Photo
- - - - -

Will we see a settled half back pairing at Hull FC in the near future?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

I agree that it seemsan odd time to be thinking about this, given that all of Hull must surely be queuing to attend the World Cup matches there (its being a r l mad city after all), but I agree with whoever suggested Powell or O'Brien. I think these are both going to be excellent players - old fashioned organisers - and wonder where they are in the pecking order at their clubs. A few years ago Powell would be destined to step into Smith/Green's shoes the year after next, but Hampshire and Williams are so good that may never happen. He is good enough now to be playing every week.

I like O'Brien nearly as much. A similar proposition, a proper league half back. I am guessing that they have ear marked him to play alongside Myler, and I think that could work. Myler has some very great strengths but he isn't an organiser and I think frankly never will be. Outside an organiser, with a crafty half back he could still cause a lot of damage.

If I were Hull, I would break the bank for Powell.

They'll sign Brady Nomark from Penrith reserves regardless.

#22 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

I agree that it seemsan odd time to be thinking about this, given that all of Hull must surely be queuing to attend the World Cup matches there (its being a r l mad city after all), but I agree with whoever suggested Powell or O'Brien. I think these are both going to be excellent players - old fashioned organisers - and wonder where they are in the pecking order at their clubs. A few years ago Powell would be destined to step into Smith/Green's shoes the year after next, but Hampshire and Williams are so good that may never happen. He is good enough now to be playing every week.

I like O'Brien nearly as much. A similar proposition, a proper league half back. I am guessing that they have ear marked him to play alongside Myler, and I think that could work. Myler has some very great strengths but he isn't an organiser and I think frankly never will be. Outside an organiser, with a crafty half back he could still cause a lot of damage.

If I were Hull, I would break the bank for Powell.

They'll sign Brady Nomark from Penrith reserves regardless.

This 'don't you know there's a World Cup on?' stuff sounds like Hodges off Dad's Army.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#23 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Great idea.

We have got our own ground ...Craven Park, no more rents to the KC and Hull return to their roots east of the river

We have got an experienced top 8 coach...Craig Sandercock, the pub landlord can be his assistant

We can get rid of some deadwood ie Ellis Miller Paea most of the rest have already gone or are going

We can have a Chairman who actually loves his club, goodbye Mr Pearson

We can merge with the Allams Hull City and their money to form a Sporting Club

We have the obvious merged name HULL ....KINGSTON ROVERS

Dreamland!

I have to pick you up on that, Steve. Hull's roots are very much west of the River Hull, as are Hull KR's of course.

The rest of it I just couldn't fault.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#24 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

Get him back to spearhead a new merged side in a brave new franchised Super League.

He would jump at it.

The fans deserve it.

Lots of you will scoff but this could very easily happen, and it most certainly should. I for one would be delighted if it did.

Seriously, do we have to put up with this on every thread that mentions Hull or Hull KR?
Posted Image

#25 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

I have to pick you up on that, Steve. Hull's roots are very much west of the River Hull, as are Hull KR's of course.

The rest of it I just couldn't fault.

Dave, Hull FC were an East Hull team when they were formed. Don't you remember TC's talk?

But if we're turning back the clock, it took KR a long time to join the Northern Union. Perhaps they'd like to return to the dark side of rugby union? ;-)

Edited by Mistress_Marlowe, 23 October 2013 - 09:33 PM.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#26 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Dave, Hull FC were an East Hull team when they were formed. Don't you remember TC's talk?

But if we're turning back the clock, it took KR a long time to join the Northern Union. Perhaps they'd like to return to the dark side of rugby union? ;-)

I do remember TC's excellent talk, Vik, but Hull weren't an East Hull team when they were formed. They were briefly based in East Hull just before the Northern Union breakaway but their early homes were all west of the river. As far west as Selby in fact.

I think Tony made it clear why KR took so long to join the Northern Union. Ever the opportuntists ;)

#27 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

I would like them to sign Joe Mellor - just for the reaction of VW.

nay nay and thrice nay...........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#28 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

I do remember TC's excellent talk, Vik, but Hull weren't an East Hull team when they were formed. They were briefly based in East Hull just before the Northern Union breakaway but their early homes were all west of the river. As far west as Selby in fact.

I think Tony made it clear why KR took so long to join the Northern Union. Ever the opportuntists ;)

It depends what you mean by roots I suppose! We were nomadic at first. One to discuss over a beer, in case we don't have a ready excuse anyway! :-D

Edited by Mistress_Marlowe, 24 October 2013 - 08:49 PM.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#29 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

It depends what you mean by roots I suppose! We were nomadic at first. One to discuss over a beer, in case we don't have a ready excuse anyway! :-D

Ah, I see what you're getting at now.

Beer? Who needs an excuse?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users