League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Could You Stop Drinking?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Booze (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Could you stop drinking alcohol for a few weeks before an important event?

1. Yes (30 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. No (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Simple really.  Could you stop drinking for a few weeks if something important was coming up? 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,150 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:44 PM

Yes

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#3 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yes. I did it 18 months or so ago, found the longer i went the less i missed it. Lasted from before xmas to after Easter.

#4 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

The amount of weight that I have put on over the last 12 months I could do with a break in order to get back in shape. I have just bought a bike so planning on riding the hell out of that as well.

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

Voted yes.

I have now absolutely sailed through the Theory. Hope I never have to sit the Practical.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,021 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Simple really.  Could you stop drinking for a few weeks if something important was coming up? 

How important and how many weeks?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,797 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

Absolutely.
I drink almost nothing these days. I used to drink like a fish. I still drink but only do it now to get drunk. I don't see the point in drinking otherwise.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#8 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

How important and how many weeks?

Say 4-5 weeks and a world cup.... so pretty important!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#9 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Depends on what. If it was life or death of course but what would be that important that you would have to change things for?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#10 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Badum tish

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,777 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

Just joking, folks.

:biggrin:

Alcohol1-233x300.jpg

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

I just don't get why professionals can't?  Same with smoking?  Same with fat forwards in union?  You are a professional, paid to train and play and be in peak condition?

#13 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,030 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Couple of weeks back I did eight days straight with no alcohol, probably the longest period for many years.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#14 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,051 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

Couple of weeks back I did eight days straight with no alcohol, probably the longest period for many years.

I normally abtsin Sunday to Thursday, but I enjoy a drink at weekends, it helps me relax, sometimes I get so relaxed I can't move!
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#15 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Great thread this. I was a 20 units a night person, until something really great happened in my belated time of life. Even before this I always stopped for lent ( even though I'm not really of faith anymore) The real farcical thing that I find is that alcohol is almost a shield. I never ever miss work, if I have one day off in ten years it is a minor epidemic for me. Yet when I cease totally I undergo all sorts of ailments. Take this 'Stoptober' I bought in, yet three quarters of the way through it, I have been hospitalised with Kidney pains, 99% a stone, have had tonsillitis and a cold and sore throat.

I guess the germ killers in hospital are Medi Swabs and Handwash, both of which have a predominance of Ethanol as their active ingredient. Maybe wishful thinking, but may be linked, who knows?
I'm nearing the half ton now, have added responsibilities and would like to stop forever. Smoking I found a piece of urine to stop.

#16 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

I stop for three or four weeks once a year. Started by accident but I quite liked doing it, so have kept it up for the last few years now.

If I was a professional sportsman I'd not drink at all. I'd be looking to get absolutely every single ounce out of my body whilst competing at that level.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#17 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:47 PM

Didn't read the thread properly and clicked yes. I thought the thread meant could you stop altogether. It's not hard to stop drinking for a few weeks.

#18 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

If part of the deal to be in the squad was to abstain then yes. What I would not do is agree to keep off the sauce, then go out on the lash, get found out and dropped from the squad and then whinge in the press about how unfair it all is.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Yes, but booze isn't really a big deal to me.

Cheese, however...!

Some players almost ache for 'Mad Monday', their chance to relax and let off steam after all their hard work.

As for the England boys last weekend, rules is rules.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

If part of the deal to be in the squad was to abstain then yes. What I would not do is agree to keep off the sauce, then go out on the lash, get found out and dropped from the squad and then whinge in the press about how unfair it all is.

At least the World Cup has captured a wider audience. :)

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users