to see a bit of the second half due to a really poor Premier feed, I thought there was an interesting contrast in reffing styles between Thaler last night and the Aussie the night before.

The Aussie was taking no nonsense at the PTB and the game was much quicker as a result I thought. Whereas Thaler seemed to allow a much slower PTB which took a fair bit of zip out of the game.

#226 Pyjamarama

Pyjamarama
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

I thought that the game didn't lack any zip at all. It was a cracker. 

We attended the game & the whole experience of the trip was brilliant.

- We had a pre-match pint in the Wellington near the ground half expecting it to be reasonably quiet with just a few rugby fans in. It was buzzing & absolutely packed with rugby fans - the vast majority which were locals.

- We got chatting to two Bristol lads in there whose fav sport was RL.

- The crowd was awesome.

- We were stood close to where Craig Preistly scored to make it 28 -20. What a try! 

Only got back at 2.30am so was cream crackered this morning - but it was worth every penny & every second.

Cannot wait for the next game.

#227 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

I thought that the game didn't lack any zip at all. It was a cracker. 
We attended the game & the whole experience of the trip was brilliant.
- We had a pre-match pint in the Wellington near the ground half expecting it to be reasonably quiet with just a few rugby fans in. It was buzzing & absolutely packed with rugby fans - the vast majority which were locals.
- We got chatting to two Bristol lads in there whose fav sport was RL.
- The crowd was awesome.
- We were stood close to where Craig Preistly scored to make it 28 -20. What a try! 

Only got back at 2.30am so was cream crackered this morning - but it was worth every penny & every second.
Cannot wait for the next game.

I ended up in the Wellington for a celebratory pint about 90 minutes after the game finished. Cracking boozer, and after the success of the evening the pint of Gem I had tasted particularly sweet.

Like yourself, I didn't get to bed until nearly 3am. I was absolutely buzzing and couldn't sleep, so fired up the Tivo box and watched the recording of Premier Sports coverage. I got a bit of a shock when I heard Dave Woods and Nobby discussing the finer points of the Sonics' formation in the George in Filton back in 2002!

I've spent most of today in a bit of a daze. The fact that so many people enjoyed it, and it was such a great occasion, makes it even more special. Being an RL enthusiast outside the heartlands can be a demoralising experience at times, especially when you're running an amateur club, but last night totally vindicated all of the difficult times we've been through to get here.

Phil C went on BBC Radio Bristol earlier to talk about the game (bizarrely, he was on straight after Ed Milliband!). He did a great job in encouraging people excited by last night to get involved with Rugby League in Bristol, and also promoting the World Cup tournament. It was also heartening to see a really positive piece by George Riley on the BBC Sport website.

Whatever happens in the rest of the World Cup, we can be proud that Bristol played its part. That's something I never thought I'd say, certainly a few years ago.

I chatted to someone high up in Bristol City Council earlier today. They're chuffed at how the game went and what great promotion it was for the city. They've not ruled out bidding for more international RL matches in future should the opportunity arise. That in itself is great news, I think. Their financial investment in hosting the game was relatively small (I'm not sure of the exact figures, but I'd guess less than 25,000 from the moment of bidding moment to last night) and they've more than made that back in the econimic impact on the city of last night.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#228 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

It was also heartening to see a really positive piece by George Riley on the BBC Sport website.

I have just read that; excellent piece! The final two sentences are extremely powerful in my opinion and some up everything good about this competition:

"To see Bristol take to rugby league was inspiring. To see full-time professionals competing for nothing other than a love of and debt to rugby league, proves romance is alive and well in sport too."

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#229 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

I keep saying this but we have a lot to be proud of in RL and Bristol showed what can be achieved off the back of imaginative planning and a small budget

People want ownership of something that can show a bit of spirit and include them in a way that most other sports can't anymore because they have gone so corporate and money orientated

RL really needs to keep this common touch as part of its appeal because people really do respond to it, even if money comes back into the sport off the back of RLWC

The Cooks and USA have spent time talking to anyone that would listen I understand, they have been approachable and cooperative and everyone has enjoyed the experience

Imagine a competitive local team with that sort of attitude rooted in its own community - in this case a huge city where sport has never realised its potential over the last decade or so - with a link to a couple of RLWC stars and a SL team

Media media media - JJB is going to be presenting at the Gloucester sports awards, local press all over it, as an example, local media cry out for stories linked to anything vaguely national in profile and its relatively cheap to do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users