Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

S/L meeting

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

So 6 clubs walk out of today's meeting to avoid a vote on the future of the game Very professional of them rugby league gets better no wonder companies dont want to be involved with the game

The RFL need to stand up to them and get it sorted out and soon

#2 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

the RFL MUST stand up to them. a line has been drawn in the sand now. give way now and they may as well clear their desks and leave the building. i hope mr Barwick has the mettle  to deal with these spoilt brats.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#3 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

It is as I said before a take over bid., The RL wants to get its marketing right and move forward. All this is doing is putting people off RL all together. Talk about self interest.

#4 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

If 'the 6' were so convinced of their own arguments why didn't they get the other 8 to agree rather than take their bats home.

In some ways I hope SL do break away - they'll ditch the salary cap almost immediately and most will go to the wall within a couple of years. Then RL in this country will return to the level that is currently sustainable ie semi-pro.

#5 Cardypaul

Cardypaul
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

That's ok let them go just make it plain that they and their players will be unable to take part in RFLP run competitions ie challenge cup and international games.

#6 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

Who were the 6?

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#7 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 479 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Wigan
Warrington
Huddersfield
Hull
HKR
Catalan

#8 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

Let the 6 break away, I am sure it will be great watching them play each other 10 times a year.

I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#9 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

How hypocritical of Neil Hudgell and Hull KR, who actually benefited from the promotion and relegation system - as did Huddersfield.

Posted Image

#10 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Wigan
Warrington
Huddersfield
Hull
HKR
Catalan

Any club who DR with these six should also be ashamed as they are not in it to benefit the championship club they are with they have proved that today

#11 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

Those six clubs have just made the game a bigger laughing stock than it already was;..Which big business would ever want to sponsor a game with so much IN-FIGHTING; Surely the vote should be done without them at the next full meeting and then let them please themselves after that;

#12 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

Any club who DR with these six should also be ashamed as they are not in it to benefit the championship club they are with they have proved that today

Ashamed? How so? Do you really think that Ken Davy is in cahoots with Kevin Nicholas over how he intends to vote for a change in structure? You're bang out of order by saying that my club should be 'ashamed'.

Posted Image

#13 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

They havent done there cause any favours at all by this

#14 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

What are their proposals? Have they any? They haven't said and therefore it is just to upset the orgnisation of the RFL obviously to their advantage and sod the rest of us. As has been said. If they don't like it then let them lump it .

#15 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Well fev have just signed a player on loan from the Wire for next year

http://www.featherst...le.php?id=12392

Does anyone know what the 'Rebels' are proposing and what they have a problem with?  It looks to me like it's the distribution of monies and running of the game rather than the new league format and P&R?

If it's the money i think i saw somewhere that 75% of it is staying in SL so that sounds more than enough and they are being greedy..........If they have a problem with how the game is run and marketed i hardly think the RFL have covered themselves in glory on that front and they may have a point.

AS far as i'm concerned the main thing is P&R........we badly need that back cos the regular season is a boring without it.

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

What are their proposals? Have they any? They haven't said and therefore it is just to upset the orgnisation of the RFL obviously to their advantage and sod the rest of us. As has been said. If they don't like it then let them lump it .

Their proposals are no change.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#17 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

well then it's time they got the blinkers off

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#18 tuutaisrambo

tuutaisrambo
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

So basically the 'rebels' are saying everything is fine as it is and the rfl just need to be better at marketing it....... hence the press release:

"The six clubs blocked a decision on the format of Super League from 2015 on the basis that any debate on change should only take place alongside a review of the competition’s commercial management and governance."

I suppose it's just coincidence that the commercial interest in rugby league has fallen since we scrapped promotion and relegation then?

TEAMROVERS_small.jpg

#19 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Apart from they want P&R one up and one down, commercial side of SL looked at and a greater say over SL.

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

Apart from they want P&R one up and one down, commercial side of SL looked at and a greater say over SL.

Not at this meeting.  That's something for the future - if there's to be a change in the league structure, they want a number of related issues looked at at the same time.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users