Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

30/10/13: World Cup Match 7 - USA v Cook Islands

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. USA by 13 points or more (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

2. USA by 7 to 12 points (7 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. USA by 1 to 6 points (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Cook Islands by 1 to 6 points (8 votes [22.86%])

Percentage of vote: 22.86%

6. Cook Islands by 7 to 12 points (9 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

7. Cook Islands by 13 points or more (5 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

This is part of what makes the World Cup so exciting for me is games like this were its hard to pridict again you would say the cooks but after USA win and couple of players to come in who know, I'll go for close win for the cooks

#22 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

Had a chance to watch the Cooks training up close today - some brutal conditioning going on, and the weights they were lifting in the gym were massive. The reporters from BBC local radio and TV were certainly impressed.

All seems to be hotting up here - more promotional events over the weekend and lots more interview requests rolling in. Seems like interest is growing.

Captain Zeb Taia and some of the other lads visited Mangotsfield School today, which went down well - both secondary and primary age kids got some coaching and were allowed to ask questions during a Q&A. Lots of enthusiasm from the kids, who mobbed the team coach as it left. All great stuff! When we started the Sonics 11 years ago, I never thought I'd see anything like this on our patch!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#23 Phil C

Phil C
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

There are buses from outside Temple Meads/across the road that go up Gloucester Road (the Mem is just off Glos Road). Or, change at Temple Meads and get a train to Montpellier station, walk down to Gloucester Rd (a couple of minutes) and get a bus (5/10 mins depending on traffic) up the road and get off by the "Mem".

Those are probably the best options. There's a good real ale boozer near the ground - The Wellington, I think it's called. Bath Ales place.

It is indeed. Lots of good real ale boozers in the area. The Annexe next to the cricket ground is recommended and does great pizzas. The Inn on the Green opposite Horfield Sports Centre is also excellent. A bit further down Gloucester Rd the Robin Hood Retreat and The Prince of Wales are worth a visit. 

Plenty of places along Gloucester Rd to eat as well.

#24 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Looking forward to this game.

How long do you reckon it'll take to get back to Temple Meads after the game? I need to be on the half ten train to Paddington, as we're off to the Avignon game and have a flight to France from Luton at six on Thursday morning. Squeaky bum time, maybe!

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#25 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

Had a chance to watch the Cooks training up close today - some brutal conditioning going on, and the weights they were lifting in the gym were massive. The reporters from BBC local radio and TV were certainly impressed.

All seems to be hotting up here - more promotional events over the weekend and lots more interview requests rolling in. Seems like interest is growing.

Captain Zeb Taia and some of the other lads visited Mangotsfield School today, which went down well - both secondary and primary age kids got some coaching and were allowed to ask questions during a Q&A. Lots of enthusiasm from the kids, who mobbed the team coach as it left. All great stuff! When we started the Sonics 11 years ago, I never thought I'd see anything like this on our patch!

Hope stuff like this makes you believe all your hard graft promoting the game has been worthwhile, come on the TommaRoo's

#26 Phil C

Phil C
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

Looking forward to this game.

How long do you reckon it'll take to get back to Temple Meads after the game? I need to be on the half ten train to Paddington, as we're off to the Avignon game and have a flight to France from Luton at six on Thursday morning. Squeaky bum time, maybe!

Your best bet will be to grab a cab. You'll probably have to leave before full time for a bus to catch that train.

#27 TheBinman

TheBinman
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

Any updates to how sales are going and expected crowd

#28 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

This promises to be an intriguing evening - another mostly newbie crowd I imagine with unfamiliar players and unknown quantity teams. First chance to see fast Eddie P, while Gelling can be a one man entertainment package when he puts his mind to it.

#29 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

I've just screwed up here. Out on the road this week I have to be in Bath late morning Thursday after 2 days in London. Without thinking I decided to stay on in London and now can't change my booking - would have loved to have seen this match. :fie:

#30 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:39 PM

I'll be travelling in from London (Northwood) and will be flying solo so if anyone needs a lift back etc, let me know. Happy to help out!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#31 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Any updates to how sales are going and expected crowd

Not officially, though the numbers I've heard are very good and we're expecting a decent walk-up, so I'd expect it to be pretty good. Sales apparently very brisk last week - big surge, which is great.
www.bristolsonics.com

#32 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Do we know how many tickets have been sold for this?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#33 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:03 AM

Do we know how many tickets have been sold for this?

I've already answered this one. Basically, no official figures have been released, but suffice to say the heads-up I've been given suggests that sales have been going incredibly well over the last week. We should be looking at a bigger crowd than many expected, and a decent one at that. The weather is supposedly set fair and we expect a decent walk-up to boost figures as well.

So, basically, wait and see :)
www.bristolsonics.com

#34 dredgie

dredgie
  • Coach
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

How easy/bad*safe is parking around the ground?

#35 Phil C

Phil C
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Lots of street parking nearby but can get quite busy. I'd suggest head the other side of the Gloucester Rd and park off Kellaway Ave. About a 5 minute walk from the ground.

#36 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Over 5k would be a huge achievement given that this is perhaps the hardest fixture to sell

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

I hope Dylan Nappa goes well, he is one for the future.

#38 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:12 PM

I've already answered this one. Basically, no official figures have been released, but suffice to say the heads-up I've been given suggests that sales have been going incredibly well over the last week. We should be looking at a bigger crowd than many expected, and a decent one at that. The weather is supposedly set fair and we expect a decent walk-up to boost figures as well.

So, basically, wait and see :)

Sorry was rushing.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#39 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

Sorry was rushing.

Ticket sales story in the Bristol Evening Post tomorrow, I think. Figure being banded around is impressive. According to "sources" two sides of the ground are sold out, with another (standing) looking like it might be pretty packed as well. There's one side (the one they're filmimg from) closed as it stands, but they'll open if there's enough demand.

At an estimate, I'd say easily over 5,000. Could still be higher.
www.bristolsonics.com

#40 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

Some words about Rugby League's rise in Bristol over the last decade, which hopefully should put into context what a remarkable story it is that we have a RLWC match in the city: http://www.bristolso...ise-in-bristol/
www.bristolsonics.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users