Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

london broncos

whats happening

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

why not castleford or salford? widnes are on a secure financial footing mate and are continuing to build. we will be in super league without a doubt.

Isn't the Widnes club for sale because the owner wants out?

David Hughes at London has through his own money made the club debt free, but the RFL want them out of Super League. Perhaps because David Hughes appears to be in a Mexican stand off with the RFL. A discision i think the RFL will regret in time.

Salford's new owner is a very rich man and is prepared to spend big. The RFL want a bigger precence in that part of Manchester and see the doc as the man who can give them that precence.

Castleford will stay in Super League if Wakefield are cut.

#22 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

I can't see how the Broncos will have a team next year, especially if a player like O'Callaghan is signing for Skolars. The last thing the RFL needs is for all this to come out in the lead-up to the RLWC so I imagine we won't hear anything until after the World Cup is over,

Perhaps Hughes, ****ed off at the lack of support from the RFL, will anounce the demise of the club during the world cup to cause bad publicity.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#23 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

So a 15 team Championship next year (there's no chance a Championship club should be allowed up with a few months notice).

There would have to be a "bye" week for the clubs but at least it would be 2 extra games to bring the coffers in. 

Hmmm, this after the RFL announces the cessation of the NRC in 2014 - the plot thickens!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#24 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

And some fans too would be nice.

steady!

#25 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

Fixtures for SL are normally out first week in November, is this still the case.  This will probably indicate if they are continuing?

Midnight on 8th December if all had gone to plan

A World Cup with a "Let's push this sport on" message.

A flagship club in our capital city that is utterly friendless at the RFL and being allowed to rot.

Only in rugby league.

True the club's demise will leave a lasting legacy for the sport and not a positive one and true the RFL under "traditionalist" rule wants to return to the 1960's but it also has to be acknowledged that the current ownership and management of the club along with the players have been the primary architects of the clubs downfall.

And some fans too would be nice.

Many a true word posted in jest. It is hard to believe even with a successful world cup that there is much of a fanbase remaining now. It is reminiscent of the London Knights Ice Hockey club's demise and look at how well the elite hockey league is doing... Still I suppose somewhere there is a hockey thread entitled "Sheffield Steelers looking good"

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#26 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

David Hughes at London has through his own money made the club debt free, but the RFL want them out of Super League. Perhaps because David Hughes appears to be in a Mexican stand off with the RFL. A discision i think the RFL will regret in time.
Salford's new owner is a very rich man and is prepared to spend big. The RFL want a bigger precence in that part of Manchester and see the doc as the man who can give them that precence.

steve o'connor still holds the majority share holding, the actual announcement was to encourage new investment in the club hence we have 4 new board members who are investing in the club along side steve, the is not for sale end of story...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#27 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

I was hearing in July that it would be 12 teams in 2014. London being one of the teams going

The big big fear could be the rfl returning to the heart lands with London going and if going to twelve could catalan be the other to go

Chief Crazy Eagle

#28 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:04 AM

The big big fear could be the rfl returning to the heart lands with London going and if going to twelve could catalan be the other to go

I'm in the camp that thinks in 5 years time that there won't be any professional or semi professional clubs in the UK south of the Trent and that the even the top clubs will be part time.

#29 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:27 AM

I'm in the camp that thinks in 5 years time that there won't be any professional or semi professional clubs in the UK south of the Trent and that the even the top clubs will be part time.

That has got to be the fear.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#30 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

That might be your fear, and it might be mine too, but some people actively want that to happen. How many times have we heard people say that the game can't support a full-time professional competition? These same people would rather see us spread our limited resources over 24 clubs and end up with a semi-pro comp, just so that some mid-level clubs can get to play in the top league - regardless of the standard of that league. Seeing our best players then disappear to the NRL and rugby union is a price they'll happily pay for that vision.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#31 willy

willy
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

No chance, the six that walked out last night are set up to be professional, and have independent funds, so in that respect as much as I hate supporting anything that doesn't appear to be 'for the good of the game' I accept that as a sport we are undersold, under marketed and quite simply rubbish at selling the game. If you were a professional set up you would want to know big brother, the RFL in this case, was as good at what you do locally, but at a national level.

I recall the giants wanted an 8-10 team super league, and I think Warrington wanted that as well, an idea that was rejected overall. They don't want 28 matches a year clearly, and I think that is because the owners carry the teams so although the match fees are important its more important to get season passes sold. All the chairmen have said in the last year season tickets are what counts and at the Giants there are loads of spin off's and money off vouchers that go with one. So less matches aren't the issue for those clubs.

