RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

WC betting thread

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

I know my previous gambling threads have ended in ignominy for myself, but I'm excited about the World Cup so will definitely be having a flutter.

Starting with the opening game, I see England are available at 4/1 to win with Stan James. I don't really think this will happen, but for the sake of patriotism I'm going to stick a bit on anyway.

Also in the opening game, I think Kallum Watkins to score first at odds of 18/1, again with Stan James, looks pretty generous.

For the tournament as a whole, I think New Zealand look a fair bet to take home the trophy at the generally available 4/1.

Top try scorer is a hard one to predict, but with a potential try-fest against Ireland I think Akuila Uate certainly looks overpriced at 66/1 with Paddy Power.

Anyone else got any selections?

#2 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

The handicaps have come in! Here are the furthest odds currently.

England are +14 against Australia (-12).
France are -2 against PNG (+4).
Wales are +6.
NZ are -40 against Samoa (+44).
Fiji are -16 against Ireland (+20).
Tonga are -16 against Scotland (+20).
Usa are +8 against the Cook Islands (-eight).

I suspect the England game will end up nowhere near handicap but either because we'll win or Australia will win by 20-25. As somebody pointed out the other day, they very rarely beat us by a margin of around 10-14. Since reforming as England we've lost by 48, 10, 30, 20, 16 and 22. Even as GB we only lost within that margin twice since 1990.

As for the other games, after the weekends games and seeing who they have to come back, I think Italy will stuff Wales. It was only a friendly but when have Wales even got close to us in a friendly? I also think USA will beat the Cook Islands. France-PNG is a real tough one to call, it depends which France turns up and I suspect PNG might win it.

The bookies have gone for the pacific nations over the home nations, I'd say Ireland stand a better chance of turning it around than Scotland do.

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 24 October 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Uate at 66/1 has to be worth a shot

#4 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

Boyd n morris are the assuies wingers so dowt uate will get top scorer
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#5 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Boyd n morris are the assuies wingers so dowt uate will get top scorer

Well noted, however, Uate is playing for Fiji at this WC...

#6 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

Wales to win their group.

Fun bet - Brough to score a try, conversion, penalty and drop.

#7 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

England have gone out to 6/1 to beat Oz on a site called Winner. Surely worth a crack at that price?

#8 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

Using Skybet I have a fiver on Hall to score first at 15/1 (price boosted). Pretty decent odds so worth a punt.

First points of the match being an England Penalty is 10/1! Which to me seem pretty big odds for a game like this, I think if England get within 30m of the Aussie line and get a penalty early on then they will take the two to get things moving. No?

#9 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

I've gone for England at +14 in the possibly vain hope that the Aussies get off to a slow start in the competition.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#10 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Using Skybet I have a fiver on Hall to score first at 15/1 (price boosted). Pretty decent odds so worth a punt.

First points of the match being an England Penalty is 10/1! Which to me seem pretty big odds for a game like this, I think if England get within 30m of the Aussie line and get a penalty early on then they will take the two to get things moving. No?

Worth a punt at that price.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#11 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Gone for Italy at -6 against Wales. Purely on the basis that Italy beat England who normally put seventy past Wales.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users