Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

No Graham

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

I'm no fan of McNamara but he has taken the correct course of action to nip in the bud the poor attitude shown by some of the players.  

The message is loud and clear, "If you can't operate in a professional environment then you will not represent your country.  I doesn't matter who you are or what you think your standing in the game is - your gone".

Now let's put all this mess behind us and play and operate as a team, it's the only chance we have of beating the Aussies and Kiwi's.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#22 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm no fan of McNamara but he has taken the correct course of action to nip in the bud the poor attitude shown by some of the players.

The message is loud and clear, "If you can't operate in a professional environment then you will not represent your country. I doesn't matter who you are or what you think your standing in the game is - your gone".

Now let's put all this mess behind us and play and operate as a team, it's the only chance we have of beating the Aussies and Kiwi's.

I hope the players involved are embarrassed. As pro players representing their country in the pinnacle of their sport and they couldn't go a couple of weeks without going on the lash.

#23 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

I think some people are seriously underrating Graham here. He's one of the world's best props and will be a big miss for us. I think Tom Burgess should be able to do a reasonable job, but he's certainly a level or two below Jammer.

#24 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

Why hasn't this strong Disciplinery message been hammered home at some point in the last 3 years! I'm not blaming McNamara for everything but he's been in charge long enough to have stamped hs authority on the squad. The fact that he hasn't has lead to breaches of discipline during the actual tournament that he's been building for for 3 years and as such has undermined our chances.

#25 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

Why hasn't this strong Disciplinery message been hammered home at some point in the last 3 years! I'm not blaming McNamara for everything but he's been in charge long enough to have stamped hs authority on the squad. The fact that he hasn't has lead to breaches of discipline during the actual tournament that he's been building for for 3 years and as such has undermined our chances.

How do you know he hasn't? Maybe the players are just thick...

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#26 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

I think some people are seriously underrating Graham here. He's one of the world's best props and will be a big miss for us. I think Tom Burgess should be able to do a reasonable job, but he's certainly a level or two below Jammer.

Completely agree, after Tompkins and Sam Burgess he was my next definite in the starting 13. Canterbury player of the year, one of the best performing props in the NRL, respected or at least highly regarded by all in the Aus squad (apart from Slater perhaps he he) and bags of experience which is what this England squad lacks. He will be massively missed and his absents is a real dent to our chances of an upset. He's so passionate when he plays and can lift any team with a good carry, IMO there is no replacement prop who can fill his boots.

#27 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

James Graham is a pretty good player, but I'm not panicking over his ommission. Every time I've seen him play he looks as if he's running through wet cement in the latter stages.

I agree, I think he huffs and puffs too much without making large yards. I've not been overly impressed with his international performances, however someone's bound to tell me how good he's been in NRL this season? What worries me is we don't seem to have a better replacement.

* Oops, just seen above, didn't realise he was bulldogs player of the season. He'll probably be back for other two matches determined to make a statement hopefully. Rather than sulking.

Edited by Southerner, 24 October 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#28 Daltoni

Daltoni
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

I agree, I think he huffs and puffs too much without making large yards. I've not been overly impressed with his international performances, however someone's bound to tell me how good he's been in NRL this season? What worries me is we don't seem to have a better replacement.

* Oops, just seen above, didn't realise he was bulldogs player of the season. He'll probably be back for other two matches determined to make a statement hopefully. Rather than sulking.

http://www.bulldogs....-the-Year/85773

you made me have to double check though!  ;)

#29 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

we had a huge health and safety dressing down today at work -200 guys pretending to respect one #####, the result was everyone walked away miserable, not wanting to do the job, team morale gone just waiting for the hooter---- the biggest ones to suffer this drinking thing will be the fans as usual, -the whole team can take to the field drunk as for me as long as they win I don't care

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#30 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,249 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

I think McNamara was lucky he was dealing with this group of individuals, as we can reasonably cover for all of them, while making it clear reputations won't he enough to guarantee selection and asserting his authority. If the drinkers had been Hall, Sams T And B, Roby and Josh, we'd be in deep trouble.
Hill and Mossop are wonderful players. They can give us 60 hard, efficient minutes and Hill can offload very well. That leaves 40 minutes between 2 Burgesses. I am sure they can get through that.
In a way I hope the 17 picked seize their chance and the group that wanted to go on the lash rather than prepare reflect in their blazers at Old Trafford.
Seize the day boys - immortality awaits!

#31 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:15 PM

"I am playing all the right players but not  necessarily in the right positions." ;)

tee hee very good Eric

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#32 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,978 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

we had a huge health and safety dressing down today at work -200 guys pretending to respect one #####, the result was everyone walked away miserable, not wanting to do the job, team morale gone just waiting for the hooter---- the biggest ones to suffer this drinking thing will be the fans as usual, -the whole team can take to the field drunk as for me as long as they win I don't care

Great analysis and good example :locomotive: Really

#33 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Great analysis and good example :locomotive: Really

thanks

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#34 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Stupid decision to leave Graham out. Simple fact, we need our best players out on the park.

I can see it now, battered by Australia, fail to make the final, and overall losers again.

Worry not, we can all then sit back and say, "But Steve Mac showed them who was boss"

Graham is a super player, and the Australians must be sat in their hotel peeing in their tracksuits laughing at us.

#35 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:59 PM

and the Australians must be sat in their hotel peeing in their tracksuits laughing at us.

And not out drinking when they aren't supposed to be, or missing training sessions. That, more than anything McNamara is doing, is why they will continue to beat us.

#36 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

Stupid decision to leave Graham out. Simple fact, we need our best players out on the park.

I can see it now, battered by Australia, fail to make the final, and overall losers again.

Worry not, we can all then sit back and say, "But Steve Mac showed them who was boss"

Graham is a super player, and the Australians must be sat in their hotel peeing in their tracksuits laughing at us.

So ill discipline should be part of a team environment.A similar thing happened when Tony Smith was in charge of the England set up and look what happened there.At least Mcnamara has got one thing right.Poor discipline isn't tolerated,no matter who the player is.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#37 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

I don't think it is a case of McNamara showing them who is boss, more likely McNamara and the senior playing group.

The players had been told not to go on the drink.  The majority of players were professional, respecting their coach, each other and the aspirations of their country. Five of the squad showed no respect to what their team mates thought or how their actions would affect what the team is hoping to achieve.  

If I was a player missing out on an England shirt behind someone who had blatantly broken team rules, I'd be less than impressed.  This course of action had to be taken IMO.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#38 Simmo

Simmo
  • Banned
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:38 PM

And not out drinking when they aren't supposed to be, or missing training sessions. That, more than anything McNamara is doing, is why they will continue to beat us.

OK good. So by your reckoning we should beat them this time.

I'm looking forward to it.

#39 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Without James Graham will England's forwards lack bite...

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#40 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

I hope mcbanana isn't setting up his excuses :(

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss