Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England rumours

• Please log in to reply
378 replies to this topic

#81 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

I feel plenty of anti-McDermott bile rising whenever I see those Baz n' Tez features, but fortunately I haven't seen Boots n' All for years.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#82 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Thank goodness for that! I was fearing that the build-up of anti- McDermott bile in some posters was going to do them serious harm unless it could find an outlet. So, now that it has,  please  ###### off and convalesce until the WC is over?

A fresh angle on the England build up is always welcome.

#83 Stick to the Fax

Stick to the Fax
  • Coach
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Being slightly cynical...............

just wondering if Gareth Hock can qualify for Scotland, Wales or Eire.................... or the Cook islands??

We might see him yet!!!

#84 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Red mist descended so I could not see the keyboard. Usual offensive ###### from the anti McNamara brigade

Mods - he's swearing again! This is a serious breach of discipline and I expect him to be replaced by Wendall by the morning.

#85 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

A Leeds player says the Leeds captain is super-ace when asked how super-ace his captain is. It's as credible as the golden boot award.

well I guess they could have always had Peacock during his 7 years at the club instead but have always chosen Sinfield. Although any successful team needs leaders across the team... hopefully England have that as well and as such one person being nominated as the captain won't make any difference given that the team should have leadership from a number of players.    Anyway my implied point was in response to the need of some to constantly snipe.

#86 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

I have no idea what McDermott has to do with anything. Barrie or Brian?

Terry. Calm down, calm down.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#87 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

Sam Burgess

the question was in relation to whom would the poster pick to replace Hock as he didn't rate Ferris...  I'm assuming you thought the question was related to captain.  Personally I don't know the players nor played with them to suggest who would make a good captain as it also depends what type of captain you want. I guess Sam Burgess would be somewhat like a Jamie Peacock type captain, that is influences through his own drive and effort in the field. A good candidate if ever the coach needs to change.

#88 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

Tony Hannan on Twitter retweeting tweet from a NW Tonight sports reporter saying that apparently some players aren't happy at Gareth Hock's dismissal. 

What a shame.  Just four days to go after a brilliant build up and all that hard work and expense for fans and everyone else and the players threaten to mess it all up.

#89 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 957 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

I reckon all this, combined with the Italy defeat, is going to go one of two ways.

Either England will be a complete shower on Saturday and never recover, or they will surprise us all and turn the Aussies over in a dominant display.

#90 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

Being slightly cynical...............

just wondering if Gareth Hock can qualify for Scotland, Wales or Eire.................... or the Cook islands??

We might see him yet!!!

I don't think so.  Do you seriously think for one minute that the nation that produced Boston, J Sullivan, C Sullivan, Risman, Mills, Davies et al would stoop to selecting that unsavoury individual for the Welsh national side.  We want to win the original Rugby World Cup as much as the other teams, but we'll keep our integrity thanks.

#91 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

I reckon all this, combined with the Italy defeat, is going to go one of two ways.

Either England will be a complete shower on Saturday and never recover, or they will surprise us all and turn the Aussies over in a dominant display.

What did you drink during the comma between recover and or, send me two pints.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#92 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Tony Hannan on Twitter retweeting tweet from a NW Tonight sports reporter saying that apparently some players aren't happy at Gareth Hock's dismissal. 

What a shame.  Just four days to go after a brilliant build up and all that hard work and expense for fans and everyone else and the players threaten to mess it all up.

is that unhappy at the fact there was a need to dismiss him (bu they accept it was the right decision)  or unhappy that he was dismissed when they didn't think he should...

In other words is it a reporter trying to get his headline and hence his bonus and being a little misleading  or is it for real... I couldn't imagine any players being happy with the situation but that wouldn't mean they thought he shouldn't have been dismissed.

#93 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

I don't think so.  Do you seriously think for one minute that the nation that produced Boston, J Sullivan, C Sullivan, Risman, Mills, Davies et al would stoop to selecting that unsavoury individual for the Welsh national side.  We want to win the original Rugby World Cup as much as the other teams, but we'll keep our integrity thanks.

I wish McNamara had taken the same view! 

#94 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

is that unhappy at the fact there was a need to dismiss him (bu they accept it was the right decision)  or unhappy that he was dismissed when they didn't think he should...

In other words is it a reporter trying to get his headline and hence his bonus and being a little misleading  or is it for real... I couldn't imagine any players being happy with the situation but that wouldn't mean they thought he shouldn't have been dismissed.

The tweet just said that some were unhappy with Hock's dismissal but no further detail

That this has happened is a great shame.

Edited by Saintslass, 22 October 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#95 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,731 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

Posts 2, 4, 10, 36, 41, 47.

Typical.

The only time my bloody lottery numbers come out and it's on here.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#96 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

:laugh:  :laugh:

That'll be £2,please.

#97 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,635 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Nothing to do with that at all. Although it is true to say that I don't think his ability warrants his place in the national team.

In fact, appointing him captain has caused more problems than it has solved. I think it is a very different situation being the leader of a team that only comes together every so often. You don't always have the time to build respect, so you need to choose someone who has a forceful personality, allied with great skill as a player. Sinfield has neither.

how do you know he hasnt a forceful personality?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#98 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Typical.

The only time my bloody lottery numbers come out and it's on here.

:laugh:  :laugh:

#99 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

I don't see how this can be that much of an issue. If anything it'll bind the team together. Ferres is a good player, and deserves a place.
We have the 2 Sams, Graham, Burgess, Roby and Lockers to draw on as well as Sinny - I have absolutely no doubt that they have the strength of character to be ready and firing on all cylinders on Saturday. There is a long tradition of troubles in camps not putting teams off the boil on the field. If Hock is in nutter mode, getting rid is the way to go.
We'll be fine.

#100 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

I don't think so. Do you seriously think for one minute that the nation that produced Boston, J Sullivan, C Sullivan, Risman, Mills, Davies et al would stoop to selecting that unsavoury individual for the Welsh national side. We want to win the original Rugby World Cup as much as the other teams, but we'll keep our integrity thanks.

Yes I think it was meant tongue in cheek!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users