What is the issue appears to be the lack of any other income that they generate alone, and that is the single biggest fear I have, no major sponsors a la NRL means we have gone back to 1994 when only Wigan were truly full time, the only progress has been we now have 5 or 6 teams that could stay full time.

The progress has been on the field in many ways, off the field there is now a major block to progress because some teams have naturally outstripped others. I understand the good of the game argument but if you run a full time business I don't think that holds water. All the team sponsors at super league level have local connections, even where they are national players so its the local branch effectively sponsoring a team. There's no real money in that. If you look at soccer or RU they have national sponsors. Big difference and that's the issue, how to sell the competition.

I do think the 3X8 system would be worthwhile if the draw was made more appealing and possible seeded which would reduce the top tier games between the top 8, which seems to be a sticking point. The only alternative is three divisions of 10, 2 up 2 down every year, which as I noted above has already been rejected. Although thinking about it, the make up of the comp might be a red herring, its the long term sustainability of a competition that's the issue here.

Ken Davy is no mug and I would imagine the Warrington board aren't idiots either, and Pearson at Hull is a ruthless business man. So its no longer just Leneghan, and I am a little surprised Koukash didn't side with them, possibly because his mate at Saints and Hetherington might have his ear.

Leeds are a bit odd because they have a shed load of central funding from the RFU for Leeds Rugby and run/own both teams, plus they make a year on year profit. So perhaps they can afford largesse.

Can anyone recall superleague Europe kicking off in a similar way?

#32 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

That might be your fear, and it might be mine too, but some people actively want that to happen. How many times have we heard people say that the game can't support a full-time professional competition? These same people would rather see us spread our limited resources over 24 clubs and end up with a semi-pro comp, just so that some mid-level clubs can get to play in the top league - regardless of the standard of that league. Seeing our best players then disappear to the NRL and rugby union is a price they'll happily pay for that vision.

Brilliantly put.

The blood of the sport will not just be on the hands of the RFL but also the hands of the stubborn fans of Featherstone, Halifax, Leigh and their ilk who simply would not man up and move on.

#33 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

the return of P&R will be the death knell for the game. especially for london. with licensing they can hava a chance to re-group and rebuild the club without the fear of going down,
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#34 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

been hearing talk like this for 60 years, the game is a fantastic product, never bettered by any other sport.

#35 Doghead

Doghead
  • Coach
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

the return of P&R will be the death knell for the game. especially for london. with licensing they can hava a chance to re-group and rebuild the club without the fear of going down,

They are in favour of the new structure, they will find "their" level in the new format, and then hopefully rebuild.

Edited by Doghead, 24 October 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#36 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

They are in favour of the new structure, they will find "their" level in the new format, and then hopefully rebuild.

They are looking for a series of concessions from the RFL, ranging from an increased number of overseas players through to the RFL running and funding the academy. They also like the idea of reducing stadium criteria because that would mean they could move to Barnet. That's why they're supporting the RFL.

I'd also suggest that there are clear political reasons why Bradford are supporting the RFL.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#37 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,934 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

Interesting, at lower level an effective academy could be the platform for some success. They'd need to have the money for them to stay though??

#38 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,934 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

They are looking for a series of concessions from the RFL, ranging from an increased number of overseas players through to the RFL running and funding the academy. They also like the idea of reducing stadium criteria because that would mean they could move to Barnet.

Interesting again. That they are shedding players may not mean impending doom? My word some people will be mega-unhappy if they get those concessions AND survive?

#39 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

I agree 100% with you on that. Some clubs will use P&R as an excuse not to develop juniors.

#40 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Brilliantly put.

The blood of the sport will not just be on the hands of the RFL but also the hands of the stubborn fans of Featherstone, Halifax, Leigh and their ilk who simply would not man up and move on.

The stubborn fans of Featherstone, Halifax, Leigh and their ilk have absolutely no influence on the progress, or otherwise, of the sport; they have not had any influence for two decades. No decisions in the past twenty years have taken them into account, or their wishes and dreams, or the aspirations of their teams. They turn up, or otherwise, to watch their team, under whatever conditions are imposed on them, and no more than that. A few sad, self-centred, small-minded dinosaurs expressing a victim mentality on forums are not bringing down the sport. Look elsewhere to place any blame.

The approaching crisis is a financial one: there is insufficient total income to maintain a sizeable fully professional league, and a supporting structure. Dealing with this is the true issue. Any blood will be on the hands of those who get this wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users