Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup set to break records

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

who was the gent who said we wouldn't exist in 5 years...

:P

He's dead, Rugby League's alive.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#42 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

Mentioned here: http://www.theguardi...gland-australia

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

And the actual 'article' is here: http://www.theguardi...yleague.comment

Sample drivel: "To my mind, these last few months have seen rugby league totally doomed. It is only a matter of time - and not much of that, either - before rugby league in Britain is forced to merge with a voracious union. I give it five years, and that is being generous."

Edited by Futtocks, 23 October 2013 - 02:57 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

the thing I like about ticket sales is that people will be holding back for the quarters and even the final to see who gets there. so I'm assuming there will be a big demand come these games!

#45 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,676 posts

All England need to do is avoid humiliation and we're home and hosed.

Do you know what mate, after cold sweats about nobody turning up to any of the games and the press doing a hatchet job on us before we start this was the least of my worries. Now, this is right up there at the top of the agenda. Can they put it in and do us proud?

#46 Teessidewire

Teessidewire
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'm bouncing now with the thought of what this world cup is going to do for Rugby League in the UK.

Only a few weeks ago i almost gave up on Rugby League after 45 plus years with the way its being run in this country, but this world cup talk has made my enthusiasm return.

No matter how badly it's been run, don't give up on the game. This could just be the spark we've been looking for.

#47 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,946 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Simon Barnes had us in the history books by 2010 I think.

#48 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

ian robertson also said the five year line on when inverdale had the afternoon show on radio five

something along the lines of "when union goes full time after the world cup blah, blah,blah"

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#49 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Simon Barnes had us in the history books by 2010 I think.

ian robertson also said the five year line on when inverdale had the afternoon show on radio five

something along the lines of "when union goes full time after the world cup blah, blah,blah"

Have these guys passed away too?

Something akin to the Curse of Tutankhamun?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#50 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,872 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Have these guys passed away too?

Something akin to the Curse of Tutankhamun?

Nope, still alive, albeit cursed by the ugly stick.

#51 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

No matter how badly it's been run, don't give up on the game. This could just be the spark we've been looking for.

I'm hanging in there for the foreseeable future. I'm a bit concered about this spat between the RFL and some Super League clubs at the moment, but thats for another thread which has already been started.

#52 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

I don't see what's so hard to understand.  The 3x8 is perfectly simple.

I think you're wrong Martyn, time will tell.

Whether its hard to understand or not its the consequences that matter.  I think it would be a mistake but one that is mentioned... playing teams too frequent certainly impacts my thinking, although not my only issue.  Tinkering on the edges with the league structure will not address the fundamental issues the sport has.  It distracts from what really is the issues that need to be addressed.

Although I always get a gazed look and a chuckle or two when I explain to non RL fans... they are bemused. They understand the concept easily enough, they just think its all rather daft.

Edited by redjonn, 23 October 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#53 hutch

hutch
  • Coach
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Mentioned here: http://www.theguardi...gland-australia

What a great article! Reminds you of why you love international rugby league. Some really positive stuff in the press in England at the moment!

#54 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,949 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

What a great article! Reminds you of why you love international rugby league. Some really positive stuff in the press in England at the moment!

Curious how often the French and Vichey is cropping up in these articles, SB's team seam to be plugging this angle, if not then somebody is.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users