Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

london broncos

whats happening

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:06 AM

Whats happening with the broncos all you hear is players leaving. Do the RFL KNOW  and are keeping the news quiet until after the world cup. If so why ? Will they make the starting gate in super league 2014 or will they drop down a league ? if so will any one in the other leagues be promoted or relegated to make way for them ? All this talk of league restructuring cant help any club in any league. World cup ends in November while super 2014 starts in February  so just three months to sort the line up of super league. If London are not going to make the starting gate this is far too short notice to prepare another club to step up to the league.    

Chief Crazy Eagle

#2 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

Fixtures for SL are normally out first week in November, is this still the case.  This will probably indicate if they are continuing?

#3 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think the deals done, and Lenaghan is upset not because he is a selfish idiot (which he has been made to appear and possibly is) but rather he knows there will be only 12 teams in superleague next year and 12 beneath, the 3X8 set up is all ready to run, and he cant stop it.

My concern is who the other club is that's dropped down, and after some of the things said and done at Wakey and possibly Widnes (Steve Oconnor has been very quiet since he advertised the club for sale) it wouldn't surprise me to see a very strong superleague 2 next year

And to get it a year early would be a coup for the RFL, especially if they can retain some of the sponsors they have for the RLWC.

The championship teams have strengthened - see some of the signings at Fev and retention at Sheffield - and I understand Toulouse have said earlier in the year they will jump in whenever they are given the opportunity - plenty of sport politics being played out in the background.

New RLWC sponsors to be announced before Saturday as well according to the RLWC website

Very interesting times.

#4 Dean

Dean
  • Coach
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

I can't see how the Broncos will have a team next year, especially if a player like O'Callaghan is signing for Skolars. The last thing the RFL needs is for all this to come out in the lead-up to the RLWC so I imagine we won't hear anything until after the World Cup is over,

#5 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

I think the deals done, and Lenaghan is upset not because he is a selfish idiot (which he has been made to appear and possibly is) but rather he knows there will be only 12 teams in superleague next year and 12 beneath, the 3X8 set up is all ready to run, and he cant stop it.

My concern is who the other club is that's dropped down, and after some of the things said and done at Wakey and possibly Widnes (Steve Oconnor has been very quiet since he advertised the club for sale) it wouldn't surprise me to see a very strong superleague 2 next year

And to get it a year early would be a coup for the RFL, especially if they can retain some of the sponsors they have for the RLWC.

The championship teams have strengthened - see some of the signings at Fev and retention at Sheffield - and I understand Toulouse have said earlier in the year they will jump in whenever they are given the opportunity - plenty of sport politics being played out in the background.

New RLWC sponsors to be announced before Saturday as well according to the RLWC website

Very interesting times.

Next year?

It's time to park the camels.

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

I can't see how the Broncos will have a team next year, especially if a player like O'Callaghan is signing for Skolars. The last thing the RFL needs is for all this to come out in the lead-up to the RLWC so I imagine we won't hear anything until after the World Cup is over,

I can't see it either.  Last time someone counted we had four signed players.  'London' would be needing loan signings from every other team.

And a ground.  They need that too.

And some money.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

And some fans too would be nice.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#8 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have seen or heard nothing about the academy and players like Krasniqi moving on. There were 10 London born/raised academy players used last year other than the ones that left, all having a game here and there, the Broncos were at times almost at pains to point this out

The coach still seems to be around

The Skolars aren't big enough to run as the main London club

Any bets on a very young Broncos team dropping down a league playing out of Gillingham?

And a potential merger in the next 2 or 3?

#9 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

A World Cup with a "Let's push this sport on" message.

A flagship club in our capital city that is utterly friendless at the RFL and being allowed to rot.

Only in rugby league.

#10 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Not sure its being left to rot

If I had the money and wanted a 'new' sport to invest in then I think the Broncos, a known brand, would be easy to pick up cheap

Its always been a question of where to play, they need a ground

And in terms of new investment the 3X8 would be very tempting - a cheap sports team gets to play the lower echelons of super league and with the right investment might even crawl into super league 1 and get half a season against the big boys - cut your cloth to suit time

The real selling point is that academy - remember its the pinnacle of the game in the south east and has won an academy grand final so there is a lot of potential there

A crafty investor would look to run this as a business which could actually run successfully  -  as usual the only thing that would kill it is over aspiration

#11 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

They already have a couple of sponsors in place as well

I would love to know what the RFL have tried to do in those 'talks' that were reported a month ago and have now gone really quiet

#12 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

And the Broncos were involved in the talks about restructuring so there is still; something there

#13 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

I would be amazed in the Broncos were playing in Super League in the 2014 season. I see them playing in the championship with mainly London Born players.

The whole situation has been handled very poorly by certain parties and i think we have seen the last of any Super League team from London or inside the M25 area.

When the official discision is announced it will a terrible day for Rugby League in the UK in my opinion for the fact that we will be the only front line sport in the UK without a club from London in its flagship competition.

#14 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

I would be amazed in the Broncos were playing in Super League in the 2014 season. I see them playing in the championship with mainly London Born players.

The whole situation has been handled very poorly by certain parties and i think we have seen the last of any Super League team from London or inside the M25 area.

When the official discision is announced it will a terrible day for Rugby League in the UK in my opinion for the fact that we will be the only front line sport in the UK without a club from London in its flagship competition.

So a 15 team Championship next year (there's no chance a Championship club should be allowed up with a few months notice).

There would have to be a "bye" week for the clubs but at least it would be 2 extra games to bring the coffers in. 

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#15 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

So a 15 team Championship next year (there's no chance a Championship club should be allowed up with a few months notice).

There would have to be a "bye" week for the clubs but at least it would be 2 extra games to bring the coffers in. 

Like i said the whole Broncos situation has been handled very poorly by certain parties. I am not alone in thinking that the RFL want the Broncos out of Super League for reasons best known to themselves. We cant find a worthwhile sponsor now for Super League with a team from London in it who wants to pay the going price (Whatever that is) let alone without a team from London.

#16 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:10 PM

Very interesting times.

I was hearing in July that it would be 12 teams in 2014. London being one of the teams going

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#17 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

I was hearing in July that it would be 12 teams in 2014. London being one of the teams going

The interesting part is who goes with London?

I thought at one time it woulld be Bradford, but lately the RFL seem to have given a lot of vocal support to them. If you held a gun to my head i would say its a toss up between Wakefield and Widnes.

#18 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

I thought at one time it woulld be Bradford, but lately the RFL seem to have given a lot of vocal support to them. If you held a gun to my head i would say its a toss up between Wakefield and Widnes.

The other one that I was hearing is in that list

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#19 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

The other one that I was hearing is in that list

One would assume it's Wakey, given their money troubles.

Can't see them reducing to 12 at this late stage though

#20 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

why not castleford or salford? widnes are on a secure financial footing mate and are continuing to build. we will be in super league without a doubt.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users