Rugby League World Cup 2017 Tours – Register Your Interest Now!
Join TotalRL.com, League Express & Rugby League World at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup in Australia, New Zealand & Papua New Guinea! Click here for more info

Rugby League World
FREE 2016 Fixture Guide
League Express

Rugby League Yearbook 2015-2016

Photo
- - - - -

England rumours

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
378 replies to this topic

#361 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 18,913 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

We must assume that there is a drinking ban as there is a feeling that it affects people's performance (it definitely does for me!).

The other 6 players had a decent defence that it didn't affect their performance. They could apologise, say it won't happen again, but it didn;t affect them that much.

Hock unfortunately didn;t have that defence as it did affect him and he couldn't even make it out of bed to training in the week of the biggest game of the year!

#362 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

With the greatest respect

###### off

Great input. Thanks for that.

I have an opinion, I expressed it. I will remember to ask you for permission before I do that again.

#363 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

You are losing it pal, people missing work due to being drunk is a sackable offence, and rightly so. I doubt you will find many places where this is acceptable behaviour.

Do you work in an environment with world class athletes? Do you have any clue how to deal with people like this?

If you think that your place of work bears any resemblance to a training camp containing elite athletes, then I am not the only one losing it.

What happens now if 15 of the squad decide to have a quick drink next week, and 10 of them don't get up for work? I presume you will be hoping for a call up.

#364 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,459 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

Do you work in an environment with world class athletes? Do you have any clue how to deal with people like this?

If you think that your place of work bears any resemblance to a training camp containing elite athletes, then I am not the only one losing it.

What happens now if 15 of the squad decide to have a quick drink next week, and 10 of them don't get up for work? I presume you will be hoping for a call up.

Just to input a little, if I remember rightly Hock said the agreement was zero alcohol until after the Australia game.

Bash it or use it as a weapon, I'm just adding it for a bit of substance.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#365 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

CUT OUT THE SWEARING, FOLKS!

Do NOT rely on the swear filter on here to replace your obscenities with hashtags, and DO NOT use asterisks to disguise other obvious obscenities or attempt to use other characters to achieve the same result.

It is NOT acceptable on here.

Any more, and suspensions will start getting issued until the message gets through.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

www.johndrake.co.uk

#366 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 31,138 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Just to input a little, if I remember rightly Hock said the agreement was zero alcohol until after the Australia game.

Bash it or use it as a weapon, I'm just adding it for a bit of substance.

The Australian Olympics team will have a similar ban in place in 2016 apparently.

It is believed one of the reasons they didn't so so well in 2012 was they enjoyed the sauce a bit too much to train and focus properly.

"That's it: eat my shoes and sing me Wagner"
The Penny Dreadfuls

#367 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 806 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

CUT OUT THE SWEARING, FOLKS!

Do NOT rely on the swear filter on here to replace your obscenities with hashtags, and DO NOT use asterisks to disguise other obvious obscenities or attempt to use other characters to achieve the same result.

It is NOT acceptable on here.

Any more, and suspensions will start getting issued until the message gets through.

Apologies John. Will cut it out. As mother used to say "there are enough words in our beautiful language to say what we mean without using filth like that...."

#368 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 6,491 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

Are you saying it is more acceptable for world class athletes to miss work for being drunk than a normal person?

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#369 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,459 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

Apologies John. Will cut it out. As mother used to say "there are enough words in our beautiful language to say what we mean without using filth like that...."

Any examples?

:lol:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#370 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 21,709 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

You seem unconcerned that our elite players would have anything on their minds than winning this tournament. I hope that it is all they are thinking about. With perhaps the odd break to watch coronation street.

100 Punks Rule

#371 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

Alcohol and elite RL performance do not go together..there was an agreed drink ban..Hock (and the others) deserve their punishment without question.

The fact that they even thought they could flout the rules whilst playing for the national team raises questions with regards the coaching and management, and the players mentality regarding same.

Elite international teams aiming to be the best in their field should have elite coaches and management....

Edited by Marty Funkhouser, 24 October 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#372 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

I love how we've got a bloke on about his twentieth incarnation on here trying to wind everyone up in the same way his previous nineteen did, and the moderating note is about a few asterisks instead of swearwords.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#373 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 18,913 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Alcohol and elite RL performance do not go together..there was an agreed drink ban..Hock (and the others) deserve their punishment without question.

The fact that they even thought they could flout the rules whilst playing for the national team raises questions with regards the coaching and management, and the players mentality regarding same.

Elite international teams aiming to be the best in their field should have elite coaches and management....

I agree to an extent, but the reality is that often some of our top players are, erm, let's say not always the brightest.

They are young lads and sometimes need reigning in. Let's be honest, we could simply be talking about a couple of pints with food.

Disappointing, but a slap on the wrists and a heavy reprimand is probably the right punishment, unless you don;t then turn up to training in what should be one of the biggest weeks of your career.

#374 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,459 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

I love how we've got a bloke on about his twentieth incarnation on here trying to wind everyone up in the same way his previous nineteen did, and the moderating note is about a few asterisks instead of swearwords.

Does the fact Hock is still, for now, a Wigan player explain this?

Or have I got my reincarnations mixed up?

I've never seen Being John Malkovich but I imagine it's something like TRL.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#375 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hock and the others could have quite easily gone to Steve McNamara and asked him if they could have a couple of beers in private due to the loss, who knows he might have said yes, but they chose to go off-site and show a complete lack of respect to him and what the England team is trying to achieve.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#376 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Your strawman arguments are hilariously poor, up your game.

Edited by dkw, 24 October 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#377 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hock and the others could have quite easily gone to Steve McNamara and asked him if they could have a couple of beers in private due to the loss, who knows he might have said yes, but they chose to go off-site and show a complete lack of respect to him and what the England team is trying to achieve.

Now that would mean being "mature" sensible people in the first place as distinct from a set of giggling school kids sneaking around.

#378 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 11,356 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

Hock Hick Haec.

;)

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#379 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 806 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hickory, Dickory, Hock,
Got purchased by the Doc,
Now his contracts in doubt,
Macca thinks he's a lout
History, Derisory, Hock